LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Returning Player, Where to Get Started  (Read 2061 times)

August 28, 2020, 08:31:06 PM
Read 2061 times

Jerric

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Returning Player, Where to Get Started
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

Recently came across this site after deciding to start collecting and playing this game again.  Listening to the Prancing Pony Podcast reignited my love of LOTR/Tolkien and I want to get back into TCGs based on the property.  Longtime TCG player but fell out of them for too long.  I thought about playing the MECCG but too much of a learning curve for me at this point.  Plus, something about this game just draws you in, I am sure you all understand. 

Anywhoo, I had some questions about how to get started that I hoped you would be able to help me with.  I think I found the right forum for this topic but please let me know if it should be moved elsewhere.

1) It seems to me that there is quite a schism between cards based on the movies and cards printed afterwards (assuming Wikipedia can be believed).  Do people even play using the newer sets?  I will say the new sites mechanic kind of rubs me the wrong way.

2) Is the deck building and tournament structure setup like Magic, meaning there are block formats, a format with a few more sets included, and a format with every card legal? 

3) If there are defined formats for the game now, what types of formats are most popular?  Last I played was before ROTK and I had very few people to play with even then.

4) I presume no one mixes cards from the Shadows sets and the "movie" sets.  To me this would be good to know so I know what cards I want to buy.

5) Do some people play for fun or is the game now more like Magic and net-decks run (ruin?) the show?  I would hope since the game is officially "dead" for years that people would have a little more fun.

6) Knowing that I have zero cards are there certain sets I should focus on buying over another?  Better to just by FOTR stuff since it's probably more popular or just buy what I can find?  I do want to track down an Expanded Middle-Earth set for Elladan and Elrohir.

Thanks for the time guys. I plan to spend plenty of time reading all the rulebooks, CRDs, and rules forums, so hopefully not too many dumb rules questions  :)
I’ll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
-Jim Morrison

August 29, 2020, 02:18:25 AM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Returning Player, Where to Get Started
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 02:18:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

Recently came across this site after deciding to start collecting and playing this game again.  Listening to the Prancing Pony Podcast reignited my love of LOTR/Tolkien and I want to get back into TCGs based on the property.  Longtime TCG player but fell out of them for too long.  I thought about playing the MECCG but too much of a learning curve for me at this point.  Plus, something about this game just draws you in, I am sure you all understand. 

Anywhoo, I had some questions about how to get started that I hoped you would be able to help me with.  I think I found the right forum for this topic but please let me know if it should be moved elsewhere.

You found the right place!

1) It seems to me that there is quite a schism between cards based on the movies and cards printed afterwards (assuming Wikipedia can be believed).  Do people even play using the newer sets?  I will say the new sites mechanic kind of rubs me the wrong way.

People do in fact play the post-Shadows formats less, but they aren't dead formats:

FOTR is far and away the most popular at half of all virtual games played, and Movie is a third, but Expanded is there at 10-15% of the total. 

The site changes rubbed me the wrong way at first, but I've grown to appreciate it.  The culture rearrangement tho, screw that noise.

2) Is the deck building and tournament structure setup like Magic, meaning there are block formats, a format with a few more sets included, and a format with every card legal? 

There are somewhat more than a dozen formats; at the time that the game was active it was fairly close to how Magic does things, but since Decipher up and died, there's a lot of interest in maintaining formats from different periods of time: 

- FOTR/TTT/ROTK cover three sets each for their respective movie (1-3, 4-6, 7/8/10)
- War of the Ring and Hunter block are the next groups of 3-set chunks (11-13, 15-18)
- Movie block covers all pre-Shadows cards in sets 1-10, using ROTK sites
- Expanded permits for cards from any block (using Shadows+ sites) except for an X-list of banned cards
- Open is the same format as Expanded with no X-list and only a very slim R-list of restricted cards
- "Anything Goes" is a sort of non-format that permits you to use any sites you like, with no restrictions whatsoever

Besides these there are a bunch of historical formats that represent snapshots of the Standard format at various times, such as Towers Standard, etc.

3) If there are defined formats for the game now, what types of formats are most popular?  Last I played was before ROTK and I had very few people to play with even then.

I suppose I answered this already above.  FOTR, then Movie, then Expanded, then the rest.

4) I presume no one mixes cards from the Shadows sets and the "movie" sets.  To me this would be good to know so I know what cards I want to buy.

You can in Expanded/Open, but those formats (Open especially) have a stigma of it being nothing but broken combos.  People pull their punches intentionally to avoid using all the broken combos available.

5) Do some people play for fun or is the game now more like Magic and net-decks run (ruin?) the show?  I would hope since the game is officially "dead" for years that people would have a little more fun.

Funnily enough, because the game has been dead for a decade and no one (until recently!) was willing to take up the torch to perform errata rulings, people settled into a status quo where the truly broken monstrous combos are all known, but you can't use 'em because people will recognize your username and stop playing with you. 

As an aside, this is one of the things that the relatively new Player's Council is aiming to disrupt, by issuing errata and maintaining the X-lists, to bring those formats back into a competitive state again. 

6) Knowing that I have zero cards are there certain sets I should focus on buying over another?  Better to just by FOTR stuff since it's probably more popular or just buy what I can find?  I do want to track down an Expanded Middle-Earth set for Elladan and Elrohir.

I would advise buying the cards you want to have to scratch your collector's itch.  If you want to just play, the way to do it is digitally on Gemp (http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/hall.html), a platform that enforces all the rules and lets you play in the browser.  As shown in the chart at the top of the page, there were close to 8,000 games played in the last month, so if you truly just want to play I say ditch the cardboard and just play that way.

If you still want to get the cardboard, I can't advise you on what will get used, as that's going to be determined by who's physically close to you; you'll have to find out there.

Thanks for the time guys. I plan to spend plenty of time reading all the rulebooks, CRDs, and rules forums, so hopefully not too many dumb rules questions  :)

We won't mind questions!  I would also advise hopping onto the Facebook group if you have a Facebook account; it's quite a bit more active than the forums.  The Player's Council Discord is also active and available to answer questions in chat.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1465106970387398/

PC Discord: https://discord.gg/mmyYfJ7
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

August 30, 2020, 08:22:02 AM
Reply #2

Jerric

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
Thanks for all that great information, I'll definitely hop into the Discord.  I'll take a look at Gemp also. I never got used to playing card games online but I may be willing to give it a try.

Any particular reason Fellowship block is so popular?
I’ll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
-Jim Morrison

September 06, 2020, 10:46:11 PM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
There are two factors I think that lead to FOTR being as popular as it is.

First I think is just plain nostalgia.  ROTK had some power creep issues and Shadows onwards had the restructure and steady drop in quality.  TTT didn't have any major deterrents like that, but how many people started with TTT?  When looking back, I think FOTR was just the time they got into the game for the most number of people, and that has staying power.

Second I think is that FOTR had the most cohesive mechanic-thematic matchup.  When you strip the game down to its bare bones, it's basically built from the ground up to tell the story of FOTR: weak, vulnerable main character surrounded by friends and allies who sacrifice themselves to get the ring-bearer to the end safely.  This is not the story of TTT or ROTK, and yet the core mechanics didn't change (Decipher is rumored to have considered doing a drastic revamp of the game to make it fit TTT, but ultimately decided to keep the basic structure with a different coat of paint).  I think that part of the appeal of the game is how well it marries mechanics and thematics, and this is most apparent in FOTR.  I don't know that that's the reason people will tell you, but I think it's lurking under the surface somewhere.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.