LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #2  (Read 3694 times)

November 08, 2020, 11:48:58 AM
Read 3694 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #2
« on: November 08, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords!

Lords is a Movie-block set - meaning no 11+ cultures, and [Wraith] is Ringwraith, not Wraith. Shadows-era sites are acceptable.

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's cardlist. Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the card titles of previously-victorious cards. As the contest progresses, the cardlist will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices. Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with submissions.

To become a contestant, you gotta do three things: PM me your card submission for the active round; Vote on the last round's submissions; and leave a Comment in the current round describing your vote (yes you can vote for yourself), along with any card reviews you wish to provide.

By constraining card submissions to PMs, I hope to buff some of the excitement each week, as well as develop a private line of communication with each contestant in order to help eliminate 8-liners and other basic formatting errors that typically kill a submission before it even makes it to a vote. This should also make each newly-posted round more exciting!

In the event of any ties, I'm still unsure exactly what I want to do. It'll either be the same as season 1 (randomized tie-breaker), or we'll start some sort of showdown mechanic I haven't quite worked out yet. Dunno! Whatever the solution, I'd be thrilled to end this season without a single card landing on the misadventure list (but it'll be there should we need it).

If you every have any questions about what to do or who to do it to, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #15...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [3] •Golasgil, Lord of Anfalas [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Strength: 7
    Vitality: 3
    Signet: None
    Knight. To play, spot 2 [Gondor] Men.
    When you play Golasgil, you may play a helm, shield and armor on him from your draw deck.
    "From Afalas... men of many sorts... scantily equipped save for the householf of Golasgil their lord."

Designer's notes: There are currently no helm which can be borne by [Gondor] companions. If this wins, we will make one! Furthermore, [Gondor] shields are rarely used so I thought it would be fun to make a card that can interact positively with them.
    From https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Golasgil : In March of the year TA 3019, Golasgil marched to the defense of Minas Tirith with scantily equipped hunters, herdsmen, and villagers, except for the members of his household. Golasgil's army was quickly overrun by the forces of Mordor during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. However, since he was not mentioned among the fallen in the Song of the Mounds of Mundburg, Golasgil presumably survived the great battle.

Quote from: Entry #2
    [3] •Isildur, Master of Mortal Men [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Ringed Resistance: 5
    Knight.
    Each time the fellowship moves, add a burden and a threat or remove your other [Gondor] companion from the game.
    Regroup: If Isildur won a skirmish at this site, exert him to play a [Gondor] companion removed from the game.

Quote from: Entry #3
    [3] •Balcony of Orthanc [Isengard]
    Artifact • Support Area
    While you can spot Saruman, each Uruk-hai and [Dunland] Man is strength +1 for each site you control (and cannot take wounds if you control 3 sites).
    Regroup: Discard Saruman, an Uruk-hai, and this artifact to take control of a site.
    "There is a new power rising."

Quote from: Entry #4
    [4] •Saruman, Lord of Industry [Isengard]
    Minion • Wizard
    Strength: 8
    Vitality: 4
    Site: 4
    Saruman may not be assigned to a skirmish. When you play Saruman, you may play a machine from your draw deck.
    Shadow: Exert Saruman to place an [Isengard] token on a machine.
    Regroup: Heal Saruman to play a machine from your discard pile.

Quote from: Entry #5
    [2] Servants of the White Hand [Isengard]
    Condition • Support Area
    To play, exert an Uruk-hai.
    When you play this, add an [Isengard] token here for each [Isengard] minion you can spot.
    Skirmish: Remove an [Isengard] token from here to make an Uruk-hai strength +2 or damage +1. (Limit once.)

Quote from: Entry #6
    [1] Throne Room Agent [Isengard]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 5
    Vitality: 2
    Site: 3
    The Free Peoples player may not modify the twilight cost of your [Isengard] cards.
    "‘Do you not remember how eagerly he urged that no man should be spared on a wild goose chase northward, when the immediate peril was westward? He persuaded you to forbid Éomer to pursue the raiding Orcs.'"

