LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: All Help is prevented.  (Read 21351 times)

August 20, 2009, 05:25:02 AM
Read 21351 times

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • If you want him, come and claim him!
    • Elrohir wants some cards
All Help is prevented.
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:25:02 AM »
Imagine folowing situation:

Your fellowship is facing a Balrog, Demon of Might and about 10-15  [Moria] minions (Sneak, Runner, Backstabber, Crawler....).

You are at Cavern Entrance, on which a Saruman's Snows is played.

What can you do, to protect your fellowship?
You gave away your life's grace. I cannot protect you anymore.

August 20, 2009, 06:23:46 AM
Reply #1

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Re: All Help is prevented.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
At that point things look... very bad. Maybe preventive measures can be taken though, like discarding the all-important [Moria] conditions, and using [Moria]/Orc hate like Curse Their Foul Feet! and Song of Durin.

August 20, 2009, 07:33:17 AM
Reply #2

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »
Yeah, you're probably just in big trouble in that case. That's pretty close to a worst-case scenario. If your fellowship is big enough, you might be able to survive, but you're likely going to lose a few companions in the process.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 20, 2009, 08:02:31 AM
Reply #3

Enola

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »
Footman's Armor will protect your RB, but the rest of your fellowship will be in trouble  :-S,

August 20, 2009, 10:17:36 AM
Reply #4

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
ask the Valar to help you.....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 20, 2009, 11:13:31 AM
Reply #5

Zoskan

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
You're doomed! Surrender with your white flag...  ;D

Probably near to impossible to survive this scenario. However here's what I would like to have for fellowship for facing it:

RB: Boromir, Bearer of Council + The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Eowyn, Northwoman
Eomer, Northman + Firefoot (defender +1)
Theoden, The Renowned (spot Eowyn so he's defender +1)
Gimli, Lord of the Glittering Caves + Gimli's Battle Axe (can wound an Orc if he win his skirmish)
Legolas + Bow of the Galadhrim (can wound an Orc if he win his skirmish)
Aragorn, Heir to the Throne of Gondor  (defender +2 with his game text)
Faramir, Prince of Ithilien + any  [Gondor] possession (defender +1)
Garrison of Gondor (defender +1 if he spots a fortification)

In addition, one of the [Gondor] companion could have I Will Go and that's another defender +1 bonus if you have initiative. Of course some armor could be useful against the damage bonus of the backstabber. If there's at least 12 minions Gimli can even win the first skirmish against the Balrog if it's the only minion assign to him.

A very unlikely fellowship but I think it could survive this situation, but maybe not all companion will survive.

August 20, 2009, 12:40:45 PM
Reply #6

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »
Just Good, that Destroyers and Usurpers can not be played with Saruman's Snows in Austria.  :whistle:

If you have an Elrond, you could have luck, win, and discard the snows with Hadafang before other companions will die.
My Brother told me about Powerful Guide and brooding on tomorrow.

Very risky and very little chance...

Footman's Armor will protect your RB, but the rest of your fellowship will be in trouble  :-S,
The best solution so far, I think  =D>

You're doomed! Surrender with your white flag...  ;D

Probably near to impossible to survive this scenario. However here's what I would like to have for fellowship for facing it:

RB: Boromir, Bearer of Council + The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Eowyn, Northwoman
Eomer, Northman + Firefoot (defender +1)
Theoden, The Renowned (spot Eowyn so he's defender +1)
Gimli, Lord of the Glittering Caves + Gimli's Battle Axe (can wound an Orc if he win his skirmish)
Legolas + Bow of the Galadhrim (can wound an Orc if he win his skirmish)
Aragorn, Heir to the Throne of Gondor  (defender +2 with his game text)
Faramir, Prince of Ithilien + any  [Gondor] possession (defender +1)
Garrison of Gondor (defender +1 if he spots a fortification)

In addition, one of the [Gondor] companion could have I Will Go and that's another defender +1 bonus if you have initiative. Of course some armor could be useful against the damage bonus of the backstabber. If there's at least 12 minions Gimli can even win the first skirmish against the Balrog if it's the only minion assign to him.

A very unlikely fellowship but I think it could survive this situation, but maybe not all companion will survive.

Defender would work!  =D>
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:49:30 PM by Elrohir »

August 20, 2009, 01:07:31 PM
Reply #7

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:31 PM »
and what about the help of he Valar? They did it before :mrgreen:
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 20, 2009, 01:15:24 PM
Reply #8

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
Prevent such situation - discard  [Moria] conditions. Without Goblin Armories and Goblin Swarms they will never be able to play so many minions.

August 20, 2009, 02:06:44 PM
Reply #9

Kenddrick

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
Meh. Call in the Hosts of Valinor. Problem solved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Wrath

August 20, 2009, 05:10:45 PM
Reply #10

Kralik

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
Imagine folowing situation:

Your fellowship is facing a Balrog, Demon of Might and about 10-15  [Moria] minions (Sneak, Runner, Backstabber, Crawler....).

You are at Cavern Entrance, on which a Saruman's Snows is played.

What can you do, to protect your fellowship?

So in your hand at the start of Shadow, you had a Balrog, an [Isengard] minion, and Saruman's Snows. 5 cards left for [Moria]. Insane draws got you 10-15 minions? :P I'd like to hear HOW you'd get them (not saying it can't be done, but it would be interesting).

August 21, 2009, 03:36:30 AM
Reply #11

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 03:36:30 AM »
Goblin Swarms of course. That's why that card can not be allowed to stay on table.

August 21, 2009, 12:24:04 PM
Reply #12

macheteman

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
Goblin Swarms of course. That's why that card can not be allowed to stay on table.

Considering all of the other conditions in LotR, how do you think Goblin Swarms is the worst?
-wtk

he didn't say it was the worst, he said you can't let your opponent keep it on the table. discard it as soon as possible every time.

August 21, 2009, 05:03:13 PM
Reply #13

Kralik

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »

D'oh! XD Of course. :)

October 09, 2009, 06:47:26 PM
Reply #14

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 06:47:26 PM »
Step 1:  Play Traveled Leader to switch the site to Caras Galadhon.

Step 2:  Assign only the weakest minions to your companions.

Step 3:  Console your opponent, who is crying at the other side of the table.

Also, given the Moria minions you mentioned, Mithrandir, Mithrandir could do the trick.  =P

October 09, 2009, 06:55:12 PM
Reply #15

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
Pretty sure I've never actually seen it used.  =P

October 09, 2009, 06:59:52 PM
Reply #16

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 06:59:52 PM »
Well, if you're just looking for twilight tokens to spot for Gandalf, TWW (or any of his other cards, like Deep in Thought), there are better ways to get it than Mithrandir, Mithrandir.  Like, for example, Roll of Thunder!

Though I suppose if your deck is weak to swarm, you could put a copy or two of Mithrandir, Mithrandir in.  Especially if you're playing sets 1-10 and can use Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor -- that way, you can diversify which events you use and then pull back whichever ones are more useful in any given situation.

October 10, 2009, 07:42:03 AM
Reply #17

Elrohir

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 07:42:03 AM »
Maneuver Phase is skipped by Balrog: so no Traveled Leader, no Mithrandir, Mithrandir and so on.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:02:24 AM by Elrohir »

October 10, 2009, 10:18:32 AM
Reply #18

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
Whoops, I'd totally forgotten that he skips the maneuver phase.  Maybe 4x Shadowplay + 1x Unheeded to kill him off as he's played, then we get our maneuver phase back?  =P  Alternatively, Great Day, Great Hour + Unheeded.

October 13, 2009, 04:22:26 AM
Reply #19

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 04:22:26 AM »
Pretty easy. You have Isildur with Narsil, Hunters ring, a lot of gondor artifacts and coat of mail or footman's armor. Other than that a lot of defender + companions could help...

October 13, 2009, 08:58:02 AM
Reply #20

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 08:58:02 AM »
I still think the best solution is to kill the Balrog as he's played (as detailed in my earlier post), then just use Traveled Leader to swap in Caras Galadhon (or use Mithrandir, Mithrandir to kill most of the swarm).

