LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
micah247
Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 pm
--- description ---
This is my idea for a Southron deck that takes initiative and uses it to wound like crazy.
--- end description ---

Deck

Minions
1 x Southron Scout
4 x Desert Sneak
4 x Desert Runner
4 x Desert Warrior
4 x Desert Scout
2 x Southron Invaders

Events
3 x Red Wrath
3 x Whirling Strike

Possessions
4 x Raider Bow

Conditions
4 x Harsh Tongues
1 x Under Foot

Total: 34 cards

The basic idea is to use Harsh Tongues to gain Initiative (if they do not give it to you already) Then the Desert minions become very painful. If they choose not to assign you get free wounds on the ring bearer. Use the Raider Bows for Archery Damage and to get the requisite twilight for Red Wrath and Whirling Strike. Under Foot can be devastating at later sights if they flood the pool. The Southron Invaders allow you to replay minions from the discard.
I would like some feedback. I thought about adding some Mumak to make the minions fierce so they have to be assigned 2 times, Ships of Great Draught for some card cycling, and also New Strength Came Now for a strength bump, but I am unsure what to remove.

Also I was thinking of pairing this with Sam Great Elf Warrior Fellow side, but any suggestions are appreciated.
Last edited by micah247 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:32 pm
Unfortunately, from someone who once had a harsh tongues deck, it’s pretty rubbish and I’ve been significantly happier since I converted to threat Southrons instead. The only card from the gaining initiative cycle worth a damn from my experience is streaming to the field, but never mind.

Leaving that aside, you can never go wrong with more whirling strike or red wrath especially instead of rout or under foot - apart from anything else, this is your prime way of killing people without having to fulfil the tough conditions of harsh tongues.

I would suggest some of desert spearman* or desert warrior again for some alternate ways of wounding people, and also because they’re quite cheap. Especially if you can pull off under foot, between desert warrior, desert runner and desert sneak you can get a pretty decent swarm going if all else fails.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
micah247
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:38 pm
Hmm. Those sound like decent ideas. Also, my free peoples ended up being 34 so I added a couple of cards. Original post edited with the changes.
NappyKorn
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 pm
I have a deck like this but won’t post it on your thread unless you want to see what I came up with. If so let me know and I will post it here for you. If you don’t want it or rather have it PMed instead that is cool as well won’t hijack your thread with my deck unless you ask me to post it here Thumbs Up
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
micah247
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:07 pm
Nappy go ahead and post I am always looking for new ideas. Also if you have used it let me know how it worked.

BTW. My friend that still plays, and I only use through set 13 (bloodlines) so I do not have access to any cards after that set.
NappyKorn
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:19 pm
Ok that shouldn’t be a problem all the cards in this deck are before The Hunters block cards anyway. I have play tested it several times and it works well. It is pretty much the same idea as your deck but used different cards to get iniative. From my experience getting initiative with Harsh Tongues is just to Harsh. Anyway here is my deck give it a try and see if it works better for you.

Shadow (35)
2x Rallying Call (10U47)
2x Seasoned Leader (10R48)
3x Red Wrath (7U157)
3x *Desert Lord (4R219)
3x *Suzerain of Harad (7R170)
3x Corsair Buccaneer (8C53)
4x Desert Runner (7C133)
4x Desert Scout (7U134)
4x Desert Sneak (7C135)
4x Corsair War Galley (8U59)
3x Ships of Great Draught(8R65

Ships of Great Draught can use threats to add tokens, much easier than having weak minion last to regroup. Use the Corsair Buccaneer to get Threats as well as Rallying Call since all your minions are cheap anyway why not and an extra 1 twilight for a threat Thumbs Up With all the ambush (8 extra when you have iniative and Suzerain out) you should easily play Red Wraith, almost a certain death with the right wounding when assigned minion. Also to help soften up those higher vitality comps play Desert Lord with a Seasoned Leader to assion arrows to those comps. I have tested it out several times and it works well. If you are having trouble with acrhery decks remove the Desert Lord/Seasoned Leader combo and add a few High Vantage in Thumbs Up

Let me know what you think.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
micah247
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:35 pm
I was wondering if there was a good way to get Iniative with the Corsair War Galley, but I could not figure it out. Seems like you did a good job of that.

I seem to always go for the swarm thats why the cheap initiative minions drew me. Yours doesn’t promote the swarm as much, but I will definately try your idea on our 2nd game (we usually play a set of 3 games every other week). I will let you know how each one worked for me.
NappyKorn
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 pm
ok, I would like to know how it works out for you. It always worked well for me. It doesn’t win every game, but it is fun to play and can win.
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
micah247
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 pm
Well, heres how it went down.

My deck was hobbits with the southrons I made. It faced off against an Elf Archery/nazgul beatdown. My fellowship was devestated by blade tip and black bredth, and I could never get initiative with the Harsh tongues.(got a total of 0 tokens) I did manage to kill Arwen (the main skirmisher) with red wrath + whirling strike Archery killed most of the minions most of the rounds. At that point I was down to Frodo and he got killed, at site 6.

The next game I played Nappies minion side, with Noble Leaders, against Discard Hobbits/Balrog Watcher Beatdown. This time the minion side worked ok to get me initiative at site 2, but I was barely able to do any damage with all the hobbit healing. Turns out it didn’t matter as my Free peoples just ran to site 9 no problem.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:12 am
You need 4x Rout. Absolutely need it.

The typical Southron Initiative deck has 4 Rout, 4 Harsh Tongues, 4 Red Wrath, and four each of the wound if you have initiative guys, as well as some Raider Bows.

Cut 2 Southron Invaders, 1 Whirling Strike, Southron Scout and Under Foot for 1 Red Wrath and 4 Rout.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded