LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Do You Put Peanut Butter in the Refrigerator?  (Read 3321 times)

November 30, 2018, 04:07:02 PM
Read 3321 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Do You Put Peanut Butter in the Refrigerator?
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
This is one of the most important polls ever posted on this website, and it is a shame that it was posted far later than this website's heyday.
-wtk

December 02, 2018, 04:19:46 AM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: Do You Put Peanut Butter in the Refrigerator?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:19:46 AM »
Sometimes: if the brand tends to separate (i.e. the oil migrates out of the mixture and floats on top), then I find that refrigerating slows this process.  Otherwise, no, peanut butter will not go bad on the shelf before I finish the jar.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

December 02, 2018, 07:42:22 AM
Reply #2

Deckhunter

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
If it separates, just stir it.

December 02, 2018, 08:57:49 AM
Reply #3

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
I have never, before this post, heard of anyone ever under any circumstances putting peanut butter in the refrigerator. It's something I might expect out of an elderly couple, but that's just speculation. I even got up to check my peanut butter because I find it hard to believe we're having this conversation. "No refrigeration required,"it says.

December 02, 2018, 01:46:27 PM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »
To be clear, if your peanut butter is the way nature intended (ground up peanuts with a dash of salt and nothing else), it is supposed to be refrigerated to prevent separation. That said, the only time I put peanut butter in the fridge is when I fill up the Kong for my dog. Freezing the peanut butter inside gives her a treat that she can lick at for hours.

Traditional brands like Skippy or Jif which might have palm oil and sugars added generally do not need to be refrigerated.
-wtk

December 05, 2018, 04:45:43 AM
Reply #5

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »
To be clear, if your [insert man-made food here] is the way nature intended (insert process) ...

You crack me up :lol:

So you put the peanut butter in the kong and then freeze it? That is an idea I can get behind, might even give that a shot next time. I will say, I had a similar reaction to the notion that Oreos should always be kept in the freezer because they are best frozen. They were, admittedly, slightly better, but not enough to make me convert. Maybe refrigerated peanut butter is the way to go... But I doubt it.

So what sparked this discussion?

December 05, 2018, 05:31:40 AM
Reply #6

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
Oreos in the refrigerator?!  :o :o Oh, ok...
Go King Standard!

December 05, 2018, 08:21:44 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:21:44 AM »
So you put the peanut butter in the kong and then freeze it?
Exactly. Fill it up, throw it in the freezer. It's always nice when you think, "I'll be gone a little longer than usual" and just give her the Kong. She could still be trying to get at the bottom of it when we get back.

The impetus for this discussion is that I normally just get regular peanuts and grind them through a food processor with a dash of Maldon Salt. And that is supposed to be refrigerated because it doesn't have all of the preservatives. But it also usually doesn't last so long that I feel like it needs to be refrigerated.

The other day I went to a grocer next to my office and grabbed a jar of "organic peanut butter" that was just peanuts and salt and the jar clearly says "keep refrigerated." And I wondered how many people really did that.

For what it is worth, I think that a person who puts bread in the refrigerator has real emotional problems. And you wouldn't believe how many people put bread in the fridge.
-wtk

December 05, 2018, 03:24:56 PM
Reply #8

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
Bread in the fridge helps in very humid conditions, especially if you don't have AC.  Also, if you want ot have bread on-hand but don't eat it every day, so you want a loaf to stay better longer.

Or I just accept that I'm going to throw out some bread sometimes.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

December 06, 2018, 06:25:22 AM
Reply #9

Wyrden333

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 06:25:22 AM »
Why the #$&*@! wouldn't you eat bread every day? I mean it's an essential part of food, isn't it?
Go King Standard!

December 06, 2018, 08:27:25 AM
Reply #10

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 08:27:25 AM »
Why the #$&*@! wouldn't you eat bread every day? I mean it's an essential part of food, isn't it?
I don't eat bread most days.
-wtk

December 06, 2018, 09:41:16 AM
Reply #11

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Pasta, rice, tortillas, potatoes (boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em inna stew); lots of options out there

June 01, 2019, 03:48:57 PM
Reply #12

SudenKapala

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
    • Some deciphering required.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 03:48:57 PM »
Here we have different brands from the ones named. I've been eating it since womb. We never put peanut butter in the fridge. Never even knew that there were brands, anywhere, that actually needed refrigeration. Good to know. One step closer to full global knowledge. 8-)
... these old shores / and gardens fair / where all things are / that ever were before.

October 06, 2020, 06:36:15 AM
Reply #13

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:15 AM »
Reviving this as it seems relevant to the sandwich thread. And I want to.

I do not keep peanut butter in the fridge, but I know someone who does through habit from their time living in Bermuda. If it is in a cupboard, rather than the fridge, the ants will get into it.

October 06, 2020, 07:20:02 AM
Reply #14

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 07:20:02 AM »
I have never, before this post, heard of anyone ever under any circumstances putting peanut butter in the refrigerator.

Same. Although, I think organic peanut butter is supposed to refrigerated? I'm not sure.

October 06, 2020, 11:32:40 AM
Reply #15

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
So here's a relevant update: I've actually got some organic peanut butter now. And I must apologize to ket, I would absolutely keep it in the fridge because it does separate and requires stirring every time but 1) the jar says it's optional (says to put it in the refrigerator if you want it to thicken up) and 2) my wife has opted out (prefers it thinner).

Then again, now I'm in the exact circumstances in which I'm supposed to put it in the fridge and I'm still not doing that. So... Maybe I was right from the start? :lol:

October 11, 2020, 06:45:56 PM
Reply #16

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 06:45:56 PM »
Seeing those vote results makes me think we should be calling ourselves Peanutpantrypublicans. Our party would dominate.

October 12, 2020, 07:26:17 AM
Reply #17

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »
Agreed. All we need to do is decide on a canidate.

October 13, 2020, 12:01:01 PM
Reply #18

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »
So here's a relevant update: I've actually got some organic peanut butter now. And I must apologize to ket, I would absolutely keep it in the fridge because it does separate and requires stirring every time but 1) the jar says it's optional (says to put it in the refrigerator if you want it to thicken up) and 2) my wife has opted out (prefers it thinner).

Then again, now I'm in the exact circumstances in which I'm supposed to put it in the fridge and I'm still not doing that. So... Maybe I was right from the start? :lol:
This is big.

I'd note that I just get the kind of peanut butter that is just ground up peanuts and then season with Maldon salt myself. So yes, it separates, but if you keep it in a jar upside-down, the oil will at least separate to the bottom of the jar when it is time for use. It's usually not so bad that a quick stir with a standard table knife doesn't have it well mixed again.

So yeah, organic peanut butter, blah blah, but I still don't put it in the fridge.
-wtk