LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #16  (Read 1560 times)

August 08, 2020, 10:16:32 PM
Read 1560 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #16
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision - but each of the tied cards will appear in the final set card list.

On to Stuff!

Last week's winner...
    Inspire adds another adventuring Hobbit with Pippin, Out of the Bog and Briar!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #17...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [3] •Angmar Haunts Us Still [Wraith]
    Condition • Support Area
    To play, stack a Nazgûl here.
    Each Nazgûl is twilight cost -1 for each Nazgûl stacked here.
    Response: If this condition is about to be discarded, stack a Nazgûl from play or from hand here to prevent that.
    "'You only slew his steed.  It was a good deed; but the Rider was soon horsed again.'"

Quote from: Entry #2
    [2] •Westward March From Rhûn [Raider]
    Condition • Support Area
    When you play this condition, you may spot 2 [Raider] Men to stack an Easterling here from your draw deck.
    Shadow: Play an Easterling stacked here to stack an Easterling here from your draw deck (limit once per site).
    Regroup: Remove a burden or discard this condition to shuffle up to two Easterlings from your discard pile into your draw deck.

Quote from: Entry #3
    [2] Variag Armaments [Raider]
    Possession • Hand Weapon/Shield
    Strength +2
    Vitality +2
    To play, bearer must not be bearing any possessions. Bearer must be an Easterling.
    Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, exert him to play a [Raider] hand weapon from your discard pile.
    "...and the Variags surged up from the south..."

Designer's notes: I took elements of both Pavise and Elven Armaments and smashed them together into a card that invokes a "hand weapons matter" theme for a sub-sub-culture that doesn't exist: Variags. I would've added a twilight discount into the Response effect, but seeing as the other two Easterling-bearable hand weapons are already free (Easterling Polearm and Raider Halberd) I suppose Decipher took care of this on their end.

Quote from: Entry #4
    [3] •Ill-favoured Fellow [Wraith]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 7
    Vitality: 1
    Site: 2
    At the start of the maneuver phase, you may remove the game text (except card type and race) from a companion (except the Ring-bearer) until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may make the Ring-bearer put on The One Ring until the regroup phase to prevent this.
    "One of the Bree-landers, who seemed to have been in the Shire several times, wanted to know where the Underhills lived and who they were related to."

Designer's notes: Ill-favoured Fellow offers [Wraith] (likely Twilight Nazgul in particular) a means to temporarily neutralize a key companion, while providing the Free Peoples player the option to risk a Return to Its Master or Wraith World in order to prevent the effect.

Quote from: Entry #5
    [2] The Pits of Dol Guldur [Wraith]
    Possession • Support Area
    Nazgûl (and [Sauron] trackers) gain hunter 2.
    Assignment: Exert a [Wraith] or [Sauron] minion twice to assign it to a character bearing a Ring (allow him or her to skirmish if an ally). He or she may exert instead.
    "Wolves pursued him, Orcs waylaid him... he was tormented and the Ring taken from him, and then at last he died."

Designer's notes: Ever wanted to dig an obnoxious Elf lord/lady out of his/her bunker? Or divert Durin III to a lesser threat, while your Orcs/Nazgul feast on his weaker kinsfolk? Or punish Gandalf for exerting too much? I tell you, Elrond won't be (ab)using Vilya so freely if that implies having too little vitality to avoid being hunted by Sauron's forces!

This week's contest is...
    Card #7!

• A [Gollum] card (after Worse Than Orcs)
    • A [Gondor] card (before Sheltered Hollow)

...you better believe I'll be thinking about a viable [Gollum] entry to spoil [Gondor]'s second card. Heh.  :twisted:

Closing date: August 15th! Good luck!

:cheers: Lairs Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
    1. Burned Village ([Dunland] • Condition] - Dictionary - 12
    2. •Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
    3. •Balin, Lord of Moria ([Dwarven] • Ally) - menace64 - 8
    5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
    6. Worse Than Orcs ([Gollum] • Event) - menace64 - 9
    7. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
    8. Sheltered Hollow ([Gondor] • Condition) - TelTura - 6
    11. Smoke From Isengard ([Isengard] • Condition) - menace64 - 13
    14. •Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
    16. •Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl ([Raider] • Minion) - SGollum - 7
    17. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
    18. Southern Stranger ([Wraith] • Minion) - Inspire - 10
    20. •Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
    21. •Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5
    22. •Pippin, Out of the Bog and Briar ([Shire] • Companion] - Inspire - 14
    23. The Black Gate (Site) - SGollum - 11

The Misadventure Deck (cards that lost due to tied-decision but will appear in final cardlist! Maybe?)
    26. •Durin's Axe, Omen of Fortune
    27. From Lowest Dungeon to Highest Peak
    28. Orkish Whip
    29. •Mountains of Shadow[/list]

August 09, 2020, 12:00:57 AM
    Reply #1

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #16
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 12:00:57 AM »
    (0)Horn of Boromir, From Vanished Years [Gondor]
    Possession
    Vitality +1
    Bearer must be Boromir or Denethor.
    Maneuver: If bearer is Denethor, exert him to exert a minion.
    Skirmish: If bearer is Boromir, exert him to make a minion strength -2.
    "'And in my turn I bore it, and so did each eldest son of our house... the River brought it to me, broken...'"

