LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:55 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation’s text reads:

Each time the fellowship moves, add 3 burdens unless you spot 2 other companions and discard 2 Gandalf cards from hand.

Now, obviously having 2 other companions negates the hefty burden penalty, but what if I don’t have any Gandalf cards in hand? I just ignore that drawback too, right?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Lost Heir
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 pm
I think you would have to add 3 burdens since you can’t do the rest of the other choice, but I’m not totally sure.

- LH
Check out my Trade List!
View the newest culture in my DC set, The Lords of Gondor: Gandalf
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:03 pm
Dain’s question actually sparked a similar one of my own. If your Ring-bearer is 1 burden away from corruption, is adding 3 burdens considered an action you’re fully capable of performing? Because if you lose the game when your Ring-bearer’s resistance hits 0, then I suppose it follows that you were never able to add the full amount of burdens. (This is assuming burdens are added one at a time like wounds, although I could be mistaken about that.)

The reason I’m asking is in case Dain’s question falls under the rule that says if you’re given a choice of two actions, you must choose one that you’re fully capable of performing. I’ve always played with the assumption that the burden side could always be fully met, though.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:32 pm
If you don’t have the 2 Gandalf cards to discard, then you have to choose the burden option.

If you are 1 burden away from corruption, you are still capable of adding 2 or more burdens.
All cards do what they say.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:53 pm
The only thing is it says "and", not "or". So it’s not a choice between adding the burdens and discarding the cards, but both. If you’re able to spot 2 other companions and therefore avoid the burdens (seemingly), I wouldn’t think that not being able to discard would mean you had to add the burdens. Now if it said "add 3 burdens OR discard", then I see exactly what you mean. But I don’t think that applies here, does it?

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
bibfortuna25
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:09 pm
You have to spot the 2 companions and discard the 2 cards in order to prevent the burdens from being added.
All cards do what they say.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 pm
Ahhhhh...I see now. Huh...I’ve just always read it wrong.

Okay, thanks. GP Not the answer I was hoping for, but that’s why I asked. Better to get it right. Thumbs Up

macheteman
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:24 pm
yeah, i know, i read it wrong for a looong time. oh well, it’s a little confusing...
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions