LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LotR-TCG Card Generator using nanDECK  (Read 19541 times)

June 28, 2020, 04:33:12 AM
Read 19541 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
LotR-TCG Card Generator using nanDECK
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:33:12 AM »
Watch this: YouTube Video Tutorial

Latest download here.

Documentation is included as a PDF with each release.  The latest version can also be found here on Google docs.

Installation instructions: If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card portraits / card output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

Card Generator v2.0.3 Update

Big changes and old spreadsheets need updated; see here for update instructions.

Change Log:

• Fixing an issue where modifier type/subtype wasn't displaying properly
  • Fixed the resistance ring icon being named incorrectly, which made ring-bearers impossible to make.
  • Fixed One Ring template not rendering title.
  • Fixed rare text corruption involving thin spaces.
  • Updated nanDECK to the latest 1.25.3 final release.
  • Fixed Dwarven culture icons not showing on full art cards.
  • All absolute size-based columns have been replaced with size-factor columns that treat 1.0 as no change and 0.5 and 2.0 as half and double, respectively.  Some names have been altered as a result.
  • Added a column for manually setting the size of the modifier template title bar
  • Added a column for manually sizing the text in the type bar
  • Fixed a recurring thin spacing bug
  • Added support for creating mockup cards, either via the new force mockup setting, or on a per-card basis with the mockup tag.
  • Added new output format setting that can be set to various output formats, notably jpg.
  • Made various small adjustments to alignment/size that were found to be out of whack.

Card Generator v1.9.1 Update

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue which would sometimes cause decks to fail validation

Card Generator v1.9.0 Update

Change Log:

• Updated included nanDECK version to 1.25.3 b17
  • Fixed single-section card type panels rendering an error
  • Narrowed the margins of all game text to the top and left, bringing it more in line with later-era cards
  • Overhauled the autoformatting to no longer affect lore or promo text
  • Added thin space as a tag that replaces spaces in the game text (not lore or promo text) with the unicode thin space character

Card Generator v1.8.0 Update

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue where capital Js would get cut off in subtitles
  • Fixed an issue where single-card CSVs would cause titles and subtitles with spaces to get rendered with quotes around them
  • Added new template type Back, which only needs ID and Template set and renders the LotR-TCG card back.

Card Generator v1.7.0 Update

Change Log:

• Updated the included nanDECK version to 1.25.3 b16
  • Due to the updated nanDECK, fixed a long-standing bug relating to single smart quotes getting interpreted backwards.
  • Altered the disclaimer to use the positioned sprite version and not the standalone
  • Fixed Ally card type line rendering as blank when exporting cards via batch
  • Added aliases for full art (no template) and full portrait (portrait backdrop).  These should be considered the canonical tags moving forward.
  • Added new [rotate site templates] setting, which tells the generator whether or not to rotate the site templates.  Defaults to true (since the included templates are in landscape), but can be set to False if you provide your own portrait-aligned sites.
  • Updated documentation, particularly with a large section detailing the difference between no template and portrait backdrop.

Card Generator v1.6.0 Update

Change Log:

• Fixed culture icons using the wrong font size, which lead to cards having extra space between lines
  • Altered block symbol detection to permit a different sizing between the type bar ("Home 3T") and game text
  • Added new column "display type", which overrides the name displayed for the card type.  This permits alternate languages or template-compatible variants to use existing layouts.
  • Added new ally home label setting which controls how the "Home X" label is displayed for Allies.  This is mostly intended to be used for alternate languages.
  • Added new column "game text scale" which is a multiplier for the game text, helper text, lore, and promo text areas.
  • Updated example files to reflect recent column changes

Card Generator v1.5.0 Update

Change Log:

• Added support for overriding the text color of the type bar or the title/subtitle separately from the rest of the game text.  To do this, include the "title color override" or "type color override" columns and provide a standard hex color.  These values will default to what is already normally provided in game text color, but can be further overridden here if needed.
  • Added promo text support.  You can now include a "promo text" column to place bold text at the bottom of the card, similar to the dAgent and other promo cards.
  • Added helper text support.  Game text with the <helper></helper> tags around it will be rendered in slightly smaller italic text matching the helper text used in the originals.
  • Included new font which approximates the original promo text (but which is not really all that close). 
  • Sites which have a pre-rotated image can now use the "no rotate" tag to prevent the generator from rotating the portrait.
  • Rarities of O will now be replaced with the ring icon
  • fixed onering templates erroring out if they also had the full art tag
  • fixed onering templates not supporting full portrait mode
  • adjusted collector's info positioning
  • temporarily removed some of the smart quote parsing pending a fix from the nanDECK dev
  • added autobolding for the Ring-bearer keyword
  • added promo font setting
  • Fixed some issues with inconsistent and unnecessary spacing between game text sections
  • Decreased the size of game text symbols to eliminate extra line spacing occurring because of them
  • Updated the documentation

Card Generator v1.4.1 Update

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue where the Original-sized templates had an incorrectly named FOTR block icon, meaning that sites did not display the icon when exported at that size.

Card Generator v1.4.0 Update

Change Log:

• Added customizable setting key for non-breaking space.
  • Added oversampling by default to the original size templates.
  • Added support for custom site 'cultures' instead of using the hard-coded template name 'site'.

Card Generator v1.3.1 Update

Change log:

• Fixed an issue with the Gollum artifact and culture icon overlays not showing up due to an outdated naming scheme in the template filenames.

Card Generator v1.3.0 Update

Change log:

• Updated nanDECK version to fix a bug where using the batch file would make busted cards on some computers
  • Fixed batch file not updated to the latest nanDECK path
  • Altered tower and king replacement with digits (i.e. 3T or 4K) to be case-sensitive; this permits "4th" etc to be used without issue.
  • Added automatic en dash insertion when a - is in front of a digit.  Added manual en dash replacement of -- and em dash replacement of ---.
  • Added support for custom newline characters in addition to <br>.
  • Added full portrait tag, which will alter the behavior of the portrait to instead fill the entire card background (including border), which can be used to just place whole cards underneath the template without cutting them out.
  • Fixed auto-accent replacement being broken from the small caps rework.  Auto-accent rules overhauled so it should be a bit easier to make new entries.
  • Fixed twilight symbol replacement not working in italicized helper text.
  • Altered the image sizing filter to Lanczos for hopefully an easy fidelity upgrade.
  • Altered position and size of collector's info to be more compatible with longer coll infos.
  • Altered site game text to not cut off a bold 'damage +1' on the bottom line.

Card Generator v1.2.0 Update

Change log:

• The name/location of the card CSV can now be altered by changing the [spreadsheet path] option in settings.txt.
  • Font installation instructions updated. Based on new information, fonts do not actually need to be installed, and so are packaged by default in the same folder as nanDECK.exe.

Card Generator v1.1.0 Update

Change log:

• Fixed a bug where Maneuver phase events wouldn't autobold unless it was spelled incorrectly
  • Altered the smallcaps fonts to use a configured factor for the size difference between uppercase and lowercase
  • Extracted font choices into settings.txt
  • Added a new font scale factor setting which globally scales the size of all text (for custom fonts)
  • Altered sites to automatically rotate their portrait image 270 degrees
  • Added a set of default portrait images which can be used to author portraits of the correct size more easily
  • Revamped the documentation with troubleshooting and how-to sections

Card Generator v1.0.0 Release

If you've read my post about card templates, then you might have remembered I mentioned I was working on a script for generating cards from the ground up, so that manual photoshopping was unnecessary.

Well here I am, bearing gifts of the Valar.

I PRESENT an all-in-one script which can convert a CSV and a folder of portrait images into properly-formatted, 98% accurate virtual cards. It also works with all sizes of my previously-released templates, and with a settings change can flip between Original, Double, and Huge without any other changes on your part.

If you've been drooling over the full-art cards I posted in the other thread, well, this was the tool I used to create those.

Code is up on github, and the release zip on github includes nanDECK and original/double templates all packaged together.

There were several changes to the templates, which were detailed in the thread linked at the top.  I would encourage you to redownload if you have used these resources in the past, as it's all improvements.

All of the images in the other thread were built using this tool; some are recreations of existing cards, and some are brand new virtual cards.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know here and I will address them as soon as I see them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:28:07 PM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

June 28, 2020, 06:04:28 AM
Reply #1

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
Re: LotR-TCG Card Generator using nanDECK
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 06:04:28 AM »
I can't get custom pictures to work or the twilight symbol for [1] to work either. Other than that it works really good.

Also, theoretically you could put your physical LOTRTCG cards in sleeves and print these images and play with custom cards!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:12:16 AM by SGollum »
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

June 28, 2020, 11:02:48 AM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
So it comes with the two example cards in cards.csv, do those not render when you run the utility?

If you want to send me screenshots of your folder setup and a copy of the csv you're using I will be happy to look at what's up.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

June 28, 2020, 11:18:49 AM
Reply #3

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:49 AM »
So it comes with the two example cards in cards.csv, do those not render when you run the utility?

If you want to send me screenshots of your folder setup and a copy of the csv you're using I will be happy to look at what's up.

I am not beside my computer right now, so I can't show screenshots at the moment. The example pictures do work, but if I try to make my own pictures, those don't work even though I made the exact same pixel scale and .png. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do other than put the picture in the folder and the Excell spreadsheet?

June 28, 2020, 11:30:01 AM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »
nope, that's supposed to be all you need.  Portrait in "card_portraits", and then the name of the image in the "image_name" column.  Make sure you include the extension, i.e. "example.png" and not "example".  

As for the twilight, the only thing that I can think of is that the fonts aren't installed correctly, as noted in the documentation.  Do the [Dwarven], [Moria], or [2] symbols show up in the game text of Steel is Steel?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:32:27 AM by TelTura »

June 28, 2020, 01:25:57 PM
Reply #5

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:25:57 PM »
Very few issues so far for me:
- While reading the tutorial, I was wondering what to put under "culture" for sites. To avoid confusion, perhaps you should specify that you don't need to specify a culture for sites.
- I'm having issues with special characters. When I name my card "Úlairë Cantëa", it becomes something like "Â?lair« Cant«a".

The twilight and culture symbols worked fine for me.
Still haven't tried portraits.

June 28, 2020, 01:40:44 PM
Reply #6

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »
- While reading the tutorial, I was wondering what to put under "culture" for sites. To avoid confusion, perhaps you should specify that you don't need to specify a culture for sites.

I will add this to the documentation.  I think it's mentioned somewhere, but perhaps not in the correct place.

(EDIT: Added to the "culture" column section.  This is updated in the google doc link but has not yet been added to the PDF.)

- I'm having issues with special characters. When I name my card "Úlairë Cantëa", it becomes something like "Â?lair« Cant«a".

So nanDECK has a love-hate relationship with accents. Sometimes I've found it goes in just fine, and other times it seems to crap itself; it uses the installed Internet Explorer engine to render HTML, so I imagine that's part of it.

I would take a look at the section on the "all text replacements.txt" file.  This file contains a bunch of search/replace pairs (applied to the entire card's text), which includes all of the Nazgul names, so you should just be able to use "Ulaire Cantea" and have it auto-replaced with the necessary HTML-encoded version of "Úlairë Cantëa".  If you have a name not in that list of ~60 auto-replaced names, you can add new ones that follow the same pattern to that file.

Thanks for the feedback!  Let me know if that helps you overcome the naming woes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 01:46:50 PM by TelTura »

June 28, 2020, 01:58:33 PM
Reply #7

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »

Oh, and this could also be an encoding thing.  If you're in Excel or whatever, try modifying the Character Set or Encoding to "Western Europe / Windows-1252 / Latin" for your CSV when you save it; by default it's probably using a character set that's based on American usage which doesn't use accents.

June 28, 2020, 07:37:41 PM
Reply #8

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 07:37:41 PM »
https://imgur.com/LpuNydX

I finally got it working! I couldn't get the word Easterling to not be in bold because it thinks it's a keyword because of the period. This is Attea from the Lairs set.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:41:31 PM by SGollum »

June 28, 2020, 07:54:08 PM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 07:54:08 PM »
Aw nuts!  Should have known there'd be a case where the auto-formatter would fail, lol.  

Delete line 103 from game_text_replacements.txt and it will stop that.  I'll take a look and see if I can finagle a better autoformatter setup.

It looks like this:

Code: [Select]
HTMLKEY=,"Easterling.","<b>Easterling.</b>",,C

What did you do to fix it?

Also, use <br> tags to put newlines in the proper places.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:57:47 PM by TelTura »

June 28, 2020, 08:07:27 PM
Reply #10

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »
I forgot to download the fonts and write .png.

I wanted to make a card from one of the deleted scenes, so I have Frodo turning into Gollum. I know it's a really weird card, but I just wanted to make something unique  8-)

https://imgur.com/zUkzFMC
(Not entirely sure how to put the card image in the post yet...)

June 28, 2020, 09:46:29 PM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 09:46:29 PM »
I forgot to download the fonts and write .png.

Cool.  I'll add some additional info to the docs to try and head this problem off.

(Not entirely sure how to put the card image in the post yet...)

Get the link to the image itself (on imgur, usually click the image in your profile, then copy the link option that ends in ".png") and put it between img tags, like so:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zUkzFMC.png[/img]

June 29, 2020, 12:23:42 PM
Reply #12

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 12:23:42 PM »
Great, great job :)

Personally I have such an issue with generated files:

Any hints?

June 29, 2020, 01:04:16 PM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 01:04:16 PM »
Whoa.  That looks like nanDECK is trying and failing to find an internet explorer version that it is compatible with, and is instead using Edge?  That's the bing logo.  I will research this and post back with what I find.

June 29, 2020, 01:38:34 PM
Reply #14

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 01:38:34 PM »
Whoa.  That looks like nanDECK is trying and failing to find an internet explorer version that it is compatible with, and is instead using Edge?  That's the bing logo.  I will research this and post back with what I find.

I had that issue once. Closing everything and loading it back up fixed it

On a side note, is there any way to use a tengwar font?

June 29, 2020, 02:10:13 PM
Reply #15

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »
Alright, looks like there's a new setup step I might have to add.

Moro, give this a whirl:  Open nanDECK and click on the Config button in the lower-left:

And then in the options dialog, click "Enable Internet Explorer 11 for HTMLTEXT / HTMLFILE" in the lower-right:

And then restart nanDECK.  I think this will address the issue, but please let me know how it goes.

June 29, 2020, 02:11:44 PM
Reply #16

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 02:11:44 PM »
On a side note, is there any way to use a tengwar font?

Not at the moment.  I will throw it on my to-do list; it should be pretty straightforward to include.

June 30, 2020, 11:57:23 AM
Reply #17

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 11:57:23 AM »
Thanks but unfortunately in my case it says it is already enabled :( and problem remains the same. I'll give it some time tommorow once I have more time to debug it. I have a typical, up-to-date Windows 10 installation.

July 02, 2020, 12:47:55 PM
Reply #18

Moro

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 12:47:55 PM »
Ok, using batch script it looks the same on 3 different windows installations :D I've tried to find the cause but with no result yet

EDIT: Anyway, "manual" building via nandeck application gives better results ;-)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:09:16 PM by Moro »

July 02, 2020, 03:56:16 PM
Reply #19

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
Oh, so the issue only came up when using the batch script?  Hrrm.  That's odd.  I'll make a note of it in the documentation, tho, for future reference. 

Glad to see it works when actually opening nanDECK for you.

July 02, 2020, 11:35:20 PM
Reply #20

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:20 PM »
Card Generator v1.1.0 Update
See links in the OP.

Smallcaps are now more accurate, which should be noticeable in the title, subtitle, and card type bar. Site portraits are now automatically rotated 90 CCW, so you don't have to manually rotate those images anymore.

There is now a portrait_templates folder which includes examples for all card types at all template sizes, to make it easier to get images to the correct size.

Fonts may now be configured in settings.txt if you want to try and get Tengwar or Angerthas or anything else working.

Documentation has had How-to and Troubleshooting sections added, to make easing in somewhat easier.

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your card_portraits and card_output folders and cards.csv, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know here and I will address them as soon as I see them.

Full Patch Notes:

• Fixed a bug where Maneuver phase events wouldn't autobold unless it was spelled incorrectly
  • Altered the smallcaps fonts to use a configured factor for the size difference between uppercase and lowercase
  • Extracted font choices into settings.txt
  • Added a new font scale factor setting which globally scales the size of all text (for custom fonts)
  • Altered sites to automatically rotate their portrait image 270 degrees
  • Added a set of default portrait images which can be used to author portraits of the correct size more easily
  • Revamped the documentation with troubleshooting and how-to sections
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:28:29 AM by TelTura »

July 07, 2020, 12:28:46 AM
Reply #21

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 12:28:46 AM »
Card Generator v1.2.0 Update
See links in the OP.

Change log:

• The name/location of the card CSV can now be altered by changing the [spreadsheet_path] option in settings.txt.
  • Font installation instructions updated. Based on new information, fonts do not actually need to be installed, and so are packaged by default in the same folder as nanDECK.exe.

July 09, 2020, 01:49:29 AM
Reply #22

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 01:49:29 AM »
The nanDECK dev has issued a fix for the issue mentioned by @Moro in this thread.  If you're running into this issue (which only affects using the batch file), use the nanDECK version linked at the bottom of this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2459316/issues-exec-usage

There is a new version of the generator in the works that includes this updated version, but it won't be released until a particularly persnickity bug has been fixed, but this should tide anyone affected by the issue until then.

July 17, 2020, 03:07:08 AM
Reply #23

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 03:07:08 AM »
Card Generator v1.3.0 Update

See links in the OP.

Change log:

• Updated nanDECK version to fix a bug where using the batch file would make busted cards on some computers
  • Fixed batch file not updated to the latest nanDECK path
  • Altered tower and king replacement with digits (i.e. 3T or 4K) to be case-sensitive; this permits "4th" etc to be used without issue.
  • Added automatic en dash insertion when a - is in front of a digit.  Added manual en dash replacement of -- and em dash replacement of ---.
  • Added support for custom newline characters in addition to <br>.
  • Added full_portrait tag, which will alter the behavior of the portrait to instead fill the entire card background (including border), which can be used to just place whole cards underneath the template without cutting them out.
  • Fixed auto-accent replacement being broken from the small caps rework.  Auto-accent rules overhauled so it should be a bit easier to make new entries.
  • Fixed twilight symbol replacement not working in italicized helper text.
  • Altered the image sizing filter to Lanczos for hopefully an easy fidelity upgrade.
  • Altered position and size of collector's info to be more compatible with longer coll infos.
  • Altered site game text to not cut off a bold 'damage +1' on the bottom line.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:31:23 PM by TelTura »

July 18, 2020, 05:49:38 PM
Reply #24

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 05:49:38 PM »
Hi,

I am really loving the card generator, but I have a question. When I make a Gollum artifact, I notice that I get the gold overlay if the card is broken (Because I didn't specify freeps or shadow first time), but not once the card image loads normally, even if I add the artifact_overlay tag. Is there some kind of error or am I missing something?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 18, 2020, 09:48:38 PM
Reply #25

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Aha, this is due to the culture change that I did to gollum.  It used to be that you just had a "gollum" culture and you put a "shadow" tag in the tags column if you wanted the shadow version, but with Moria-Balrog and other such variants I decided it was a better idea to treat them as separate cultures ("gollum_freeps" and "gollum_shadow"). 

But then I forgot to update the artifact overlay to match!  Make a copy of the artifact_gollum_double.png file in /templates/double_res_export/overlays and make sure that there are two such templates: artifact_gollum_freeps_double .png and artifact_gollum_shadow_double .png.  I'll make sure to put out a fix that includes this soon.

EDIT: Release is in the OP.  Just copy the templates folder over.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:31:42 PM by TelTura »

July 18, 2020, 10:29:15 PM
Reply #26

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 10:29:15 PM »
Card Generator v1.3.1 Update

See links in the OP.

If you already have v1.3.0, you only need to replace the templates folder.

Change log:

• Fixed an issue with the Gollum artifact and culture icon overlays not showing up due to an outdated naming scheme in the template filenames.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:31:52 PM by TelTura »

July 26, 2020, 12:46:04 PM
Reply #27

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »
Hi, loving the generator. However I've run into a bit of problem i can't figure out. When inputting a possession into the excel doc whenever I try to put the +2 in the strength column excel automatically deletes the + and just leaves the 2. Sometimes I can get it to stay but then excel thinks i'm inputting a formula. How do I get around this?

July 26, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
Reply #28

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »
Never mind, I figured it out

July 26, 2020, 01:53:22 PM
Reply #29

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
What was the solution for this? I used ' in front of + but then it seems the csv forgets it's there the next time you open it?
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 26, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
Reply #30

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
I changed the cell to Text. But again like you csv forgets every time I open it annoyingly so i have to keep redoing it.

July 26, 2020, 05:02:38 PM
Reply #31

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
Yeah, there are no spreadsheet programs I've used (save maybe Google Sheets) that don't do horrendously obnoxious things to auto update one's data like this.

This exact issue is the reason there is both a cards.csv and a cards.ods in the zip.  I use LibreOffice Calc, and my workflow looks like this:

- Modify cards.ods so that all of the stat columns are Text (the entire column)
- Adjust column widths, etc
- Add new cards as needed
- Save cards.ods (all the formatting is now saved, and will not need to be done again so long as I open the ods again in the future)
- Save A Copy As into cards.csv with the following options:

And there you go.  You could theoretically do the same thing with a new cards.xls if you're working with Excel: keep a master copy that is in the native format of whatever software you're using, and just export to CSV when you're done.

It's a pity all offline spreadsheet programs are a giant pile of #$&*@!, but it is what it is.  This workaround workflow at least keeps Excel/Calc from touching my goddamn data every time I interact with it.

I sort-of mentioned this issue in the documentation, but I'll make sure something like the above is put into the next version more explicitly.

July 26, 2020, 07:39:37 PM
Reply #32

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
Would a possible work-around be to open the csv as a text file instead of as a spreadsheet? You'd have to add the delimiters yourself, but you wouldn't have to worry about Excel trying to help or anything. Might not be worth the hassle in the end, since you're just substituting one set of problems with another.

July 26, 2020, 08:03:17 PM
Reply #33

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 08:03:17 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  One can do that if they are okay with manually counting commas and the like.  It also breaks down once you have more than, oh, 20 or so cards, as remembering what each column is specifically becomes a hassle. 

As someone who has probably spent more time than anyone else iterating, saving, and re-saving the CSV, this is the fastest/most convenient workflow I've found so far.  Next step might be to make a macro in LibreOffice that exports with one button press, and then it's not much different from just saving.

July 27, 2020, 02:39:10 AM
Reply #34

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2020, 02:39:10 AM »
Well I'm doing a set so I just figure I'll wait till everything else fir the set is ready and then input the strength and vitality plus totals once before creating the final versions. That way I don't have to keep going back.

July 27, 2020, 11:35:19 AM
Reply #35

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
What do you mean? Just save it as an xls or whatever is native. You don't hop back and forth, you only use the xls or ods, and when you're done editing you "save a copy" to the csv.

July 29, 2020, 03:03:21 AM
Reply #36

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 03:03:21 AM »
Hi me again. The card creator was working great but suddenly seems to have run into a problem and I can't figure out where it has come from. When I try to validate the deck it says there are Invalid labels and aborts. Particularly seens to be 632 and lots of 636 where it is running into trouble.

July 29, 2020, 03:08:13 AM
Reply #37

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 03:08:13 AM »
At the bottom of the screen there is an output section; can you copy-paste the contents of that box here?

I suspect it's due to you including a character that is not permitted (such as the | symbol or others).  If you delete the card you added last and it works, that's probably all it is, but I'll take a look if you'll post the error output here.

July 29, 2020, 09:34:45 AM
Reply #38

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
This is what it is saying:

632: Wrong function <REPLACE("string", "from", "to")> : Exert a dwarf companion and make that companion <b>damage -X</b> until the regroup phase to remove X threats (limit 3".|If Gimli is damage +X spot Frodo and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make a companion strength +X (limit +4).|<b>Damage +1</b> <br> While Frodo is the ring-bearer Gimli's twilight cost is -1. <br><b>Skirmish:</b> Exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make a companion <b>damage +1</b>. |<b>Damage +1</b><br>While skirmishing an orc\44\ Gimli is <b>damage +2</b>.|Bearer must be Gimli.<br>He is damage +1.<br><b>Skirmish:</b>Exert Gimli and make him <b>damage -X</b> to make him strength +X.|Exert a dwarf X times to make them <b>damage +X</b> until the regroup phase.|Make Gimli <b>damage -X</b> to make X different companions strength +1 until the regroup phase.|While you can spot an elf\44\ Gimli is <b>damage +1</b>.|<b>Response:</b> If the shadow player wounds a minion you may spot Legolas and Frodo and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to wound that minion again.|While mounted you may exert Arwen to cancel a <b>fierce</b> skirmish involving Arwen.|While you can spot Aragorn\44\ Arwen is strength +1.<br><b>Response:</b> If the shadow player uses a minions special ability you may exert Arwen to suspend the current phase. Begin a skirmish involving Aragorn and that minion. When it ends resume the suspended phase.|Bearer must be an elf. If bearer is Arwen Arwen\44\ Asfaloth's twilight cost is -2.<br><b>Regroup:</b> Heal a \91\wraith\93\ minion to make the move limit +1 (limit once per turn). The shadow player may discard a card to draw a card.|Each time you play an \91\elven\93\ tale you may make a companion strength +1 until the regroup phase.<br><b>Fellowship:</b> Exert Celeborn to heal an ally whose home is site 6.|If an \91\elf\93\ ally wins a skirmish you may remove a threat (or exert that ally to remove a burden).|At the start of each turns\44\ you may spot an ally whose home is site 3 and heal that ally up to 2 times.<br><b>Regroup:</b> Exert Elrond twice to take an \91\elven\93\ tale into hand your discard pile or draw deck.|The twilight cost of each \91\elven\93\ tale is -1.<br><b>Response:</b> Each time you play an \91\elven\93\ tale you may exert Galadriel to remove a burden or a threat.|Make an elf strength +2 (or +4 if that elf is an ally).|Each time the fellowship moves you may spot Gandalf in the dead pile to reinforce an \91\elven\93\ token|Each time you play an event in a skirmish involving Legolas\44\ you may spot an \91\elf\93\ tale to exert the minion he is skirmishing.|<b>Archer</b> <br> While Frodo is the ring-bearer Legolas' twilight cost is -1. <br><b>Archery:</b> Exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make the archery total +1 (limit +2).|Bearer must be Legolas.<br><b>Response:</b> Each time the shadow player exerts a minion you may exert Legolas to exert that minion again.|<b>Tale</b><br>Exert an \91\elven\93\ ally to make the shadow player exert a minion.|Each time you play an \91\elven\93\ tale you may add an \91\elven\93\ token here.<br><b>Maneuver:</b> Remove two \91\elven\93\ tokens here or discard this artifact to allow an \91\elven\93\ ally to participate in archery fire and skirmishes until the regroup phase. |Bearer must be Legolas.<br>For each wound on a minion skirmishing Legolas\44\ that minion is strength -1.|Play an \91\elven\93\ artifact from your draw deck.|While skirmishing a minion with a twilight cost of 3 or less\44\ each elf ally is strength +1 (or strength +2 if that ally is Galadriel or Celeborn).|<b>Tale</b><br>To play spot 2 \91\elven\93\ allies.<br>Each time the shadow player assigns a minion to a companion or ally\44\ that minion is strength -1 until the regroup phase.|Exert an \91\elf\93\ ally to make a companion of another culture strength +3.|When you play this condition you may add 2 \91\gandalf\93\ tokens here.<br><b>Response:</b> If Gandalf is about to take a wound you may remove 2 \91\gandalf\93\ tokens here or discard this condition to prevent it.|If Gandalf dies make all other companions and allies strength +2 until the end of the regroup phase.|While you can spot Galadriel\44\ Gandalf is <b>damage +1</b>.<br>While you can spot Elrond\44\ Gandalf is strength +2.<br>While you can spot Celeborn\44\ Gandalf takes no more than one wound in each skirmish.|While Frodo is the ring-bearer Gandalf's twilight cost is -1.<br>At the start of the Manuever phase you may exert a companion with the Frodo signet to discard a shadow condition.|At the start of each turn you may add (2) to heal an ally.|Bearer must be Gandalf.<br>He is <b>damage +1</b>.<br>While you can spot an elf this artifact's twilight cost is -1.<br>Each time Gandalf wins a skirmish you may reinforce a culture token.|If the shadow player plays the Balrog\44\ exert Gandalf twice to remove all remaining twilight.|Spot Frodo and Gandalf and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to heal x companions\44\ where x is the amount of free peoples cultures you can spot.|While you can spot Gandalf\44\ Sam is strength +1.|Spot Gandalf to make an \91\elven\93\ ally strength +2.|When you play this condition you may add a \91\gandalf\93\ token here for each of the following characters you can spot: Gandalf\44\ Radagast\44\ Elrond\44\ Galadriel and Celeborn.<br><b>Skirmish:</b> Remove a \91\gandalf\93\ token here or discard this condition to make a \91\gandalf\93\ or \91\elven\93\ character strength +1.|Place Gandalf in the dead pile to wound every minion. The shadow player may remove (5) to prevent this.|While you can spot Arwen\44\ Aragorn's twilight cost is -2.<br>While you can spot Arwen\44\ Aragorn is strength +1.|While Frodo is the ring-bearer his twilight cost is -1.<br><b>Maneuver</b> Exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make Aragorn <b>defender +1</b> until the regroup phase.|Bearer must be Aragorn.<br>The shadow player may not assign minions to skirmish Aragorn.|While Frodo is the ring-bearer Boromir's twilight cost is -1.<br>Each time Boromir wins a skirmish you may heal a companion with the Frodo signet.|Spot an exhausted companion to make a \91\gondor\93\ man strength +2 and <b>defender +1</b> until the regroup phase.|While Boromir is assigned to skirmish more than one minion\44\ Aragorn is strength +3.<br>While Aragorn is assigned to skirmish more than one minion\44\ Boromir is strength +3.|Bearer must be Boromir.<br>Boromir is <b>defender +1</b><br><b>Skirmish:</b> If Boromir is assigned to skirmish more than one minion you may spot an unassigned companion. Exert Boromir to make him strength + X where X is that companion's strength (Limit once per skirmish). |Make a \91\gondor\93\ companion strength +2 (or strength +4 and <b>damage +1</b> if that companion is skirmishing more than one minion.)|<b>Response:</b> Each time Boromir loses a skirmish\44\ make Aragorn strength +2 until the regroup phase.<br><b>Response:</b> Each time Aragorn loses a skirmish\44\ make Boromir strength +2 until the regroup phase.|To play spot Frodo and Boromir.<br>Each time a companion with the Frodo signet wins a skirmish you may add a \91\gondor\93\ token here.<br><b>Skirmish:</b>Make a minion strength -1 for each \91\gondor\93\ token here. Discard this condition. |To play spot Frodo and Aragorn.<br><b>Response:</b> If a companion is about to take a wound you may exert a companion with the Frodo signet to prevent it. |Exert an \91\Isengard\93\ minion to gain initiative until the regroup phase\44\ regardless of the Free Peoples players hand. The Free Peoples player may exert 2 companions (or one companion twice) to prevent this.|<b>Damage +1</b><br>Each time the Free Peoples player loses initiative\44\ you may play an Uruk-Hai from your hand or discard pile. That Uruk-Hai is twilight cost -2\44\ <b>Fierce</b> and Strength +2 until the regroup phase. |Saruman may not be assigned to a skirmish by either player.<br>Each time an ally exerts you may exert Saruman to make the Free Peoples player exert a companion (or 2 companions if that ally is an \91\elf\93\ ally). |Bearer must be Saruman\59\ he is <b>damage +1</b>. The first line of Saruman's game text do(...)
636: Wrong function <REPLACE("string", "from", "to")> : "REPLACE(""Exert a dwarf companion and make that companion <b>damage -X</b> until the regroup phase to remove X threats (limit 3".|If Gimli is damage +X spot Frodo and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make a companion strength +X (limit +4
636: Wrong function <REPLACE("string", "from", "to")> : "Exert a dwarf companion and make that companion <b>damage -X</b> until the regroup phase to remove X threats (limit 3.|If Gimli is damage +X spot Frodo and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make a companion strength +X (limit +4".|<b>Damage +1</b> <br> While Frodo is the ring-bearer Gimli's twilight cost is -1. <br><b>Skirmish:</b> Exert a companion with the Frodo signet to make a companion <b>damage +1</b>. |<b>Damage +1</b><br>While skirmishing an orc\44\ Gimli is <b>damage +2</b>.|Bearer must be Gimli.<br>He is damage +1.<br><b>Skirmish:</b>Exert Gimli and make him <b>damage -X</b> to make him strength +X.|Exert a dwarf X times to make them <b>damage +X</b> until the regroup phase.|Make Gimli <b>damage -X</b> to make X different companions strength +1 until the regroup phase.|While you can spot an elf\44\ Gimli is <b>damage +1</b>.|<b>Response:</b> If the shadow player wounds a minion you may spot Legolas and Frodo and exert a companion with the Frodo signet to wound that minion again.|While mounted you may exert Arwen to cancel a <b>fierce</b> skirmish involving Arwen.|While you can spot Aragorn\44\ Arwen is strength +1.<br><b>Response:</b> If the shadow player uses a minions special ability you may exert Arwen to suspend the current phase. Begin a skirmish involving Aragorn and that minion. When it ends resume the suspended phase.|Bearer must be an elf. If bearer is Arwen Arwen\44\ Asfaloth's twilight cost is -2.<br><b>Regroup:</b> Heal a \91\wraith\93\ minion to make the move limit +1 (limit once per turn

And then it repeats that a lot

July 29, 2020, 10:05:39 AM
Reply #39

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:39 AM »
Think I found the offending card. No idea why it was screwing it up as I just retyped it in the same and this time it worked. Very strange

July 29, 2020, 12:38:31 PM
Reply #40

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 12:38:31 PM »
Cool.  Yeah, the output cut off before it got to the offending card I think; I would assume you accidentally included a | or something. 

Oh well; if it happens again, send me the output and the csv and I'll take a look if you can't find it.

August 13, 2020, 03:26:36 AM
Reply #41

Finarfin

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:36 AM »
Me again. How can I post images of my completed cards here? They are too big to attach.

August 13, 2020, 12:06:21 PM
Reply #42

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »
I would make an account at imgur.com and host them there, then embed them here using the [img] tag.

September 27, 2020, 04:30:10 AM
Reply #43

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2020, 04:30:10 AM »
Hi Teltura!

I'm having an issue having the site icon from Fellowship Block appear at top left when I try to make sites.

id   image_name   unique   title   subtitle   culture   template   card_type   card_subtype   twilight   strength   vitality   resistance   signet   site   set_num   rarity   card_num   game_text   lore   twilight_color   title_font_size   subtitle_font_size   game_text_color   icon_text_color   game_text_spacing   lore_spacing   game_text_width   border_color   tags   notes
HFG57   57p.png      Bree Inn Entrance      Site   Site                        1   %   U   57   <b>Fellowship:</b> Add a burden to play a [Gandalf] ally from your draw deck (limit once per turn).                                 

Do you have any idea how I could solve that?

PS. I think that this thread should be pinned at the top of the Chamber of Mazarbul board. Any mods agree?

September 27, 2020, 09:00:26 PM
Reply #44

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
Hmm, as in, you get the wrong site icon?  Could you show me what the output looks like?  When I type in what you put here, I get a pretty normal image.

(ignore the white border thingy, that's due to a failed experiment I still need to rip out)

September 28, 2020, 02:43:10 AM
Reply #45

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2020, 02:43:10 AM »
That's strange...

September 30, 2020, 05:48:31 PM
Reply #46

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »
Hi again. I think that I have managed to target where the issue might come from. When I generate site cards using "original" size, the problem happens. When I use "double" size, it does not. I am not sure how to fix it though.

September 30, 2020, 06:10:10 PM
Reply #47

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
Aha, well that narrows it down.  Turns out the FOTR block symbol is mis-named in the Original-sized template folder (and so nanDECK doesn't find it and it turns up missing).  I'll get a release out that fixes this shortly.

September 30, 2020, 08:27:24 PM
Reply #48

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
Aha, well that narrows it down.  Turns out the FOTR block symbol is mis-named in the Original-sized template folder (and so nanDECK doesn't find it and it turns up missing).  I'll get a release out that fixes this shortly.

In the meanwhile, as a quick fix, can you please let me know how I should rename that symbol? Thank you!

October 01, 2020, 05:01:06 AM
Reply #49

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »
By "shortly" I meant right then, but then I fell asleep, lol.  Here is the release, two versions back to back which includes this fix.  See the OP for links.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know here and I will address them as soon as I see them.

Card Generator v1.4.0 Update

See links in the OP.

This release includes various fixes as submitted on GitHub.

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your card_portraits and card_output folders and cards.csv, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

Change Log:

• Added customizable setting key for non-breaking space.
  • Added oversampling by default to the original size templates.
  • Added support for custom site 'cultures' instead of using the hard-coded template name 'site'.

Card Generator v1.4.1 Update

See links in the OP.

This release includes a fix for the site icon issue above.

If you have 1.4.0 installed, you only need to replace the templates folder for this bugfix.

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue where the Original-sized templates had an incorrectly named FOTR block icon, meaning that sites did not display the icon when exported at that size.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:07:09 AM by TelTura »

October 08, 2020, 09:10:33 PM
Reply #50

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2020, 09:10:33 PM »
Card Generator v1.5.0 Update

Biggest changes today are the inclusion of support for Promo text and Helper text, both demonstrated helpfully by Aragorn, Swift Hunter (0P125):

original (scan):

generated:

As you can see, the promo text is not a perfect fit, but that's because each promo was lovingly crafted by hand, and so there is no one-size-fits-all solution.  This font included is "close enough" in both size and shape.

See download links in the OP.

Documentation in a PDF with the release, or here on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNroWUOQIsaYW1oCn4Mb5EtAfMQXgrekxR5INhLkkYc/edit?usp=sharing

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder. Make sure that includes the nanDECK folder, as there is a new font.

Change Log:

• Added support for overriding the text color of the type bar or the title/subtitle separately from the rest of the game text.  To do this, include the "title_color_override" or "type_color_override" columns and provide a standard hex color.  These values will default to what is already normally provided in game_text_color, but can be further overridden here if needed.
  • Added promo text support.  You can now include a "promo_text" column to place bold text at the bottom of the card, similar to the dAgent and other promo cards.
  • Added helper text support.  Game text with the <helper></helper> tags around it will be rendered in slightly smaller italic text matching the helper text used in the originals.
  • Included new font which approximates the original promo text (but which is not really all that close). 
  • Sites which have a pre-rotated image can now use the "no_rotate" tag to prevent the generator from rotating the portrait.
  • Rarities of O will now be replaced with the ring icon
  • fixed onering templates erroring out if they also had the full_art tag
  • fixed onering templates not supporting full_portrait mode
  • adjusted collector's info positioning
  • temporarily removed some of the smart quote parsing pending a fix from the nanDECK dev
  • added autobolding for the Ring-bearer keyword
  • added promo font setting
  • Fixed some issues with inconsistent and unnecessary spacing between game text sections
  • Decreased the size of game text symbols to eliminate extra line spacing occurring because of them
  • Updated the documentation

October 11, 2020, 12:05:23 AM
Reply #51

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2020, 12:05:23 AM »
Card Generator v1.6.0 Update

This release addresses a number of small spacing and culture icon bugs, which hopefully should now all be squashed forever, but we'll see.

In addition, there are two new features.  First, a new game_text_scale column has been introduced, which scales everything in the game text area, which includes normal game text, helper text, lore, promo text, and culture icons:

The left has a game_text_scale of 0.5, and the right has a value of 1.5.  Use this to scale all text to fit as needed, tho hopefully this is used with caution and restraint and not to create cards man was not meant to own.

I'm watching you.

The second major feature is the ability to add custom decorative icons to the card, such as the Weta and king countdown icons on the two Bombadillos below:

These image icons are now included, and custom one may be provided.  See the documentation for the new custom_icon column for details on how to do that.

For reference, here are the original icons:

Documentation in a PDF with the release, or here on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNroWUOQIsaYW1oCn4Mb5EtAfMQXgrekxR5INhLkkYc/edit?usp=sharing

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder. Make sure that includes the templates folder, as there are some new icons.

Change Log:

• Fixed culture icons using the wrong font size, which lead to cards having extra space between lines
  • Altered block symbol detection to permit a different sizing between the type bar ("Home 3T") and game text
  • Added new column "display_type", which overrides the name displayed for the card type.  This permits alternate languages or template-compatible variants to use existing layouts.
  • Added new ally_home_label setting which controls how the "Home X" label is displayed for Allies.  This is mostly intended to be used for alternate languages.
  • Added new column "game_text_scale" which is a multiplier for the game text, helper text, lore, and promo text areas.
  • Updated example files to reflect recent column changes
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:05:16 AM by TelTura »

October 11, 2020, 11:46:09 PM
Reply #52

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:09 PM »
Card Generator v1.7.0 Update

What a productive weekend.

Most of the changes in this release are bug fixes, but there is one major change that I would advise you pay attention to, and that's the change to a couple of tags.

The full_art and full_portrait tags are unfortunately named, and this came to a head this weekend while debugging.  I have added new aliases for these tags, and would advise that you alter any of your spreadsheets to use these new names:

full_art -> no_template
full_portrait -> portrait_backdrop

To further help explain what's what, I've added an extensive section to the documentation named No Template vs Portrait Backdrop, which I would advise reading if you're looking to make Full Art cards in the future. 

For now the old tags can still be used, but some time in the future I may end up removing the old ones, as they just aren't very good at explaining what's going on.

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder. Make sure that includes the nanDECK folder, as it has been updated.

Change Log:

• Updated the included nanDECK version to 1.25.3_b16
  • Due to the updated nanDECK, fixed a long-standing bug relating to single smart quotes getting interpreted backwards.
  • Altered the disclaimer to use the positioned sprite version and not the standalone
  • Fixed Ally card type line rendering as blank when exporting cards via batch
  • Added aliases for full_art (no_template) and full_portrait (portrait_backdrop).  These should be considered the canonical tags moving forward.
  • Added new [rotate_site_templates] setting, which tells the generator whether or not to rotate the site templates.  Defaults to true (since the included templates are in landscape), but can be set to False if you provide your own portrait-aligned sites.
  • Updated documentation, particularly with a large section detailing the difference between no_template and portrait_backdrop.

October 12, 2020, 08:17:16 AM
Reply #53

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2020, 08:17:16 AM »
A ran the batch and then built the deck, but the game text lines end a third of the way across the card (if that makes sense). I took a screenshot, but its too big to upload.

October 12, 2020, 08:58:26 AM
Reply #54

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2020, 08:58:26 AM »
D'oh, I know what happened. The stupid spreadsheet program got in the way again trying to be all smart about formatting.

Open cards.csv and go to the game_text_width column. Instead of 0.6 and 0.7, those values are supposed to be "60%" and "70%". You may have to force the cell formatting to "number/percentage" to get it to stop trying to be helpful.

Which is to say, these values are supposed to be telling the program "override the game text width to be 60% (or 70%) of the card width", but because there's not one spreadsheet program on the planet that can leave well enough alone, the script thinks we mean 0.6 or 0.7 of an inch instead.

I'll update the example csv after work.

(oh, and for uploading screenshots or output, go make an account at imgur.com and upload it there/link it here.)

October 12, 2020, 10:53:36 AM
Reply #55

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
I have updated the download zip with the corrected CSV/ODS files.

Since it's such a small change, I have also attached them to this post, James.  Just place them in the same folder and overwrite the two that are already there (assuming you haven't already made additions to them).

October 12, 2020, 11:23:27 AM
Reply #56

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
That fixed the game text wrapping, but (so sorry for the inconvenience) there are a couple of other problems (which might all be my fault, I don't know.)

https://imgur.com/a/K5taz7M

On Steel is Steel, the game text is too big, Event • Maneuver is a little off, and apparently the Moria symbol is... a sun?
Aragorn is better, just a little too big game text, and the strength, vitality, and twilight numbers are off.

I apologize again for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Edit: I realized that Aragorn's game text doesn't have too big of a font size, it's just too long (I think)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:05:46 PM by JamesCB »

October 12, 2020, 12:19:38 PM
Reply #57

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2020, 12:19:38 PM »
Wow, all sorts of things have gone wrong there, lol. All of that appears to be due to the custom fonts not getting used, tho the icon text being black is odd and concerning.

First, double-check that inside the nanDECK/1.25.3 folder there is a fonts folder with eight fonts. If not, copy them from the zip or from the source: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PJYPWQ4WkN8S-YGWnIUCi7IxTM-z_-Kw

If they *are* there, then we can try installing the fonts themselves (usually nanDECK picks em up no problem. Just double click each one one at a time and click the "install" button at the top, then restart nanDECK.

Try that and we'll go from there.

October 13, 2020, 03:43:21 AM
Reply #58

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2020, 03:43:21 AM »
The fonts were there, just not installed. I installed them all and now it looks great! Thank you for all your help!

October 13, 2020, 07:27:53 AM
Reply #59

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2020, 07:27:53 AM »
Does anyone know of a program that lets you edit CSV's, but doesn't convert them to xlsx's? Every time I open the cards.csv, it converts it an xlsx, so after I edit it I have to convert it back...

October 13, 2020, 08:35:32 AM
Reply #60

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »
Excel should be able to do what you need, it just requires a slightly different workflow from what you might be used to:

1- save an *.xlsx file that is your "true" working file, which has column widths set and formatting and whatever else makes it easier to work with.

2- regularly File -> Save this file to avoid losing work.

3- when you're ready to export to the card generator, go to File -> Save A Copy, and then at the bottom of the save dialog, change the file extension from *.xlsx to *.csv. You may need to experiment to find the "right" csv; IIRC excel has three different csv options, you want the vanilla comma-delimited no-frills version.

