LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
man_flesh
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:03 pm
My play group in Western Massachusetts has been mulling over the idea of trying to hold an informal event for some time. We do have some cool stuff to give away like some uncut sheets and some boxes (I know they are cheap now, but they are still cool!) Mostly the reason is we would like to meet and play with other players from around the region. The format would most likely be expanded. We are considering allowing a few proxies for those who have had a hard time getting the newer stuff. We are completely open for suggestions from those who might be able to attend. Let me know if there is any interest out there.

Peace
menace64
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:07 pm
I think the idea is cool. But I’m all up in the Midwest. Crying or Very sad
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
man_flesh
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:57 pm
menace64 wrote:

Ya the Midwest is far. If you every come this way you are always welcome to play though.
What is it? What do you smell?
TheBlueWizard
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:04 pm
I’d probably be interested in coming down to meet folks from the area...as long as this could be a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

I might have some of the "O D xx" promos to put in the prize pool from the old days of being a dAgent. I could also run a tournament if you are interested in the help. I’m not a super rules lawyer on the new stuff, but I have run numerous events from leagues to PSQ’s.

My preference would be for a draft event from either Fellowship or Towers block. I also wouldn’t mind seeing a sealed deck event (levels the playing field, doesn’t require proxies and generally is a more positive experience for any new players or those of us who haven’t played a lot recently). If you could do sealed from Mt. Doom or earlier, I might be able to convince my wife to play as well. The more the merrier.

I’ve never played Expanded (we were all Standard back in the day). Now that Fight Klub is live, does anyone know where I can get the latest CRD?

TBW

(edit) - found the rules and CRD
man_flesh
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:46 pm
TheBlueWizard wrote:

My preference would be for a draft event from either Fellowship or Towers block. I also wouldn’t mind seeing a sealed deck event (levels the playing field, doesn’t require proxies and generally is a more positive experience for any new players or those of us who haven’t played a lot recently). If you could do sealed from Mt. Doom or earlier, I might be able to convince my wife to play as well. The more the merrier.

(edit) - found the rules and CRD

Good ideas. We do not have much experience doing draft or sealed but if you know how to run the event that would be a good option. I have always wanted to give that a try. Would you be opposed to doing War of the Ring block in either of those formats?
TheHobbit13
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 pm
menace64 wrote:

Same.
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
TheBlueWizard
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:29 pm
man_flesh wrote:

Good ideas. We do not have much experience doing draft or sealed but if you know how to run the event that would be a good option. I have always wanted to give that a try. Would you be opposed to doing War of the Ring block in either of those formats?

I have run several draft / sealed tournaments, so no problem there. Those are always the most fun...a little more work for the TD, but not too bad.

I don’t think that there are draft packs for the War of the Ring block (or Hunters block), so that rules that option out. Sealed in Shadows is fun as there are four different starters and that gives some variety in the games and the product is cheap. I just bought a box of starters and one of boosters online for a total of $21. Either Black Rider or Bloodlines would be good as well, but the product is a little harder to come by. Boosters for Hunters or Rise of Saruman are very hard to find. With needing 3 boosters for every starter in a sealed event, finding a box of boosters will be the challenge.

I’ll probably be willing to make the trip down for any format and can help run an event if you need the help.

TBW
man_flesh
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 pm
TheBlueWizard wrote:
man_flesh wrote:

I have run several draft / sealed tournaments, so no problem there. Those are always the most fun...a little more work for the TD, but not too bad.

I don’t think that there are draft packs for the War of the Ring block (or Hunters block), so that rules that option out. Sealed in Shadows is fun as there are four different starters and that gives some variety in the games and the product is cheap. I just bought a box of starters and one of boosters online for a total of $21. Either Black Rider or Bloodlines would be good as well, but the product is a little harder to come by. Boosters for Hunters or Rise of Saruman are very hard to find. With needing 3 boosters for every starter in a sealed event, finding a box of boosters will be the challenge.

I’ll probably be willing to make the trip down for any format and can help run an event if you need the help.

TBW

The store we play at, X9 Games, has plenty of both starters and boosters of Black Rider and Bloodlines. If we want to go that route we are covered. This sounds fun. I am going to try to promote this some more but still I do not expect the turn out to be huge. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion