LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Dragonborn: Dorian or Minor?  (Read 1785 times)

August 23, 2021, 07:13:28 AM
Read 1785 times

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Dragonborn: Dorian or Minor?
« on: August 23, 2021, 07:13:28 AM »
To anyone who knows the difference between Aeolian (Minor) and Dorian, and is also familiar with the song Dragonborn by Jeremy Soule:

Skryim feels Dorian, but the sheet music shows 2 Sharps, which, combined with the fact that it seems to be written in the key of B, not E, would seem to imply that it's actually Minor, not Dorian. I don't if what I just said makes sense, but, I think it might actually be Aeolian/Minor, not Dorian. Several times throughout, it uses a G#, a major sixth in the key of B, which is the difference between B Aeolian and B Dorian, but most of the time it's a G natural, a minor sixth. Also, the chord progression is Bm, G, A, Em, which would seem to imply an Aeolian mode.

Both the internet and my family says it's Dorian (to quote my dad: "I'm trying to write a song more Dorian than Halo, oh, how about Skyrim) but that doesn't seem to fit with what I said above.

I've figured: I'm not as good at music theory as I thought, and/or, Skryim is in the key of E (meaning it's using chords from the key of Bm, which is kind of interesting).\

Also it's the same thing for Pirates. I think it's D Aeolian, my dad says it's Dorian.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:16:03 AM by JamesCB »

August 23, 2021, 03:02:01 PM
Reply #1

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Dragonborn: Dorian or Minor?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 03:02:01 PM »
I think the simple answer is that parts of the piece are in B Aeolian while others are in B Dorian! I think the most memorable/iconic section features a IV (E major including G#), which could explain why people tend to think of it as B Dorian.

In my understanding it's not uncommon for pieces to use chords from more than one mode, even if there are notes that disagree between the two. Also, one thing to know is that even if the entire piece were B Dorian, composers might notate it as a two sharp key signature and then put in the accidental for G# every time it appears. Someone looking at the music for the first time might see it as B minor with some weird modifications here and there, but at least they'll have the key centre and overall feel right. That's more helpful than seeing three sharps and thinking at first it's in A major or F# minor (as those are the most common modes).

I hope that's helpful- I'm not an expert but I'm trying to understand these things better myself!

August 24, 2021, 06:56:35 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Dragonborn: Dorian or Minor?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 06:56:35 AM »
That was helpful, thanks for 'splaining it at me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:15:46 AM by JamesCB »