4- if it asks you for options when saving the file, you want it to use commas to delimit, and " as the string indicator, and to use quotes on all columns if possible.

By using Save A Copy instead of save as, what is open in excel will always be the xlsx file, and you're just exporting a snapshot to csv at regular intervals.

It takes some adjustments to get used to, but since all spreadsheet programs are a giant piece of #$&*@!, this is the best workflow I've found yet.

October 14, 2020, 06:38:09 AM
Reply #61

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2020, 06:38:09 AM »
This is a subtitle on a [Shire] companion, but it's supposed to read Jam Jam. The J's get cut off. I don't know if there are any examples of this on real cards, so I can't say if this is normal or an issue with the font or what...

October 14, 2020, 11:31:00 AM
Reply #62

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
You know what, I'm not sure that I've ever tested capital Js on that line. As a quick fix you can adjust the subtitle_font_size to try and make it smaller, but I'll see if I can address the issue permanently in the next release.

October 14, 2020, 06:58:29 PM
Reply #63

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
Card Generator v1.8.0 Update

Addressed the above J cutoff issue.  It turns out that capital J is the only capital letter which dips below the font baseline.  The issue with subtitles only shows up on two official cards: Pippin, Just A Nuisance; and Frodo, Weary From The Journey.  As you can see, those Js are skirting the line as well!

I've also added the ability to output the card back, which is only really relevant if using the output of this script to produce a PDF or something.  To do so, create a row in the spreadsheet, give it an ID, and set the template column to Back; everything else can remain blank.

Github download: https://github.com/ketura/LotR-TCG card generator/releases/tag/v1.8.0

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue where capital Js would get cut off in subtitles
  • Fixed an issue where single-card CSVs would cause titles and subtitles with spaces to get rendered with quotes around them
  • Added new template type Back, which only needs ID and Template set and renders the LotR-TCG card back.

October 18, 2020, 11:40:48 AM
Reply #64

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »
Card Generator v1.9.0 Update

This release adds a thin_space tag that can be added to cards to use the same space width used in later-era official Decipher cards (as that was one of the tricks they pulled to squeeze more words into the game text area).  I have also altered the margins of the game text area to be somewhat smaller, which should grant by default more space for game text in general.  This does mean that creating 1:1 card recreations of movie-block cards is less perfect than it used to be, but that whole endeavor was always a tug-of-war considering that Decipher never settled on a single set of widths/margins/sizes.

nanDECK has had its version updated, and as a result autoformatting has been overhauled.  Keyword bolding will now only affect game text (and helper text); lore and promo text will not get autobolded at all.  The rules for the Corsair, Southron, and Easterling keywords have been tweaked to only auto-bold if they show up as the very first keyword on the card; since those keywords are (usually) always capitalized, it's impossible to detect if they are being used as proper nouns or as keywords in the text otherwise.  Any other instance of the keyword that should be bolded will need to manually use the <b></b> tags.

A bug was also fixed that probably only affected Gollum: any card type that had a single section (i.e. just card type and no race) used to output garbage, and now displays the proper card type.

Github download: https://github.com/ketura/LotR-TCG card generator/releases/tag/v1.9.0

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

Make sure that includes the nanDECK folder, as it has been updated.

Change Log:

• Updated included nanDECK version to 1.25.3_b17
  • Fixed single-section card type panels rendering an error
  • Narrowed the margins of all game text to the top and left, bringing it more in line with later-era cards
  • Overhauled the autoformatting to no longer affect lore or promo text
  • Added thin_space as a tag that replaces spaces in the game text (not lore or promo text) with the unicode thin space character

October 19, 2020, 05:00:48 AM
Reply #65

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2020, 05:00:48 AM »
When I enter "Ring-bearer (resistance 10)." into the game_text column, nanDECK freaks out. There's a ton more, it just doesn't fit in the text window.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:41:53 AM by JamesCB »

October 19, 2020, 07:54:03 AM
Reply #66

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2020, 07:54:03 AM »
Could you attach the cards.csv you're using?

There appear to be a few issues with the new auto formatter. I'll get on it asap.

October 19, 2020, 08:17:03 AM
Reply #67

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2020, 08:17:03 AM »
It's actually a xlsx (cause the online excel kept on converting it and I got tired of using free online file converters), but here you go.
I don't think being an xlsx or being called "millDeck" is the problem because I edited the settings.txt and everything was working fine until I tried entering the ring-bearer keyword.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:41:28 AM by JamesCB »

October 19, 2020, 10:32:41 PM
Reply #68

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2020, 10:32:41 PM »
Try the version attached to this post and tell me if you see a difference.  You're not the only one with issues, so I haven't made a full release yet since I want to make sure all the bases are covered.

(this file only has four files in it, just copy them into your install folder and overwrite the old ones).

October 20, 2020, 03:56:20 AM
Reply #69

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2020, 03:56:20 AM »
Unfortunately, no. Although, the long string of (seemingly) random text is different. Now it's more like this:

<textsymbol>&#9830;</textsymbol>I(rohan)<textsymbol>&#9827;</textsymbol>I(gondor)<textsymbol>&#9824;</textsymbol>I(gollum)<textsymbol>&#9688;</textsymbol>I(dunland)<textsymbol>&#9794;</textsymbol>I(raider)<textsymbol>&#9792;</textsymbol>I(isengard)<textsymbol>&#9834;</textsymbol>I(uruk)<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I(urukhai)<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I(uruk-hai)<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I(moria)<textsymbol>&#9788;</textsymbol>I(orc)<textsymbol>&#9658;</textsymbol>I(sauron)<textsymbol>&#9668;</textsymbol>I(mordor)<textsymbol>&#9668;</textsymbol>I(ringwraith)<textsymbol>&#8597;</textsymbol>I(wraith)<textsymbol>&#8597;</textsymbol>I(men)<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I(evil men)<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I(evilmen)<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I\91\dwarf\93\<textsymbol>&#9786;</textsymbol>I\91\dwarven\93\<textsymbol>&#9786;</textsymbol>I\91\elf\93\<textsymbol>&#9787;</textsymbol>I\91\elven\93\<textsymbol>&#9787;</textsymbol>I\91\gandalf\93\<textsymbol>&#9829;</textsymbol>I\91\shire\93\<textsymbol>&#9830;</textsymbol>I\91\rohan\93\<textsymbol>&#9827;</textsymbol>I\91\gondor\93\<textsymbol>&#9824;</textsymbol>I\91\gollum\93\<textsymbol>&#9688;</textsymbol>I\91\dunland\93\<textsymbol>&#9794;</textsymbol>I\91\raider\93\<textsymbol>&#9792;</textsymbol>I\91\isengard\93\<textsymbol>&#9834;</textsymbol>I\91\uruk\93\<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I\91\urukhai\93\<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I\91\uruk-hai\93\<textsymbol>&#9835;</textsymbol>I\91\moria\93\<textsymbol>&#9788;</textsymbol>I\91\orc\93\<textsymbol>&#9658;</textsymbol>I\91\sauron\93\<textsymbol>&#9668;</textsymbol>I\91\mordor\93\<textsymbol>&#9668;</textsymbol>I\91\ringwraith\93\<textsymbol>&#8597;</textsymbol>I\91\wraith\93\<textsymbol>&#8597;</textsymbol>I\91\men\93\<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I\91\evil men\93\<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I\91\evilmen\93\<textsymbol>&#8252;</textsymbol>I(1)<textsymbol>!</textsymbol>I(2)<textsymbol>@</textsymbol>I(3)<textsymbol>#</textsymbol>I(4)<textsymbol>$</textsymbol>I(5)<textsymbol>%</textsymbol>I(6)<textsymbol>^</textsymbol>I(7)<textsymbol>&</textsymbol>I(8)<textsymbol>*</textsymbol>I(9)<textsymbol>_</textsymbol>I(X)<textsymbol>=</textsymbol>I\91\1\93\<textsymbol>!</textsymbol>I\91\2\93\<textsymbol>@</textsymbol>I\91\3\93\<textsymbol>#</textsymbol>I\91\4\93\<textsymbol>$</textsymbol>I\91\5\93\<textsymbol>%</textsymbol>I\91\6\93\<textsymbol>^</textsymbol>I\91\7\93\<textsymbol>&</textsymbol>I\91\8\93\<textsymbol>*</textsymbol>I\91\9\93\<textsymbol>_</textsymbol>I\91\X\93\<textsymbol>=</textsymbol>I(T)<textsymbol>`</textsymbol>I\91\T\93\<textsymbol>`</textsymbol>I(K)<textsymbol>~</textsymbol>I","\91\K\93\","<textsymbol>~</textsymbol>",
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:40:43 AM by JamesCB »

October 20, 2020, 05:37:29 PM
Reply #70

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »
Fixed the issue the other guy was having, try the fix attached to this post.  I suspect they are the same issue (and I hope so), but I guess we'll see.

October 21, 2020, 05:33:18 AM
Reply #71

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2020, 05:33:18 AM »
At first, that didn't work. but then I used a different nanDECK.exe (I don't know if I installed it wrong, but for me there is a folder called nanDECK and then inside of that there is a folder called 1.25.3 and in that folder there is another nanDECK.) When I used that nanDECK, it worked fine!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:31:26 AM by JamesCB »

October 21, 2020, 06:50:00 AM
Reply #72

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2020, 06:50:00 AM »
Ah, yes. It's intended you use the specific version that comes with the generatator; this Is presumably why you had font issues at first as well. I'll get a formal release out later today.

October 21, 2020, 09:06:11 AM
Reply #73

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »
Wait, so this entire time I've been using the wrong nanDECK!? :o
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:30:52 AM by JamesCB »

October 21, 2020, 09:15:28 AM
Reply #74

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »
If you followed the "Packaged Installation" instructions in the documentation, there was no need to follow the "Manual Installation" instructions, as those are there for troubleshooting purposes (and do all the same work I already did in creating the zip file, only manually). I'll update the documentation to be more clear on this point.

October 22, 2020, 11:40:53 PM
Reply #75

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2020, 11:40:53 PM »
Card Generator v1.9.1 Update

The issues referenced above have been fixed.

Download link in the OP.

Change Log:

• Fixed an issue which would sometimes cause decks to fail validation

October 28, 2020, 04:20:23 AM
Reply #76

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2020, 04:20:23 AM »
Is nanDECK supposed to creating a bunch of files in my folder named something like temp_202010271848010584_00000 1.html?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:26:58 AM by JamesCB »

October 28, 2020, 06:53:00 AM
Reply #77

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2020, 06:53:00 AM »
Those files are created temporarily and deleted after they are no longer needed. If you run into an error however, the files stick around to aid in troubleshooting. You can safely delete them manually, but if they're still stacking up, there's an error occurring that you're overlooking.

October 28, 2020, 11:42:17 AM
Reply #78

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2020, 11:42:17 AM »
Welp, something must be going on 'cause I got like 4,000 backed up.

October 28, 2020, 12:01:26 PM
Reply #79

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Even after you delete them all? In that case, delete the html files and then re-run your most recent deck, there should be some sort of error showing up in the nanDECK status window. It might only be on one card, so watch carefully as you build to see if any appear to have errors in them. In the nanDECK folder I believe there is also an error log that you can refer to if you can't find anything amiss; post that here if you can't find anything more specific and I'll take a look.

October 29, 2020, 10:46:17 PM
Reply #80

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2020, 10:46:17 PM »
For anyone curious or in need of general installation help, there is now a video on YouTube that walks you through installation and basic usage of the card generator here: https://youtu.be/46KzoN6pUQc

November 05, 2020, 10:16:14 AM
Reply #81

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
Even after you delete them all? In that case, delete the html files and then re-run your most recent deck, there should be some sort of error showing up in the nanDECK status window. It might only be on one card, so watch carefully as you build to see if any appear to have errors in them. In the nanDECK folder I believe there is also an error log that you can refer to if you can't find anything amiss; post that here if you can't find anything more specific and I'll take a look.

It got to the point of like 7,000, and I just gave up on deleting them, but there was an error on a card, but when I cleared it up, they all went away.

November 19, 2020, 07:59:27 AM
Reply #82

Dazer

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »
On the newest patch
When creating full art cards with Dwarven culture, the culture won't correctly load (So it just generates the card without it) -It works with other cultures.

November 19, 2020, 08:19:03 AM
Reply #83

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2020, 08:19:03 AM »
Can you attach the csv you're using? You can remove the rows that aren't relevant if you prefer.

November 19, 2020, 12:22:18 PM
Reply #84

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that the sites game text start a little further to the right on the generated cards then on actual cards. I've recreated both Dwarrowdelf Chamber and Caras Galadhon* in the generator, and both get cut off.

November 19, 2020, 12:24:39 PM
Reply #85

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »
Bug reports are best combined with examples, please, so I can see exactly what you're referring to!

I will take a look regardless later tonight.

November 19, 2020, 12:28:02 PM
Reply #86

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Unfortunately, my files got deleted, and clicking the download link just takes me to a page that reads "Not found."

November 19, 2020, 10:55:37 PM
Reply #87

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2020, 10:55:37 PM »
On the newest patch
When creating full art cards with Dwarven culture, the culture won't correctly load (So it just generates the card without it) -It works with other cultures.

D'oh, I misnamed one of the files.  Go to templates/double_res_export/overlays and rename culture_dwarf_double.png -> culture_dwarven_double.png.  (If you're using a different template size, change the file in that folder instead.)  I'll get a fix out for this in the template files and main links in the next day or so.

November 19, 2020, 11:06:29 PM
Reply #88

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:29 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that the sites game text start a little further to the right on the generated cards then on actual cards. I've recreated both Dwarrowdelf Chamber and Caras Galadhon* in the generator, and both get cut off.

I just checked both of these images and as far as I can tell, they're fine:

If you notice any issues in the future send me an example (+ the CSV used to generate them) and I'll address em as they come up.

November 20, 2020, 03:55:15 AM
Reply #89

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2020, 03:55:15 AM »
Huh. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

November 20, 2020, 07:48:48 AM
Reply #90

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2020, 07:48:48 AM »
Update:
I regenerated some sites today (got my files back), and everything seems to be working fine. I don't know what happened with the sites before.

December 11, 2020, 06:53:59 AM
Reply #91

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »
How do you put the king and weta symbols on a card, as shown in this post?

December 11, 2020, 07:32:14 AM
Reply #92

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2020, 07:32:14 AM »
Use the custom_icon column. Those two icons are called "weta" and "king_countdown".

See the custom_icon section of the documentation for how to include new icons etc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNroWUOQIsaYW1oCn4Mb5EtAfMQXgrekxR5INhLkkYc/edit?usp=drivesdk

December 11, 2020, 09:19:26 AM
Reply #93

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2020, 09:19:26 AM »
Thanks, I must have missed that.

January 17, 2021, 09:07:18 PM
Reply #94

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »
Card Generator v2.0.0 Update

THIS IS A BIG UPDATE.  In particular, it alters the behavior of some of the csv columns, so read carefully if you've got existing spreadsheets that you are moving to a new version, as those will not work until they have been properly adjusted!

First of all, many of the size-factor columns have been adjusted.  Before, to adjust e.g. the game text width you had to know that it defaulted to 69% and that if you wanted a wider area you would change it to 70% or 71%, and if you wanted a narrower area you would make it 67% (etc).  This made altering sizes very tedious, as you had to basically experiment just to figure out what the default was, and then make your real adjustments from there.

As of now, all size columns are now MULTIPLIERS instead of absolute values. What this means is, instead of saying "71%" to make the game text area a little wider, you say "1.02" to make it wider, or "0.98" to make it narrower (specifically, 2% wider or 2% narrower, in these examples).  Affected columns have also usually had their names changed to make things less confusing as to their intended use.

A few new columns have also been added:
- title_area_scale permits for modifier cards (Possessions, etc) to have their title area extended, which can affect how long titles are cut into two lines (characters are unaffected as theirs already fills the entire visible area). 
- type_text_scale lets you alter the text size of the text in the type bar. 

To update your CSV to be compatible with the new release, follow these steps:

• Back up your cards.csv
  • Add new column title_area_scale
  • Add new column type_text_scale
  • Rename column title_font_size -> title_text_scale (and change absolute % values to multipliers)
  • Rename column subtitle_font_size -> subtitle_text_size (and change absolute % values to multipliers)

If you never used any of the columns from game_text_width onward, then I would advise copy-pasting your old card data (but not the columns!) into the included cards.csv with the release.

If you have any problems upgrading your CSV, please let me know here and I will help help you (up to and including doing it for you if you send me the csv).

The generator now has support for more file type outputs than just PNG.  You can now go into the settings.txt file and change output_format to be one of either png, jpg, gif, or bmp to have your output file match your selection.  Note that PNGs are the only file type that will "cut" the corners round, as that relies on transparency.  All others will simply have square corners.

The generator also has support for a new type of output: mockups. 

I don't expect this to be used by anyone outside of the Player's Council, but the basic idea is that cards which are not ready have a mode to be drawn in which looks like it was made with crayons.  To use this mode, either change the force_mockup setting to True, or add "mockup" to any card's tags column, and then bask in the wondrous result:

(crappy mspaint portrait art not included)

As you can see, no one would ever look at this card and think "you know what, that looks ready to print".  For the PC, this can be valuable to communicate the state of a card instantaneously.  For everyone else, well, I guess you don't have to use it.

And as a final note, nanDECK was updated to the non-beta 1.25.3.  Be sure to include that folder when updating your installation. 

Again, if you have any problems with updating your existing spreadsheets, then do not hesitate to reach out to me here or on the PC Discord for help.

Download link in the OP.

Documentation is included as a PDF with each release.  The latest version can also be found here on Google docs.

Change Log:

• Updated nanDECK to the latest 1.25.3 final release.
  • Fixed Dwarven culture icons not showing on full art cards.
  • All absolute size-based columns have been replaced with size-factor columns that treat 1.0 as no change and 0.5 and 2.0 as half and double, respectively.  Some names have been altered as a result.
  • Added a column for manually setting the size of the modifier template title bar
  • Added a column for manually sizing the text in the type bar
  • Fixed a recurring thin spacing bug
  • Added support for creating mockup cards, either via the new force_mockup setting, or on a per-card basis with the mockup tag.
  • Added new output_format setting that can be set to various output formats, notably jpg.
  • Made various small adjustments to alignment/size that were found to be out of whack.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:22:43 PM by TelTura »

January 26, 2021, 01:35:01 PM
Reply #95

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »
A couple of things, first, I'm not entirely sure what "force_mockup" changes. Does it make it use "crappy" templates?
Also (I haven't updated my nanDECK yet, so maybe this was fixed) I can't get unique dots to print on The One Ring cards..