This week's contest is...

Card #26!

While technically the field is almost entirely open, I'm going to slightly restrict your options. This week's submission must be:
    • A [Rohan] card
    • A [Sauron] card
    • A [Shire] card
    • A site card
    [Moria], [Raider], and [Wraith] could work as submissions this week but those cultures would grossly pervert the final cardlist were they to claim the #26 slot, which is why I've temporarily dropped the moratorium hammer. If you would prefer the voting process to handle this sort of thing in the future, lemme know!

Closing Date: November 14th!

:cheers: LORDS Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week It Won
    15. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
    26. IN CREATION THIS WEEK

Have a great week, everybody![/list]
    « Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:27:58 PM by menace64 »

November 08, 2020, 01:01:24 PM
    Reply #1

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 2: Lords #2
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
    I could've seen myself voting for any of these cards, but this week I had to go with Balcony of Orthanc for its numerous connections across cultures and decklists.

November 08, 2020, 05:38:44 PM
    Reply #2

azogsbane

• Information Offline
    • Tracker
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
    I voted for Golasgil because helm, shield and armor possessions need more to do this game.

November 08, 2020, 06:00:53 PM
    Reply #3

Legion

• Information Offline
    • Horseman
    « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 06:00:53 PM »

Quote from: Entry #1
    [3] •Golasgil, Lord of Anfalas [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Signet: None
    Knight. To play, spot 2 [Gondor] Men.
    When you play Golasgil, you may play a helm, shield and armor on him from your draw deck.
    "From Afalas... men of many sorts... scantily equipped save for the householf of Golasgil their lord."
    An interesting idea, although it needs to specify not in the starting fellowship.  My main issue with it is that the possessions can be transferred, and this guy then burned/left to die. He's a pretty big pull at site 3 with Denethor if used in this way. But it would be nice to see some more defensive possessions played.

Quote from: Entry #2
    [3] •Isildur, Master of Mortal Men [Gondor]
    Companion • Man
    Ringed Resistance: 5
    Knight.
    Each time the fellowship moves, add a burden and a threat or remove your other [Gondor] companion from the game.
    Regroup: If Isildur won a skirmish at this site, exert him to play a [Gondor] companion removed from the game.

This is very interesting. With SaWtC and Narsil, you have a strength 15 Ringbearer with no Skirmish drawback. If one of the artifacts is Scroll of Isildur, you still get the acceptable 8 resistance. If it didn't have the Regroup ability, it may have won my vote, but playing cards removed from the game not only defeats the point, but here it is a bit too strong (especially as there is no limit: win a fight at site 8 and then play 4 companions for your move to 9)

Artifact • Support Area
    While you can spot Saruman, each Uruk-hai and [Dunland] Man is strength +1 for each site you control (and cannot take wounds if you control 3 sites).
    Regroup: Discard Saruman, an Uruk-hai, and this artifact to take control of a site.

A simple, but effective looking card that may make Saruman, Servant of the Eye useful in Site Control decks (particularly for playing the Uruks that stack on sites). Rabble Rouser is also commonly seen in Dunland, but the ability definitely helps Uruks more: if Dunland already control 2 sites, you're in trouble).

Minion • Wizard
    When you play Saruman, you may play a machine from your draw deck. Saruman may not be assigned to a skirmish.

4 twilight to get 4 machines and 3 tokens out (I'd prefer it if this couldn't take wounds in the archery phase). But token machines are fun, and it's cool that you could get back a scaling ladder. The first two sentences should be swapped so that you could try Saruman's staff on this guy.  Still gets my vote, though, as I'd love to see this interact with Beserk Butcher and Scaling Ladder

Quote from: Entry #5
    [2] Servants of the White Hand [Isengard]
    Condition • Support Area
    To play, exert an Uruk-hai.
    When you play this, add an [Isengard] token here for each [Isengard] minion you can spot.
    Skirmish: Remove an [Isengard] token from here to make an Uruk-hai strength +2 or damage +1. (Limit once.)

