LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Game day!  (Read 1658 times)

August 04, 2020, 03:56:55 AM
Read 1658 times

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Game day!
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:56:55 AM »
Everything in my LotR is so rusty, so I don't even know if this is the right segment. Sorry Kralik, since I helped to form and name some of these area's of the website :lol:

So! We - Christiaan - and I, we had our game day again. We made a pact a few years back to play this wonderful game at least once a year. Yesterday we played games 2, 3 and 4 of 2020. What a great game this is!

1. My Gondor Knights/Sauron conditions VS his Rainbow Shadowplay/Sauron skirmish burdens.

This was a tough one. My knights took some time to set up, and my orcs did nothing! I always liked the idea of Orc Banner, and with Fires Raged Unchecked I thought I could beef up Orc Butcher enough to offer some food for thought. I was wrong lol. His fellowship grew to a group of 8 and with all the Shadowplay/Unheeded going on there was nothing my deck could do. My fellowship was taking hits as well, since the fortifications remained in the deck. Given that he was leading on the sites as well, it wasn't looking good. I made a risky move at site 5. He left quite some twilight and I reckoned he had no minions left. So I made the move and he drew no additional ones. Now I was in the lead and on top of that my Fourth Levels all started to show up. That was a win.

2. My Pipeweed/Moria swarm VS his Dwarves/Dunland.

Man, this was a tight game. I went first, and I love me some pipeweed. Had 4 pipes, so twilight wasn't a problem, wounds weren't a problem, burdens were not a problem. A forced walk to site 8 was however lol. Great fun with both sides taking serious hits and had  to do some serious thinking. My Orcs did great and a surprise Balrog almost gave me victory. Came 1 twilight short of playing Sauron instead of the Balrog and that would have been the end. We took an extra turn after he had beaten me, and I played 10/12 minions including Enquea and Sauron. So a close game and a great one too.

3. My Rainbow Slaked Thirst/Ninja Gollum VS his Solo Smeagol/Ninja Gollum.

I was laughing as soon as I saw the Ninja Gollum cards. What are the odds? In the beginning Shelob posed a threat because eventhough I can deal quite some wounds right from the start, an enduring 8 vitality minion is not good. For him however it was not great to fight a single 2 costing minion who was able to cycle like crazy. I had packed various Gollums and at first I just played the one that let me discard cards to add 1 or 2 strength. That way I was forcing him to play and discard the stuff he needed in the long run. Not the most exciting game, but fun nonetheless!

Man, what a game. And such a shame we are just the two of us in our circle of friend who still want to play. It sucks to build a deck and play it only once. Back in the days we played the same deck vs several people so you could see whether it was any good in different circumstances. Also you were more engaged in the whole building process, because you were tweaking your deck in between games. Anyway, I love our pact, will honor it as long as I live, since it is an awesome game!
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 04, 2020, 08:44:42 AM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Game day!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
How did his Dwarf fellowship hold off against Moria for so long? I would've figured Gimli skirmishing so often alone would've done him in, and then there's the potential to overwhelm a companion or two along the way.

Count yourself lucky you've got one ;) A friend got me into this game after he'd already all but quit, I've played maybe 3 games in person. But hey, I'm sure if you can draw one or two of them back in the rest will have no choice but to follow!