LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Frodo signet wounding  (Read 940 times)

February 27, 2022, 03:08:01 PM
Read 940 times

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Frodo signet wounding
« on: February 27, 2022, 03:08:01 PM »
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
Ring: The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles

Adventure deck:
Steps of Edoras
Rohirrim Camp
The Dimholt
Osgiliath Fallen
Crashed Gate
Minas Tirith First Circle
Pelennor Grassland
Northern Ithilien
Dagorlad

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Smeagol, Always Helps
1x Boromir, Son of Denethor
1x Merry, Friend to Sam

1x Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar
1x Faramir, Wizard's Pupil

2x Bilbo, Well-spoken Gentlehobbit

1x Hobbit Sword
1x Red Book of Westmarch
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom

2x Don't Follow the Lights
2x Not Listening
4x Mind Your Own Affairs
2x Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom
2x Unheeded
2x Don't Look at Them

1x We Hates Them
4x Gondor Bowmen
3x A Light in His Mind
4x The Shire Countryside
1x The Tale of the Great Ring

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Gollum, Old Villain
1x Gollum, Plotting Deceiver
1x Shelob, Her Ladyship
4x Dunlending Rampager
4x Dunlending Renegade
3x Wild Men of the Hills
1x Mumak Chieftain
1x Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
1x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul

4x Hides
1x Mumakil

4x Captured by the Ring
1x Hobbitses Are Dead

4x Evil-smelling Fens
1x Let Her Deal With Them
3x Constantly Threatening

This is a really scrappy little direct wounding Freeps deck without any of the usual suspects, but I'm not quite happy with it yet. It's based on a real old deck by smeagollum, but I tore out a bunch of stuff to fit in another strategy. Originally it was initiative abuse, starting Merry, Friend to Sam / Pippin, WOBAS / Sam, Resolute Halfling and using Birthday Present, but that was rickety, very vulnerable to getting key pieces removed or clogging my draws with stuff that wasn't wounding events, and tended to generate a lot more burdens. So I tore that out and replaced it with Well-spoken Gentlehobbit and some tales so I didn't get immediately killed by every Shadow that sets up a support area.

It needs more comps, and could possibly run a different starting composition.  As for extra comps, I could possibly another copy of Aragorn and/or Faramir, or idk what else I'd run. I'm really fine to just go with my starting dudes until about site 7 or so. I also don't love Wizard's Pupil but I don't feel like Faramir, Son of Denethor gets much work done in this deck either. I'd love to include Greenleaf but that would probably mean I'd need Shadowplay back to protect against various rainbow hate, plus he really wants his vitality tools to do work. (Having Shadowplay back might be nice to help with shotgun Enquea but I don't usually run that high on burdens unless I misplay or never see any A Light in his Mind. Most of the other wounding staples have the wrong signet, which is not a dealbreaker but would mean they'd definitely need their toys too. I'd also kind of like to fit in some PATHS, and that Birthday Present/Resolute Hobbit engine I was using, and oh yes perhaps it could also have a unicorn made of solid gold. I am still tinkering with it, and very open to advice.

Always Helps / We Hates Them is fun and funny but I'm not entirely sure it's good. It does mean I can pitch an extra comp early then grab it later if I need it. Maybe it'd just be better to have another comp but it does occasionally set up a double.

The Shadow is just whatever. It's a cycling Shadow that still kinda works if I feed all of the cards into a woodchipper, but it immediately stops working once my opponent realizes how to play around it. I might just ditch it for some [Raider] shadow with SOGD. idk, I'm open to advice.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 04:04:25 PM by Cease »

March 10, 2022, 11:35:35 PM
Reply #1

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Frodo signet wounding
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:35:35 PM »
Okay. I've played this deck some more. My current thoughts:

The deck is hilariously vulnerable to Grond. (Also Saruman's Power but basically nobody plays that.) I don't know what to do about this other than add Derufin (which aggravates my next problem) or rethink it from base principles, using someone like Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk. Maybe that might be an idea, and it'd get more mileage out of Faramir, Wizard's Pupil. Where am I gonna find space for Gandalf crap, though? idk!

The Gondor comps also tend to clog. This version of the deck can't really throw anyone under the bus without really feeling it. Maybe Boromir and Merry just take up too much space in the Fellowship, but then who's the alternative here? Friend to Sam, Greenleaf, and WOBAS? That's a terribly vulnerable starting lineup.

This deck is real sweaty. Any misplay turns a game into a fireball really fast. It'd be one thing if it were a really competitive deck, but right now it's not even in the ballpark. I'm tempted to scrap it as an incompete project, but I don't have another non-PC-playtest movie deck I really like as much right now.

That Shadow is trash garbage. What was I thinking? I'm now running pretty standard Morcs:

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Dark as Darkness
2x Morgul Skulker
4x Morgul Brute
4x Morgul Destroyer
1x Morgul Squealer
4x Morgul Whelp
3x Ulaire Cantea, Faster Than Winds
2x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Ulaire Lemenya, Assailing Minion
2x Ulaire Nelya, Ringwraith in Twilight
3x Ulaire Otsea, Thrall of the One

1x Ithil Stone

4x Captured by the Ring

3x Flung Into the Fray

Works pretty well. I don't love that it really, really has to commit to winning the game on tempo/pressure against any deck that can put up an unpumped 13 strength skirmisher, but bigger ringwraiths just get in the way of smooth effective swarms. I'm open to input on this, though.