LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:42 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
The advantage of capturing companions and allies is rather obvious, while minions, as lem0n points out, might not seem very useful on the surface.

However, consider the following scenarios:

- Shelob hits the table. Everyone knows she’s a pain the butt his her ridiculous vitality (and often enduring, to boot). But her strength, at least initially, is manageable, so chances are pretty good that you can have a companion with capturing text beat her and thus pay some additional cost to capture her (probably the most common way to capture). Her fierceness then doesn’t matter, since she’s not around for the fierce skirmish phase. And her twilight cost likely isn’t as high as the Shadow player had to pay to get her out in the first place (thanks to probably roaming penalties), so you might want to consider paying it to keep her wrapped up should you move again.

- There are plenty of little minions that can wreak havoc if they’re around for fierce skirmishes or the regroup phase. Good examples include (but are hardly limited to) Orc Miscreant, Isengard Orcs, several Nazgul, and multiple versions of Grima and Gollum. You might be able to win skirmishes against them and beat them up, yes, but you may not be able to finish them off. Capturing them instead takes them and their painful abilities out of play without having to worry about something like damage bonuses or direct wounding or archery to do the job for you. Nice and simple.

- It’s harder, certainly, but it is possible to capture bigger minions for a short while...usually when they are exhausted (or at least wounded a bit). You likely won’t be able to keep them under wraps for long since they’re usually so costly, but even taking big, fierce minions away during the fierce skirmish phase can be huge. The Witch-king is a good example. Heck, if you’re lucky, you might even be able to snag The Balrog or Sauron himself! Not incredibly likely (or realistic), but if you could pull it off, the look on your opponent’s face would be priceless. Very Happy
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am
Problem is that for the FP player adding twilight to keep captured minions is almost no cost at all. If you caught the Balrog, you could keep adding 14 every time you move - after a while, it just isn’t going to make a difference to you anymore.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:54 am
Maybe you could specify a limited number of sites that any character could be captured for, or maybe just for one turn. At the end of that turn or number of sites moved, the character is returned to its owner.
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
Problem is that for the FP player adding twilight to keep captured minions is almost no cost at all. If you caught the Balrog, you could keep adding 14 every time you move - after a while, it just isn’t going to make a difference to you anymore.

Sometimes, no, it won’t. If their deck is built around one big minion like Ol’ Balgy, then you just wrecked it pretty good, and adding tons of twilight to hold onto him doesn’t hurt.

But if you’re facing, say, a swarm, you don’t want to be adding ANY twilight. Or if there are several mid-level minions, capturing one and paying to hold onto it just means more twilight for other minions to be played instead.

That’s also why there are rescuing cards, though. The Shadow player still has a chance to get them back even if you DO pay to keep them.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards