LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Unheeded Tentacles  (Read 5236 times)

February 12, 2013, 09:11:49 PM
Read 5236 times

Jamacus

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Unheeded Tentacles
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
This has been a fun deck that I've gradually tweaked.  It can work for standard as well as expanded but I like expanded because I think the FP pairs well w/ tentacles.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Little Master
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure deck:
Doors of Durin
Crags of Emyn Muil
Anduin Banks
Neekerbreekers' Bog
City Gates
Cavern Entrance
Mere of Dead Faces
Mount Doom
Green Dragon Inn

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer
1x Fredegar Bolger, Fatty
1x Merry, Resolute Friend
1x Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
1x Sam, Great Elf Warrior
1x Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater
1x Sting, Weapon of Heritage
2x Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil
4x Make Haste
4x Unheeded
4x Birthday Present
2x Halfling Leaf
4x Home and Hearth
2x Scouring of the Shire
4x Shadowplay
1x The Tale of the Great Ring
1x There and Back Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Dark as Darkness
4x Foul Tentacle
4x Huge Tentacle
4x Reaching Tentacle
4x Strong Tentacle
1x Watcher in the Water, Keeper of Westgate
3x Watcher in the Water, Many-Tentacled Creature
3x Pitiless Orc
3x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Captured by the Ring
4x Evil-smelling Fens
1x Durin's Tower

Basically it's a make haste engine combined w/ unheeded and shadowplay.  It's quite robust, killing everything in shadow phase or discarding in maneuver.  Basically, every turn you pull 3 cards into hand with birthday present.  Ideally these should be 2 unheeded and one shadow play.  Now you may notice that you have 4 of each, so you have to use Merry to filter out the unwanted extra events.  You don't want to have your opponent put 4 Make Hates into hand before you get an unheeded.  For those that are wondering, you CAN use Birthday present with only 1 event in the discard pile.

Every maneuver you put pippin into hand and then play him next turn to remove burdens w/ home and hearth.  This also serves as a round about way of healing him.  Use the phial of galadrial to burn through your deck as fast as possible.  This both helps your deck by getting the engine running as fast as possible and helps your shadow by getting tentacles in the discard pile. 

The shadow pairs nicely.  The only point of the shadow is to prevent the opponent from double moving while also using as few cards slots in hand.  Your hand will frequently be clogged with hobbit companions and unplayed events.  I discard every tentacle I draw except maybe at the very beginning when I try to hit an opponent with the original watcher and kill some companions off w/ damage +2 huge tentacles.  Other than that just keep one watcher in hand and don't play anything on their first move.  Dare them to move again.  If they do, then drop the bomb on them.  The pitiless orcs are a little bit of tech if you face an ithilian blade deck. 

This deck takes a little bit of skill to play but I've had a lot of success with it.  Pretty much the only bad matchup is Moria and maybe Dunland. 

February 12, 2013, 09:18:02 PM
Reply #1

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Unheeded Tentacles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
I think any tentacle deck should use Smeagol Poor Creature on its FP side to help you filter more tentacles out of your hand each turn.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

February 13, 2013, 06:53:13 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »
I agree with Bib, for tentacles you need a discard outlet built in your freeps side. I usually used Leowyn. The Phial is nice, but I'd look for something that enables you to ditch all the tentacles from the 1st site. Robin Smallburrow would be nice if it wasn't killing Make Haste heh...

I'd play Daddy Twofoot for more event recursion and probably a copy or two of No Visitors for Bilbo.

February 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM
Reply #3

Jamacus

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
The smeagol is a good idea.  I also think I may add in a few more companions to kill off when I double move. 

No visitors doesn't work that well because it's another event that gets put into hand.  I should have nothing in the discard by maneuver phase making Daddytwofoot also kind of useless.

September 08, 2018, 10:00:13 PM
Reply #4

DerekjB85

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »
Very interesting, i'm gonna try this out.

"For those that are wondering, you CAN use Birthday present with only 1 event in the discard pile."

Can you provide an explanation for the above quote?

September 09, 2018, 02:28:15 AM
Reply #5

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 02:28:15 AM »
You certainly are able to use Birthday Present with one Event in discard. (Did this myself already ;))
Since you have only 1 Event your opponent is forced to choose it.
 But why it can used even though it says 'Choose 2 [Shire] Events [...]' ? I don't know for sure. I guess it is a special ruling by decipher?
Go King Standard!

September 09, 2018, 02:48:53 AM
Reply #6

RJH777

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 02:48:53 AM »
I believe it's something to do with paying cost and then completing an action as much as possible - same principle as to why you can use Foes of Mordor to exert your Gondor wraiths even when you can't spot any Sauron minions.

I find it a weird concept having played other games where you have to be able to fulfil the action to pay cost but there we go!

September 09, 2018, 03:08:23 AM
Reply #7

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 03:08:23 AM »
But the thing is, the cost is to add a burden. O'course you can activate Birthday Present if there're no [Shire]-Events in discard.
The adding is no cost, so it has to be something else.

I believe it's something to do with paying cost and then completing an action as much as possible
That could be a thing, but cost is something else (I think)

I find it a weird concept having played other games where you have to be able to fulfil the action to pay cost but there we go!

Agreed! You should've to be able to do all of the action, at least at the activation.  #-o
Go King Standard!

September 09, 2018, 07:21:52 AM
Reply #8

DerekjB85

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
Thanks!

I'll see what the Archives might have on the subject.