An Isengard swarm enabler, at the cost of a card in hand. If it were a machine and required the removal of 3 tokens (or if you could also discard for the bonus), I think I'd like it even more, but this is fun.

Quote from: Entry #6
    [1] Throne Room Agent [Isengard]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 5
    Vitality: 2
    Site: 3
    The Free Peoples player may not modify the twilight cost of your [Isengard] cards.
    "‘Do you not remember how eagerly he urged that no man should be spared on a wild goose chase northward, when the immediate peril was westward? He persuaded you to forbid Éomer to pursue the raiding Orcs.'"

It's fine, but I think Isengard men needed something more than a help against Dauntless Hunter. Fun to see how people do try to make the idea work, though!

November 08, 2020, 06:27:46 PM
    Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »
    Minion • Wizard
    When you play Saruman, you may play a machine from your draw deck. Saruman may not be assigned to a skirmish.

4 twilight to get 4 machines and 3 tokens out (I'd prefer it if this couldn't take wounds in the archery phase). But token machines are fun, and it's cool that you could get back a scaling ladder. The first two sentences should be swapped so that you could try Saruman's staff on this guy.  Still gets my vote, though, as I'd love to see this interact with Beserk Butcher and Scaling Ladder

The original submission had the "No Skirmish For Me" text first, but due to a few minor formatting tweaks that line was switched with the When Played text. I've rectified the error.

November 09, 2020, 04:05:46 AM
    Reply #5

JamesCB

• Information Offline
    • Troll
    « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 04:05:46 AM »
    Artifact • Support Area

I love this card. A flat out strength boost, plus a site control when you need it. Before this, I never even thought of combining Uruk-hai and [Dunland], but this would definitely make it possible.

November 09, 2020, 09:09:24 AM
    Reply #6

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 09:09:24 AM »
    I neglected to mention this: anybody is allowed to vote, even if you don't submit a card of your own.

November 10, 2020, 03:47:07 AM
    Reply #7

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 03:47:07 AM »
    Golasgil : Fits with the theme, fun to make shields useful, but as someone pointed out, might be too strong with Denethor. Will depend on that Helm though...

Isildur : I would need some designer's comment to understand the reason for bringing remove from the game mechanic for Isildur instead of discard or place in dead pile. Also, what's the point of putting cards out of the game if you can bring them back so easily?

Balcony of Orthanc : I like the first half of the card. Then, why make the second ability useful only if you play Uruks? Would have been better if it could work with Dunland too. Then, is a Balcony really an artifact? I know the library is, but a balcony?

Saruman : I love the idea behind this card but it looks a bit too powerful to me. Just removing the play machine  from draw deck line would make me more comfortable with it.

Servants of the White Hand : Feels a bit blend. Not sure if the exert an Uruk-Hai requirement is necessary. Would be good in a 122 cards set but since we only have 30 spots, I prefer to pick more exciting stuff.

Throne Room Agent : I like how it fits with the set theme but it feels too weak as a card. I don't think that people would use it. Lore feels a bit long too.

My vote goes to Golasgil. If it wins, we'll have to be cautious when designing an helm to go with him.

November 13, 2020, 07:51:36 AM
    Reply #8

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
    We seem to be in need of a tie-breaker vote.

In case of a tie, what do any of y'all wanna do? Are we content with the misadventure deck rules from last season, or is there an alternative you'd prefer to see employed? I'm down with just about anything.

November 13, 2020, 02:07:40 PM
    Reply #9

JamesCB

• Information Offline
    • Troll
    « Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
    In case of a tie, what do any of y'all wanna do? Are we content with the misadventure deck rules from last season, or is there an alternative you'd prefer to see employed? I'm down with just about anything.
    It might mess up the set length, but what if tied cards all end up in the end? If that's not what we want, I'm fine with the misadventure deck.

November 13, 2020, 03:38:20 PM
    Reply #10

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 03:38:20 PM »
    That's an option, and it might be fun to watch sets balloon out as the number of ties increase.

Now, I did a quick count and right now we have 6 votes but only 5 replies. The floating vote belongs to Saruman, so I maaaaay invalidate that vote if nobody claims it by tomorrow night.

November 13, 2020, 04:52:54 PM
    Reply #11

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »
    That%u2019s an option, and it might be fun to watch sets balloon out as the number of ties increase.

Now, I did a quick count and right now we have 6 votes but only 5 replies. The floating vote belongs to Saruman, so I maaaaay invalidate that vote if nobody claims it by tomorrow night.
    That could be the first tie breaker. I suggest that the second tie breaker is to remove the vote of people who voted for themselves. Third tie breaker could be a coin flip?

Another idea for future ties: Would giving people the choice of voting for more than one card help to avoid tie breakers?
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:55:37 PM by Cw0rk »

November 13, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
    Reply #12

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
    I love it. I never would've thought to stack eliminators, but it fits with LotR rules and it helps mitigate all the things we care about.

I'm on board with that flowchart of elimination until we play it out and hit a snag.

A second-round of votes could work as well.

Heh. Maybe we could implement Ranked Choice voting somehow?

November 13, 2020, 05:14:59 PM
    Reply #13

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    « Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:14:59 PM »
    Another option for this one, instead of a coin... if the floating vote for Saruman goes away, you may ask Legion to chosse between Golasgil and Balcony.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 05:42:09 PM by Cw0rk »

November 13, 2020, 06:16:19 PM
    Reply #14

Legion

• Information Offline
    • Horseman
    « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 06:16:19 PM »
    I would suggest the second tie-breaker should be that everyone in contention votes for themselves. That would also eliminate those who voted for themselves, and encourages everyone to vote.

Or include second votes. That works.

I'm a little torn, Cw0rk, about being given the deciding vote, since one of the cards was mine. I think if it really is up to me to decide, I would go Balcony, as it genuinely was my favourite card from the six, (though Saruman was also right up there in my opinion and I don't like voting for mine in general), and I genuinely consider Golasagil in sixth place (still a good card, but this was a really strong week).

And now that I have probably broken the rules and revealed Balcony to be mine, I can reply to your earlier comment: my Regroup action did not allow for the discard of a Dunland Man as I felt that was a double whammy with Freca, especially given what Dunland can do with two sites.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:36:52 PM by Legion »

November 13, 2020, 07:07:15 PM
    Reply #15

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 07:07:15 PM »
    Golasgil, Lord of Anfalas: It's a matter of personal preference, but I don't find one-time use companion gametext to be a particularly compelling archetype.

Isildur, Master of Mortal Men: The ‘out of play' element feels unnecessary here; simply discarding would result in materially the same result without creating a second discard pile. Additionally, the regroup ability encourages twilight denial via playing cards outside of the fellowship phase and there is potential for abuse with discarding and recalling companions later as needed.

Balcony of Orthanc: As Legion alludes to, it's primarily a win-more card for strategies that don't necessarily need one, but still an interesting idea. I was between this one and Saruman for my vote.

Saruman, Lord of Industry: There's probably too much going on here at once and I think the result is ultimately too powerful, but there were elements of this that were intriguing enough to get my vote.

Servants of the White Hand: My initial thought is that the ability is too powerful for the cost (especially given that it's a support area card). It seems to sit above the power curve compared to other cards that provide damage bonuses to Uruks such as Lurtz's Battle Cry, We Are the Fighting Uruk-hai, and Battering Ram.

I voted for Saruman, but it was essentially even between him and Balcony of Orthanc. I'm fine changing my vote to break the tie.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:14:07 PM by Inspire »