LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Wither and Deathtouch  (Read 6936 times)

October 31, 2008, 03:24:15 PM
Read 6936 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Wither and Deathtouch
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:24:15 PM »
If my crit attacks and deals damage, and has both these keywords, and the crit blocking has persist... do they get to persist?
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

October 31, 2008, 11:07:42 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Wither and Deathtouch
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
When they deal combat damage, deathtouch triggers and is put on the stack. Then, since players WOULD get priority, SBE's are checked, and see a creature with 0 toughness and put it into it's owner's graveyard. Since it had -1/-1 counters on it, it won't persist. Then, deathtough will resolve, doing nothing since the creature is no longer in play.

November 01, 2008, 08:54:49 AM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »
I think he was maybe thinking of a scenario where, say, Kitchen Finks are boosted by a pair of lieges and run into a 2/2 deathtouch wither. But yeah, deathtouch, by definition, occurs after combat damage, meaning the creatures has the counters and is then put into the graveyard, no persist.

I had a question. Can Quillspike, hypothetically, disrupt this?
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

November 02, 2008, 04:28:28 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 04:28:28 AM »
Nope. Counters from wither are placed AS damage is dealt (it's a different way to do damage, but it's not triggered or anything). As so, if a creature ends up with 0 toughness, SBE's are checked BEFORE any player would receive priority, so the 0-toughness creature will be put into its owner graveyard as a State-Based Effect before you have priority to activate Quillspike's ability.

November 02, 2008, 09:34:35 PM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
But...I think you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with 0 toughness at all.

The combo that he's looking at is when deathtouch kills the creature, not damage.

My question was also relating to that. Under this hypothesis. Kitchen Finks is facing a 1/1 wither deathtouch. The 1/1 wither deathtouch hits it for 1 damage, reducing the 3/2 Finks to 2/1. It is then destroyed by deathtouch, not by toughness being reduced to 0. As for that, the creature doesn't persist, Jordy, because the damage step is before the end of combat step.

My question is this. Could I hypothetically use Quillspike between the time damage resolves and Kitchen Finks takes damage to REMOVE the counter, so when deathtouch goes off, it persists?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:36:19 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

November 03, 2008, 06:47:34 AM
Reply #5

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:34 AM »
If the counter itself does not kill the creature, yes, you can. When damage is dealt, counters are placed. Then, since damage was dealt, deathtouch wull trigger (it's a triggered ability), and will go onto the stack. Because of this, players will receive priority, so when you have priority, you CAN use Quillspike's activated ability and remove that counter.
I missed the "boosted by a pair of Lieges" bit, which is why I answered the question with the Finks having 0 toughness. Sorry. Anyway, this way you get the answers to both scenarios! ;)