LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Deck for Multiplayer  (Read 3793 times)

June 04, 2016, 09:58:25 AM
Read 3793 times

matthewb82

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Deck for Multiplayer
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:58:25 AM »
Hello,

I have been out of the game for about 12 years, and am getting ready for a multiplayer game with old friends.  There are going to be about 5 people in the game, and we are playing sets 1-10 with no X-List but with errata.  Please give me advice on this deck (I haven't picked out an Adventure Path yet - we are going to use sites from all the movie-block sets at their appropriate site number).

Fellowship:

Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Aragorn, Heir to the White City

Legolas, Greenleaf
Gondorian Merchant
Aragorn's Bow x2
Blade of Gondor x2
Citadel of Minas Tirith x4
Gondor Bowmen x4
Citadel of the Stars x2
Stone Tower x2
No Stranger to the Shadows x2
The Saga of Elendil
Hardy Garrison
Second Level x3
What Are They? x4

The idea of this fellowship is to generate very little twilight, and dispose of whatever comes out without winning skirmishes through strength.  I figure that Gondorian Merchant and Hardy Garrison could work well together.  Second Level and What Are They? are to deal with big minions like The Balrog, Shelob, etc.  Stone Tower and Citadel of the Stars will help if the archery phase is skipped.  There is a lot of exerting in this deck, so the idea is to use Citadel of Minas Tirith to heal that up.  I plan to hold on to Legolas until late in the game, then drop him for a final push to the end.

Shadow:

Orc Cutthroat x2
Orc Scouting Band x2
Orc Assassin x3
Orc Scout x4
Orc Ambusher x4
Ulaire Nelya, Lieutenant of Morgul x2
Under the Watching Eye x4
Tower of Barad-dur x4
Dead Marshes x3
Our List of Allies Grows Thin
Terrible as the Dawn

The idea of the shadow is to be a royal pain in the @**.  These conditions will affect all of my opponents.  I am not going to kill anyone with this deck, but I should be able to inflict enough damage so that the other players can finish each other off.  Ulaire Nelya is there to help my fellowship by replacing key sites if necessary.  Terrible as the Dawn is to help deal with Galadriel, Lady Redeemed if she shows up.  Dead Marshes can help me with discard, since this shadow is very condition dependent.  The minions are relatively cheap (even with roaming), so hopefully that can help me move through my deck.

Do you think this deck is too small (60 cards) for a 5-player game?  I was thinking I could add some A Ranger's Versatility (even with the Errata it is useful, 2 exertions kills any minion, and Ulaire Nelya gets my forests/rivers out) and Eye of Barad-dur just to bother people.  Any suggestions for sites would also be recommended; I was looking at ones that add twilight for playing companions, etc.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:02:58 AM by matthewb82 »

June 06, 2016, 04:21:08 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Deck for Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 04:21:08 AM »
I like the deck :) I'm a bit concerned about only having Aragorn and Boromir for the Free Peoples though (For most of the game anyway), as Boromir's skirmish penalty is really annoying. Since you have No Stranger to the Shadows, you could add another couple rangers (Madril, Faramir, Mablung) and play Aragorn from The Prancing Pony or The Riddermark.

I do believe decks are meant to be larger for games with more players, due to more shadow phases and reconciles. I personally wouldn't risk 60 cards in multiplayer, but deck size depends a lot on personal preference, depending on how fast you cycle.

Not sure about the Ulaire Nelya in the shadow, he seems a little out of place. He also has a ruling that his ability works only on Fellowship Block sites. Not sure if that works in a format that mixes sites though. Also Grishnakh, Orc Captain is a popular minion for [Sauron] tracker decks, if you have him.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:23:04 AM by Dictionary »
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

June 08, 2016, 06:16:40 AM
Reply #2

matthewb82

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Deck for Multiplayer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 06:16:40 AM »
Thank you for the reply.

I have been play testing it against my wife, and the Second Level/What Are They? combo is working out very well (she is getting very frustrated as I keep bouncing her Balrog and Lurtz).

Hardy Garrison isn't working like I thought it would; I am thinking I am going to remove it and put in 3x A Ranger's Versatility (expanding the deck to 64 cards).  I am having an easy time moving through the deck.  I am going to keep Gondorian Merchant (rather than a 4th Second Level) as he is not susceptible to condition discard.  I've found it is a bit weaker at later sites when she drops multiple high-vitality minions on me (such as Troop of Uruk-hai).  I'm still getting through it, but A Ranger's Versatility will help (2 exertions kills any minion).

I haven't had a problem with Boromir; he has been able to wound fine to fight.  The Citadel of Minas Tirith is working out very well to heal him.  At early sites she is very frustrated; often the first minion I face is the Balrog at Site 5 because there is just so little twilight (usually between 2-3).  I was thinking of adding Faramir and his Bow, but I am afraid that is going to really dilute the deck and weaken my early game choke.  I desperately need to make sure I get 1 copy each of Second Level and What Are They? before Site 5 or I am in trouble.  So far there have been no problems with that; in one game I didn't get one of the cards until Site 4 and I was sweating a bit (but I was testing it with a different shadow that didn't cycle as well).

I was thinking of using Ulaire Nelya, Lieutenant of Morgul to help get out my later sites that are forests or rivers (ie Tol Brandir, which won't help many players).  I did not know about the ruling on his game text.  I can remove him though for extra wounding or more Trackers.  I do have 2 copies of Grishnakh, Orc Captain which I believe draws cards.  To bring the Shadow up to 32 I was thinking of adding 2x Eye of Barad-dur for hand-reveal protection.