LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
33%
  [ 3 ]  33%

66%
  [ 6 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:52 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Who i like the deck and article but without the deck I don’t think it really was a strategy on how to use these characters as much as a history lesson I’ll give it a 4.
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:33 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Much better.
The changes you made help quite a bit. I know that some people may have like for you to go more in depth but I feel that you did a great job.
I voted 5
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
AdultLink
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:19 pm
I guess I was of the crowd that thougth the article was really awesome, but that the focus wasn’t enough on strategy: the name of the contest. For a different kind of contest I give your ’history’ stuff a 5 no doubt!! In fact, that was the part about the article I enjoyed most. But since this is the strategy contest that makes the point moot. However, especially since you added more strategy and the deck list I’m voting higher! Nice!
Haves/Wants
donimator
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:02 am
Thanks for the comments Adultlink, much appreciated. This being my first article, I was kind of testing the waters a bit and through everyone’s great comments I have a much clearer understanding of what people are looking for.

My intention for this article was always to focus on strategy. The history and the strategy go hand and hand as I’m building a deck based solely on Tolkien’s historical or LotR-era references to characters in the books and how the qualities of those characters transfer to their counterparts in the TCG. I agree though, originally I had too much history and not enough strategy. Thanks.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting beside you saying, "Man, we screwed up!"
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:46 am
I do realize that not everyone would actually use a lot of these cards.

I’d like to see some really good reasons why I should use these cards other than their historical facts.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:06 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
theOmnipotentOne wrote:

I’d like to see some really good reasons why I should use these cards other than their historical facts.

I agree with that
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
donimator
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:46 am
theOmnipotentOne wrote:

Admittedly, this is a theme deck that might only see casual play. The drive to write this article was to investigate the connection between a card’s abilities and the fictional qualities of the named character and how the card fits in the overall Gondor culture (the culture of the books and the Gondor culture of the TCG).

That being said, in combination these cards provide abilties as a companion Special Ability that can otherwise only be achieved through additional cards. The advantage here is that you can have a leaner, meaner deck and the potential to use the ability multiple times.

As I said orignally:
donimator wrote:
Taken together, this ‘supporting cast’ of Gondor could combine in an effective deck. Based around Knights and fortifications, such a fellowship would give healing, direct wounding, minion and possession discarding and site liberation all without the need of any support cards.

With the ’main’ Gondor characters you cannot direct wound without support cards, nor can you discard possessions or liberate sites with the companions alone. Interestingly, this deck, while initially constructed more for its theme than its playability, proves to be quite flexible and responsive against a variety of Shadow sides.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A really good friend will be sitting beside you saying, "Man, we screwed up!"
sperzdechly
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:21 am
Very good history backgroud, I love this kind of things. Now playing gondor each of my companions will be closest to me. So bad, you didn’t put so much effort in explaining strategy and value of each character. I would split each paragraph in two - one half for history background, the other for strategy discussion. Then decklist and finally description of whole knight fortification strategy.
But it was nice experience to read it. Smile
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:08 pm
Great article! I have long since traded away some of my better Gondor companions and you have helped me realize how powerful some of the others can be. However i think a deck based on NL would be better... but your article wasn’t about that. Thanks again!

P.S. Please read my article! I need some feedback!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest