LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
Hazael
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:30 pm
Format: Extended [gandalf][dwarven]

This deck thrives on spotting twilight. It’s main focus is to put as much twilight out there as it can before the maneuver phase.

Why do I want to spot twilight?
Gandalf, The white wizard is strength +3 when I spot [3]. Gandalf’s Staff, Focus of Power makes him +1 more when I can spot [4]. Just look at the game texts of Undaunted and Under the Living Earth. Some maneuver events even need to spot twilight... Fury of the White Rider and Deep In Thought.

How do I get this twilight?
Followers. Pallando and Alatar must add [2] to during the maneuver phase to aid. This is [4] right there… each turn! Pallando makes Gandalf strength +1 and each time he wins a skirmish, you may discard a shadow condition! Alatar would go on Gimli to make each minion skirmishing him –1!
Not to mention, all the maneuver events I have add a large amount of twilight and do some serious damage to the shadows.

How do I keep them alive?
The Palantir of Orthanc, Recovered Seeing Stone can discard one minion before it comes into play, and I can use Wizardry Indeed or Fury of the White Rider to pick off a few more minions. Meanwhile, giving me more twilight for spotting later.
Roll of Thunder can discard possessions and continue to add to the twilight for spotting later.
Finally, whatever minions manage to make it to the skirmish phase will have to fight Gandalf. Gimli is ready for anything with his dwarven armor and high strength.

Axe of Erebor will be one of the first possesions to come out into play thanks to Barazinbar. It works great with from the armory. Cards start to pile up, and Gimli can use them whenever he needs to get strength +1.
More to my Liking can use the cards from it to get the maneuver events out when I need them. Axe of Erebor can use the shadow cards off of more to my liking to make him strength +1 too.

This deck is not meant to move twice each turn. It was made to handle anything and live past site 9. More and more fellowship sides in extended play are dying before region 3 even comes out. This can take swarm, strength, corruption, and even strategic wound with from the armory. Archery is one problem… That’s when discarding conditions, possessions, and minions helps to smother them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(44)
Starting Fellowship(2):
1 •the one ring, such a weight to carry
1 •Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
1 •Gandalf, The White Wizard

Companions/Followers(4):
2 •Pallando, Far-Travelling One
2 •Altar, Final Envoy

Possessions(9):
1 •Axe of Erebor
1 •Ring of Fury
1 Dwarven Bracers
1 Dwarven Armor
1 Hand Axe
1 •Glamdring, Foe-Hammer
1 •Gandalf’s Staff, Focus of Power
1 •The Palantir of Orthanc, Recovered Seeing Stone
1 •Narya

Conditions(10):
2 •More to My Liking
2 From the Armory
2 •Proud and Able
2 Endurance of Dwarves
1 Strange Meeting
1 Moment of Respite

Events(20):
4 Wizardry Indeed
4 Fury of the White Rider
4 Roll of Thunder
4 Undaunted
4 Under the Living Earth

[2]Mountain....Barazinbar
    [3]Battleground....Heights of Isengard
    [3]Underground....Moria Guardroom
    [3]Mountain....Starkhorn
    [1]Marsh....Expanding Marshland
    [0]Forest....East Road
    [2]River....Fords of Isen
    [0]River....Anduin Banks
    [2]Forest....Caras Galadhon
Last edited by Hazael on Mon May 01, 2006 1:27 am; edited 9 times in totalSome of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:36 pm
Cool idea - you may want to switch Glamdring, Lightning Brand for Glamdring, Foe-hammer so that you can remove more burdens. Also, some healing might be nice, because a lot of those cards exert you.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Hazael
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:30 pm
I dont know why I didn’t think of this before, but...

Altar, final envoy and pallando, far-travelling one
would make this deck even better!

I’m currently in the process of taking out useless event and conditions.
Some of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
Hazael
Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:12 pm
there... that should be much better. I will have the strategy text in real soon.
this just made the deck a whole lot better!

That’s a good idea Anxious Cheiftain. I took that one.

Just know, this deck does not nessesarily plan on moving twice every turn. But around these parts, everybody moves once each turn, because of the nasty shadow decks we build. This will be one of the few to be able to handle them all the way to site 9.

If I wanted to turn it into a race deck, I would put in Gandalf’s Hat and find some more ways to remove twilight.

...I just had a few more ideas. I will add them in later...
Toss Me and Mithril Shaft
Up All Night Productions
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
looks great to me!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
fingolfin
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:10 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
If you want more twilite put in more companions, but besides that Applause .
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
Hazael
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 pm
It’s nice to keep the twilight down to just the maneuver phase.

and any other companions in this deck would be too weak to handle the swarm.
Up All Night Productions
fingolfin
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:20 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
What about Pippen Wearer of Black and Silver, he is good in most situations. (as far as Hobbits go) Very Happy
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
Hazael
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 pm
couple things about that though...

1. I don’t have any way of keeping them roaming farther than what their site number says.

2. Pippin’s cost would mean I have to play him outside of the starting fellowship... Meaning less efficient as far as roaming goes.

3. Pippin can not be participating in a skirmish to use his ability... this is fine if I had enough companions to handle the swarms, but I only have 2.

thank you for your idea
Up All Night Productions
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:42 pm
Hazael wrote:
and any other companions in this deck would be too weak to handle the swarm.
Splash Ents.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded