LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Assassin The Game 3.0  (Read 9831 times)

July 23, 2022, 08:13:36 AM
Reply #90

Incognito

• Professional Assassin
  • Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • You're next.
Re: Assassin The Game 3.0
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2022, 08:13:36 AM »
It was a dark and stormy night, but in the quiet town of Rivendell, Elrond was throwing a rager. In the House of Elrond there were guest from all walks of life, elves, men, orcs, trolls, even a few hobbits had made the long journey. Deep into the night, perhaps in the early hours of the morning, while Elrond was doing a keg stand a bellowing cry broke the revelry. Elrond and the other guests rushed to the basement where they found Scorgie the DJ (more commonly known as The Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit) dead on the floor. Piecing together what had happened, Elrond learned that a Hobbit Party Guest out of his mind on bath salts had pummeled the Troll to death with a Flurry of Blows. Fearing that if the cops were called he and his friends would be arrested for snorting some illicit "fire of Orthanc", they pushed the cave troll into the stream flowing through the house (because its rivendell, and that seems to be a feature most desirable in elven houses. in fact elven realtors are known recommend upgrading your house with a stream before you put it on the market as this will add value and make it easier to sell.) At any rate, the body of the troll was not found until the next day, when a shrouded elf was walking along the riverbank and discovered the body.

The Elven constables were called, and nothing seemed to add up. They set about collecting evidence and worked towards apprehending the killer. They quickly deduced that the body had washed down from the House of Elrond where they had had multiple noise complaints the night before. Following this, they deduced that the victim was in fact DJ Scourgie (AKA The Cave troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit. After questioning many of the party guests, they learned that a particular Hobbit Party Guest had been alone with the troll in the basement, and quickly but out an APB for his arrest.

One cop, constable Phallen Cassidy, quickly put these three facts together and made an arrest of the hobbit party guest. However, as the Elven District Attorney was assembling the case, Phallen Cassidy claimed that the troll was killed with some fancy Hobbit Sword Play. While this had an excellent logic (as how else would a hobbit party guest every be able to take down the cave troll of moria, scourge of the black pit? However, the coroner's report indicated no evidence of any blades being use to kill the troll. The report indicated the couse of death and blunt force trauma, with an extremely high count of blows. The elven police force had no choice but to let the hobbit party guest go on this technicality. Fortunately, a young upshot rising in the ranks put the final piece in place. Young Tunadan determined that while on bathsalts, the hobbit party guest was able to murder the cave troll with a Flurry of Blows. The hobbit party guest was rearrested, tried for murder, and convicted. Let's hope the jail in Rivendell holds hobbits better than the Wood Elves' jail in Mirkwood. And while Tunadan's name was in newspapers all across the land, the unsung hero JamesCB was the cop who did most of the legwork, followed every lead, and collected most of the evidence used in the trial of Hobbit Party Guest.

To wrap it up:
Tunadan was the first cop to correctly guess all 4 cards (Though Phallen Cassidy guessed very close to correct pretty early on, and I loved the logic. hobbit sword play would have actually let a hobbit party guest beat a cave troll, however, this is a game, so I was just going for titles that made sense together, and wasn't restricting to game play rules.)

The correct cards were:
Killer was: Hobbit party guest
Location was: House of Elrond
Weapon was: Flurry of Blows
Victim was: Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit.

Please drop some feedback on this. If you liked it, I'd be happy to tweak a couple rules and run it back with Towers block. I also noted a couple people wanted the kill to make sense from the actual TCG game rules perspective, which could be interesting, but also could limit some fun things (like the location could be a condition e.g. tower of orthanc). But ultimately I want this to be fun for everyone, so let me know what you want, i'll think about it, and can make a new scenario if people want to continue to participate. My observations are below, feel free to comment on them:

1. One thing to remember is that it is the first person to guess correctly that wins, so you don't always want to define every card perfectly before guessing.
2. 12 guesses per card seems excessive. Perhaps a total number of guesses that can be used amongst all the cards would be better (like 30 total guesses).
3. Guessing off the collector info sortof just made it a bit boring from my side, not sure how you guys felt about that one. I really liked the questions that related to the pictures and the text best. I'd love some input here.
4. I was just answering as I had time to check the site, was there any negative impact here? Should I answer a certain number of questions per day, etc?

Anyways, I had fun with this, and hope you guys did as well.

As for my identity, you may find it interesting that I returned around the same time as macheteman, but you may never know...

July 23, 2022, 10:55:54 AM
Reply #91

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2022, 10:55:54 AM »
Enjoyed it. JamesCB definitely deserves more credit than me for deducing. Perhaps a more difficult version is in order.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

July 23, 2022, 02:10:22 PM
Reply #92

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2022, 02:10:22 PM »
Incredible XD You are quite the storyteller! I think lowering the number of guesses makes sense. It's tricky because we are competing both with and against one another. I was hoping my radioactive question would make sense to you and not my fellow cops, but alas :P I've thought of some ways to be a bit sneakier next time though...

I had most fun trying to think up clever and concise ways to get as much information as possible -- whether the killer could bear a pipe or whether A Ranger's Versatility could be played. Those weren't directly about the card the way some of the other image/text questions were, and I'm up for whatever constraints you want to place on the cops. Restrictions breed creativity! Certainly don't mind putting collector and perhaps other "meta info" off limits, or at least limiting how they're asked about in some way.

I'm glad it turned out not to be a "weapon" in TCG terms and don't mind at all that it wasn't limited by the game's rules. After this round we've kind of established some expectations again, although only time will tell if these expectations will work out better than our original ones! I'm torn for location in particular, because some yes/no questions (one I considered was "are Uruk-hai roaming here?") don't really have a yes/no answer if it's not a site ("Sometimes?"). And you can get crazy with just card titles, it could've turned out that Hobbit Party Guest was trying to sell Shire timeshares to Elrond's wealthy friends and, after one too many rude comment and turned nose, killed Some Who Resisted instead of just roughing them up a bit :P

I wouldn't want to limit the possibilities, and yet at the same time I'm not sure I want to spend the first two questions of every topic trying to figure out the general card type so that the remaining questions are coherent. It's a tough balance. I think sites are the only ones that have this problem though? Everything else probably has a yes/no, even if it isn't helpful in any real way. "Why no, this event does *not* play to the support area." You're the psychopath, anyway -- I'm sure you'll figure something out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:14:53 PM by Phallen Cassidy »

July 23, 2022, 02:47:11 PM
Reply #93

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2022, 02:47:11 PM »
Towers Block would be fun for the next one, if you're taking requests \:D/
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

July 23, 2022, 04:21:18 PM
Reply #94

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2022, 04:21:18 PM »
I'm fine with Towers Block, but maybe we do sets 1-6 with the same number of questions. (Haven't thought this through a ton, just a random string of words that leaped into my mind).

July 24, 2022, 02:21:18 PM
Reply #95

Incognito

• Professional Assassin
  • Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • You're next.
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2022, 02:21:18 PM »
Ok, I'm going to think through the feedback, and plan a new round. stay tuned.