LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Smeagol Discarding & Uruk Trackers  (Read 2792 times)

October 05, 2020, 12:13:48 AM
Read 2792 times

slasherz90

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Smeagol Discarding & Uruk Trackers
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Master of the Precious
Ring: The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles

Adventure deck:
Eastemnet Downs
Eastfold
Golden Hall
White Rocks
Deep of Helm
Hornburg Armory
Hornburg Causeway
Wizard's Vale
Fortress of Orthanc

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Smeagol, Slinker
1x Sam, Nice Sensible Hobbit
1x Frodo's Cloak
2x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
4x Be Back Soon
4x Don't Follow the Lights
4x Safe Paths
4x Impatient and Angry
4x No Help For It
3x Severed His Bonds
3x You Must Help Us
4x Don't Look at Them
1x Cliffs of Emyn Muil

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Mauhur, Patrol Leader
2x Ugluk, Servant of Saruman
1x Uruk Follower
3x Uruk Foot Soldier
1x Uruk Hunter
3x Uruk Runner
2x Uruk Searcher
4x Uruk Seeker
2x Brought Back Alive
4x Kill Them Now
3x Vengeance
4x Many Riddles
4x Weary
1x What Did You Discover?

Freeps' overall goal is to limit twilight, avoid skirmishes, and pump Smeagol if skirmishes are unavoidable. Since it's a smaller deck, getting copies of Be Back Soon shouldn't be a problem to avoid the fight altogether. Biggest problem with this deck is how quickly the burdens can pile up, so if you're up against an Easterling deck, it's GG very quickly. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good way to limit or remove burdens outside of No Help For It or Impatient and Angry. Frodo's Cloak is a nice card to have, but I'm debating taking it out based on it's cost since this is a choke deck.

Typical tracker deck on the Shadow side, although I found it worked terribly against higher companion decks. Biggest challenge I see with this deck is the small card count due to the Freeps side in this deck; I could definitely see adding more pumps or weapons.

Let me know what you guys think and if what I can do to improve here! I'd appreciate it.

October 05, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Smeagol Discarding & Uruk Trackers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:21:23 AM »
A lot of things would make me nervous for this deck in this format. Your biggest benefit is that Towers doesn't see a ton of choke so you'll take many people by surprise. Still, without A Promise or anything Smeagol is your top fighter by far and you're hoping to discard him in the Maneuver phase. Even if he takes out a big minion (which will likely have 3 vitality and avoid it), Frodo is max strength 7 and Sam is a piddly 3 without events. Site 5 against Uruks is going to be especially brutal without Swiftly and Softly, and surviving sites 7 and 8 sounds difficult.

Honestly I'd swap this over to a Towers Standard deck so you have more to work with, but otherwise adding Pippin and Merry to discard or die when things get tough and Hobbit Sword for Sam will go a long way. Since you're discarding Smeagol and healing Sam, Samwise the Brave might help against Easterlings? If you keep Smeagol more often than not then I'd probably keep it as-is. Mind Your Own Affairs and No Use That Way will be great for putting away minions at the later sites, but still useless against Polearm.... Brace of Coneys is great, even if it does cost 1? You can always discard it if you're not gonna need it. I think Poor Creature would be perfect for this deck: you don't have to worry about wounds if you're just gonna use No Help For It and bring Smeagol back fully healed next turn, and you can use him to get rid of unnecessary FP cards and set up your Shadow hand a little better each turn. If Safe Paths is just your worst way to use You Must Help Us next turn I'd get rid of it.

For Shadow side, fully half of your cards aren't minions -- it's no wonder you can't take on big fellowships when you can't take advantage of the twilight they give. I think you're losing out by not having 4x Uruk Hunter and at least another Ugluk (though I'd get all 4 copies myself, he's the main reason these guys are worth playing). Uruk Foot Soldier is so situational I wouldn't keep him around at all. I'd cut down to 4-5 Skirmish events and 5-6 conditions to improve your odds of getting more than 2 minions out per site, it'd be nice to get 24 minions and 12 non-minions in the deck. I'm glad to see you include Brought Back Alive though, such an underrated card.

I'd also make room for a copy of Scaling Ladder to counter Mablung, Soldier of Gondor and win an extra skirmish against Rohan. For big fellowships there is no better Uruk-hai answer than Uruk Vanguard. You're sure to be able to afford it and you've got the battlegrounds to score 2 easy kills when he hits, plus whatever else you've got. With Many Riddles you might want to change tactics and play those on the expendable companions instead of the fighters. At full vitality you can attempt to assign Uruk Hunter and kill them all at once; when your opponent exerts to avoid that you can switch over to the seekers and runners who could otherwise get killed in the first skirmish anyway. I imagine you do alright against Ents though, with Brought Back Alive? If not then King's Room might be worthwhile to make sure those wounds go on everybody instead of mostly hobbits.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:38:00 PM by Phallen Cassidy »

October 06, 2020, 11:23:32 AM
Reply #2

slasherz90

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Smeagol Discarding & Uruk Trackers
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
This is super helpful- thank you for taking a look at this.

Definitely makes sense in swapping it to TS as PATHS, and the other cards you mentioned, would round this Fellowship out a lot more. I really liked the idea of adding and removing burdens, but it's too scenario dependent in order to remove burdens.

I made nearly all of the changes you suggested to the Shadow side and I believe it helped tremendously. I was able to win with the updated Shadow side by site 5 in a game I played yesterday (although it definitely helped that I was matched against unbound Hobbits); Uruk Hunter proved to be invaluable per your recommendation. Thanks again for your feedback!