January 26, 2021, 01:39:22 PM
Reply #96

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2021, 01:39:22 PM »

A couple of things, first, I'm not entirely sure what "force_mockup" changes. Does it make it use "crappy" templates?

Yes, that's precisely it, crappy templates and icons. Compare the image just posted with the Isildur, Heir of Elendil that it's based on.

Also (I haven't updated my nanDECK yet, so maybe this was fixed) I can't get unique dots to print on The One Ring cards..

Another user reported this with a previous version, and it should be fixed with the new release. If you use the release it has the latest version of nanDECK included, so you shouldn't need to manually update.

If the problem persists tho send me the problem csv and I'll take a look.

January 26, 2021, 01:40:44 PM
Reply #97

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2021, 01:40:44 PM »
Great, thanks for the clarification!

January 26, 2021, 04:48:11 PM
Reply #98

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »
Unfortunately the title is no longer displaying... https://i.imgur.com/JjNBkFN.png.

Also, for good measure, I attached the spreadsheet.

January 26, 2021, 08:47:59 PM
Reply #99

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:59 PM »

Card Generator v2.0.1 Update

See above for upgrade instructions if you are upgrading from version 1.x!

See download link in the OP.

Change Log:

• Fixed One Ring template not rendering title.
  • Fixed rare text corruption involving thin spaces.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:47:41 PM by TelTura »

January 26, 2021, 08:49:51 PM
Reply #100

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »
You should be good to go, James.  That was a dumb oversight on my part; I updated every card layout with the new title scaling logic except the one ring (and sites, which are fixed in size).  Let me know if the new version doesn't work for you.

January 26, 2021, 10:46:24 PM
Reply #101

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2021, 10:46:24 PM »
Card Generator v2.0.2 Update

Download link in the OP.

Change Log:

• Fixed the resistance ring icon being named incorrectly, which made ring-bearers impossible to make.  Only the images changed in this release; if you previously downloaded the Huge templates you will need to get them again.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:55:51 PM by TelTura »

January 27, 2021, 04:24:24 AM
Reply #102

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2021, 04:24:24 AM »
Wonderful! Thank you so much for helping, and for making this awesome tool in the first place.

January 28, 2021, 12:01:41 PM
Reply #103

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »
I've had this problem a couple times, when generating nanDECK says "Warning: counter A used without initialization
Warning: counter C used without initialization
Warning: counter E used without initialization
Warning: counter F used without initialization
Warning: counter I used without initialization"

It then refuses to draw the Possession • Type in middle of the bar, like this.

https://i.imgur.com/RaDjrFN.png

For good measure, the spreadsheet is attached.

January 28, 2021, 12:08:41 PM
Reply #104

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 12:08:41 PM »
Hmm. Usually this is a result of a malformed spreadsheet. I will investigate and get you a more firm answer later tonight.

January 29, 2021, 08:02:39 PM
Reply #105

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Card Generator v2.0.3 Update

Download here

Change Log:

• Fixing an issue where modifier type/subtype wasn't displaying properly
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:31:08 PM by TelTura »

April 28, 2022, 03:57:16 PM
Reply #106

whitewolfjm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2022, 03:57:16 PM »
I had posted this in a different thread and realized I should probably post it here instead:

Loving this application, and really loving the full art card template.  A request for that if I may.  Would it be possible to either put a stroke color on the text and icons for the full art cards or maybe a light semi-opaque box on the game text area?  this would make game text much more readable on the art.

Thanks again.

April 30, 2022, 12:02:24 AM
Reply #107

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2022, 12:02:24 AM »
I've tried various incarnations doing that, and never found a version that looks good in every case.  I myself just edit each background image to have the proper contrast as needed.

May 02, 2022, 04:17:54 PM
Reply #108

whitewolfjm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »
I've tried various incarnations doing that, and never found a version that looks good in every case.  I myself just edit each background image to have the proper contrast as needed.

So when you edit the image, are you just editing where the text will go or do you adjust contrast for the whole image?  If just where the text will go, can you give me the locations for the game text area on the image? (assuming a full portrait image)

May 02, 2022, 04:47:12 PM
Reply #109

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
Well, I end up doing contrast work for the whole image (alongside color correction etc), but what I'm talking about involves spot-fixing wherever the text goes. There isn't a specific area I can give you, because it's down to adjusting where the specific text ends up landing. See this Google drive folder for examples of what I'm talking about: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KRDWvkSQe67CEzqwhWrWg9ndiR_0wY25

May 12, 2022, 06:52:57 AM
Reply #110

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2022, 06:52:57 AM »
Question: The generator comes with both a cards.csv and cards.ods. What purpose does the ods serve?

May 12, 2022, 11:15:23 AM
Reply #111

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
The tutorial video explains this. Basically, csv files have zero formatting information, including column width. If you want to have a usable workspace that preserves your formatting etc, you'll need to use an ods or xlsx file, and export to csv.

However I don't use that method anymore. Instead I use the Google sheet method, which nandeck supports, and then I don't need to juggle different files. That method is detailed in the documentation pdf.

May 12, 2022, 11:41:15 AM
Reply #112

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
Okay, thanks. I just use xlsx so I haven't noticed anything.

June 01, 2022, 06:45:36 AM
Reply #113

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2022, 06:45:36 AM »
This might be a question more about nanDECK than the generator, I don't know. Is it possible to print the cards at half or third (or anything other than 1x) times size? I'm trying to print out a bunch, not to play with, but rather to just fit as many cards on one page while still being readable (so like 4x4 or 4x5 instead of 3x3). Anybody have any idea on how to do this?

July 19, 2022, 03:35:30 PM
Reply #114

Crainiac (The set 20 project)

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • My favorite film is LOTR ROTK
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:30 PM »
Hey, I was trying to make a card in nandeck but it wasn't working. I couldn't get my images  to show up. I tried using the templates and it didn't work either. I also couldn't get the customized strength vitality and site number. I read through the PDF but I still couldn't figure it out.
The age of man is over, The time of the orc has come...

July 19, 2022, 03:59:07 PM
Reply #115

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »
This could be something different, but if you only have one card in the spreadsheet it doesn't work for some reason.

July 19, 2022, 05:16:29 PM
Reply #116

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
This might be a question more about nanDECK than the generator, I don't know. Is it possible to print the cards at half or third (or anything other than 1x) times size? I'm trying to print out a bunch, not to play with, but rather to just fit as many cards on one page while still being readable (so like 4x4 or 4x5 instead of 3x3). Anybody have any idea on how to do this?

There's not really a way to do this with nandeck (or at least, not with the LOTR script). You'll just have to manually resize the images, tho this can be automated with Gimp or python or what have you.

July 19, 2022, 05:30:03 PM
Reply #117

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2022, 05:30:03 PM »
Hey, I was trying to make a card in nandeck but it wasn't working. I couldn't get my images  to show up. I tried using the templates and it didn't work either. I also couldn't get the customized strength vitality and site number. I read through the PDF but I still couldn't figure it out.

Alright, so, pro tip: "doesn't work" is incredibly vague, and I'd advise just never using it as a phrase when it comes to tech stuff . When you download the card generator and run it by itself there are two cards in the example csv: when you right-click the "validate deck" button, does it produce those two examples, or does it make flat black cards, or does spit out an error in the bottom and produce nothing but white in the card preview area?

If that works, then can you modify cards.csv to make the example card different? Different text, different stats, different templates, whatever. If you're able to modify the example cards, then you should be able to add new cards no problem. James is right in that there is a bug where 1 card doesn't work for some reason, so I would leave the example cards in cards.csv until you have 2 or more of your own.

There's a video here that demonstrates how to use the script, and it might be useful to see it in action to see if there's any steps you're missing: https://youtu.be/aK5_3jEAQOg

July 23, 2022, 06:16:45 PM
Reply #118

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »
I've noticed that the cards generated by this thing have a slight shadow under the twilight cost text, whereas there is no such thing on the official cards (Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer). Is there a way to disable this, so as to make cards as close to pixel perfect as possible? I can respond with a screen shot of said shadow if necessary.

July 24, 2022, 07:42:31 PM
Reply #119

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
Pixel-perfect isn't gonna happen; there are at least 3 different eras of card that the generator averages between, meaning that it no longer produces a 1:1 image that matches any one of them.  It DID match movie era pretty darn closely early on, but after being met with the differences I decided to pick and choose whatever standards maximized card text area.

The twilight shadow in this case is actually for improved visibility; it's not so big a deal on the printed cards (which of course was Decipher's main concern), but on digital screens the contrast is not very good.  That said, if you truly want to be a purist in this area (and are okay not being a purist in things like game text margin), then you can apply a hack by editing around line 350:

Change each of those "0.5%" to a "0%", and each of the "0.03" to a "0".  I would encourage you to do a before/after comparison and decide if it is actually an improvement.  (Also note that this will affect the drop shadow on non-twilight numbers such as Strength, Vitality, etc.  If you want to keep those, alter the lines that reference "twilight" and keep the ones that reference "numbers").

(Also, you'll need to reapply this change any time there's an update, just be advised.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 07:45:16 PM by TelTura »

July 24, 2022, 08:57:49 PM
Reply #120

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2022, 08:57:49 PM »
Worked like a charm; thank you!