LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: King Block Starters Balanced?  (Read 2595 times)

October 25, 2020, 12:21:14 PM
Read 2595 times

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
King Block Starters Balanced?
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
Are the Return of the King Starters (Aragorn and Eomer) balanced? I read the Siege of Gondor starters (which I have yet to collect) are a good matchup, but it that the paper version or the online version?

Playing a match with 2 (paper) Eomer king starters is a good battle. I used the LOTR TCG Wiki starter pack page starting companions instead of the rulebook ones. (wiki said Eomer and the one Eowyn, rulebook said Eomer and rohirrim guard and there are 3 guards). Followed the rulebook for starter deck games and determined who goes first randomly.  In the game I played recently it was a wild race, where I started second and doubled 3 times and my opponent doubled once early. My opponent doubled to site 3. I doubled to site 4 by discarding an Eomer to heal him and skipping the site 3 sanctuary. I doubled again to get ahead and doubled one more time to set up site 9 next turn. I had to use my events and Eomer's Pump ability carefully. I decided to race to the finish before my opponent could catch up after my opponent finally got Theoden and Gandalf out. I had them in my opening hand.

The hand destruction cards were relevant and I got lucky with the random card selection. I needed to draw through my entire deck to get my last Rohirrim Guard, my other two were killed by an Orc savage that was activated by my have at least 6 companions (7) so the savage was strength 18 and fierce. I also needed cards to getrid of Orcs that were exerted by my horses because even though my Wind in his Face took away a Siegecraft my opponent had another siegecraft to my all his orcs fierce. On the final turn I needed that Rohirrim guard to face a ton of orcs. Fortunately Frodo had a Hobbit sword (the wind in his face took a hobbit sword but I was holding two Hobbit Swords) and I had no threats, thanks to those guards dying and Frodo's threat removing ability. The orc that can give an orc strength +6 if the shadow player remove 2 threats was not active and I had 4 cards in hand and had initiative.  Frodo and his Sword faced the Orc Pursuer and the +6 Orc with a total of 11 strength to Frodo's 6 and took one wound and lived. I resolved Frodo's skirmish first. Knights of His House prevented siegecraft and the Orc savage did not show up. Orc Officer is dangerous with Orc savage if there are 6 or more companions. Horses can shut down the exert to add a threat orcs. The small amount of Hand destruction is relevant. Good battle. The reshuffle rule is relevant because Eomer, Riding Armor and Orc Brood have abilities that cost discarding 3 cards. Good battle.

How balanced are the Aragorn and Eeomer King Starters? I have the Aragorn one as well. And who starts for Aragorn? Wiki says Aragorn starts and rulebook says Targon and Madril, with all those tough orcs and only 2 Aragorns starting him makes sense. So Start Aragon vs Eomer and Eowyn. There is a post about king starters in King limited here https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=8974.0 It says Paper Aragorn can compete with Paper Eomer. When I played Aragorn vs Eomer I forgot who I started and my raiders were really tough for my opponent's companions to handle and I won. Are paper King Aragorn starter and paper King Eomer starters balanced?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 04:27:46 PM by elfwarrior »

November 27, 2020, 04:16:21 PM
Reply #1

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Eomer vs Eomer King Starters
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »
I have been testing the Aragon and Eomer King starters. Looks like a close battle but I think eomer has the advantage 1 -1 so far but some confusion with a hand in the second game with forgetting to do the hand destruction effect of Wind in his Face. And a mix up with the draw after the reshuffle but I think I got it close enough to see that Aragon does have a chance against Eomer. Both games went to site 9. Eomer went first both times. I played game one with an opponent. I played both sides of game two by myself. Anyone know how balanced the Eomer and Aragorn return of the King starters are? Otherwise I keep testing occasionally.

November 28, 2020, 11:41:14 AM
Reply #2

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: King Block Starters Balanced?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »
There is a discussion of King Block Starters in King Block Limited here: https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=8974.0
In this discussion, the paper Aragorn starter is said to be able to compete with the paper Eomer starter in King Block Limited, but are they somewhat balanced out of the box?

November 28, 2020, 04:03:12 PM
Reply #3

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: King Block Starters Balanced?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 04:03:12 PM »
I played another Eomer vs Aragoen King Block Starter game. I played Aragorn, went first, made it to site nine because I had to double to nine to try to win. I would have won it it wasn't for a siegecraft because I lost some companions in the regular skirmish phase. I also lost some two peoples events to Wind in his Face hand destruction. The Eomer deck has the advantage but maybe Aragorn has a chance. I only played the matchup three times and I do not play paper LOTR TCG nearly as much as I play online LOTR TCG on GEMP.