This elevates the strategic value of the House of the Stewards: a SotSF skill for Boromir's lungs (whole), or a catalyst for Denethor's despair and vengeance (broken). Removing them from irrelevance (especially Denethor), not mere fighters anymore.
    « Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:54:51 PM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

August 09, 2020, 03:45:28 PM
    Reply #2

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »
    [1] Oath of Cirion [Gondor]
    Tale. Bearer must be a Valiant Man. Limit 1 per bearer.
    Bearer is strength +1 for each Knight you can spot (limit +3).
    "Such an oath had not been heard in Middle-earth since Elendil himself had sworn alliance with Gil-galad King of the Eldar."

Context : http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/o/oathofcirion.html

August 12, 2020, 03:26:37 AM
    Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
      • Player's Council Discord
    « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 03:26:37 AM »
    [1] •No Answer But Echoes [Gondor]
    Condition • Support Area
    At the start of the maneuver phase, choose one: exert Boromir to play a companion from your draw deck, or all minions are strength +1 until the regroup phase.
    Response: if an exhausted [Gondor] companion is about to take a wound, discard 4 cards from hand to prevent that wound.
    'At first the Orcs had been dismayed, and had drawn back...'

I actually came here to do a Horn, but I see that's been done.  I suppose I'll see if the same thing I was aiming for could work as a condition instead...
    Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

August 12, 2020, 01:05:29 PM
    Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »
    (0) Doughty Men [Gondor]
    Event • Response
    If the fellowship moves to a mountain site, spot 2 [Gondor] Men in the fellowship to remove [1] for each Hobbit companion.
    "Even now, burdened as he was, he was widening the track for those who followed..."

[2] •Boromir, Member of the Company [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Strength: 7
    Vitality: 3
    Signet: Frodo
    Fellowship. Ranger.
    While you cannot spot 3 burdens, Boromir is defender +1.
    Add [3] each time Boromir loses his skirmish.
    "'...you are in peril as long as you remain with us. The danger will increase with every league...'"
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 05:45:44 PM by menace64 »

August 13, 2020, 09:52:18 PM
    Reply #5

azogsbane

• Information Offline
    • Tracker
    « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
    [2] Commandeered Vessel [Gondor]
    Possession • Support Area
    Fellowship: Remove X culture tokens from a Shadow card (or exert X [Gondor] companions) to play a [Gondor] companion from your discard pile; its twilight cost is -X and it is strength +X until the regroup phase. Discard this possession.
    "But the hosts of Mordor were seized with bewilderment, and a great wizardry it seemed to them that their own ships should be filled with their foes."

This started as roughly the opposite of Black Sails of Umbar. I added the alternate cost (exertions) to make it not completely dependent upon your opponent having certain cards, and I added the strength bonus to make it more worthwhile to discard a companion (such as Aragorn) from your hand ahead of time so that you can play him later with a bonus. It is compatible with Gondor wraiths, which jives well with the story (especially as portrayed in the movies). Another option for the lore could have been: "Thus came Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Elessar, Elendil's heir, out of the Paths of the Dead, born upon a wind from the sea to the kingdom of Gondor."
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:54:39 PM by azogsbane »

August 15, 2020, 09:38:26 PM
    Reply #6

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:38:26 PM »
    [1] Bold Counsel [Gondor]
    Event • Maneuver
    To play, exert a unique [Gondor] Man.
    Until the regroup phase, each time a companion is about to take a wound, add a burden to prevent that.
    "It is mad not to use it, to use the power of the Enemy against him. The fearless, the ruthless, these alone will achieve victory. What could not a warrior do in this hour, a great leader?"

August 15, 2020, 09:53:02 PM
    Reply #7

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
    A minor nitpick - the image you've chosen appears to be for Pippin, In the Bog and Briar, whereas the title is actually Pippin, Out of the Bog and Briar.

August 16, 2020, 09:52:35 AM
    Reply #8

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »
    Haha I accept the criticism as valid and true.

I'll start hunting for another picture - if you've got any input I'm all ears!