Yes, this involves having a certain combination of cards in hand and in play, but there was no restriction placed on the fellowship player's resources in this scenario, and if the imaginary shadow player is allowed to have a Balrog and 15 minions, I think we can be allowed to have a few key events in hand.  =P

October 13, 2009, 10:11:32 AM
Reply #21

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
Pretty easy. You have Isildur with Narsil, Hunters ring, a lot of gondor artifacts and coat of mail or footman's armor. Other than that a lot of defender + companions could help...

First off, that's not "pretty easy." It is plausible, but not "easy."

If the maneuver phase is skipped, you are likely going to lose out on the ability to become defender +1 unless the character's game text allows him or her to be defender +1 (i.e., Aragorn, Heir to Elendil or Eomer with Firefoot). You can't use the Hunters ring if Cavern Entrance is played, or at least to my understanding.
-wtk

Right about cavern entrance, no hunters ring, so Isildur would have to use SaWtC (what is not that likely). Anyway i expect a big swarm only later on the game so it's pretty reliable you got narsil and an armor on him until there.

October 13, 2009, 11:56:24 AM
Reply #22

Pepin The Breve

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »
You can have Frodo, WotJ with a sword + SaWtC + Orc Armor + Sam, GEW with sword and Orc Armor with Bilbo, AR (also with sword) and Rosie in play. A few more companions would be nice also. To kill Frodo the shadow player would have to assign about 5 minions to him, he dies and pass the ring to Sam that could endure against 5-6 more orcs (assuming you have more hobbits in your fellowship and rosie). If you got some copies of A Promise thing get even better!

Gimli + SaWTC + Dwarven armor + Gimli's Battle Axe + Bracers + hand axe + Ring that makes him st + 1 for each ring at discard could do the trick also.

January 11, 2010, 10:44:08 AM
Reply #23

sharkey

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:49:05 AM by sharkey »

January 11, 2010, 10:47:07 AM
Reply #24

sharkey

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »
Oh, and get camera to record expression on opponent's face

February 10, 2010, 10:45:05 AM
Reply #25

Smeagollum

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
I think you should cover your cards.....

..before they become wet from crying...

Otherwise I hope you did what Pepin the brave sugested or you decided to play a hobbitdeck, which would become a mono hobbitdeck :mrgreen:

February 10, 2010, 11:29:23 AM
Reply #26

Smeagollum

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »
@ Sharkey: You can't use ARtH...

There is no manuever
There is no archery
There is The Balrog, Demon of Might.....
With a Saruman Snows and a cavern entrace
There is no help... If comps are not already defender +1 before the maneuverphase at least one of them probably become defender +many and probably it will be your rb and if that's Frodo, the other one who becomes defender +many will be Sam.. And if just one of them survive, well there's another round......, because he will stack his moria minions.
WB Moria ;)

March 10, 2010, 12:14:43 AM
Reply #27

Lisum

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »
   Hello gentlemen.  First thing I should say is that even though this is my first post, I have been playing since Return of the King came out.  I only stopped because my playgroup spontaneously died out.  I just recently found you guys, and I love it.
   I apologize in advance about the length of this post, but I have been puzzling over this all day, and I wanted to share my solutions.  For this scenario, I assume a standard 15 minion Moria swarm consisting of:

4x goblin runner
4x goblin backstabber, all bearing a goblin scimitar
4x goblin scavengers
3x goblin wallcrawler
for a total of 104 strength, 121 including the Balrog.

My first thought was footman's armor.  However, this turned out to be way too easy (he can survive all of the minions by himself with 4 copies of every fortification in play).  I decided to make this harder.  A lot harder.

1)   Maximum of 5 companions.
2)   No defender +1 companions.
3)   No footman's armor.
4)   No companions are killed.
5)   Try to avoid overly cheesy things like 4x Stern Words on the ring bearer.

I assume the shadow player has perfect knowledge and that they do not simply try to kill some other companion.  My strategy then became to force the shadow player to make unassigned minions not fight the ring-bearer, creating pseudo defender +1 companions.

Fellowship:
Isildur, BoHThe One Ring, RoR
-Coat of Mail, Narsil, BotF (+6 from artifacts), Bow of Minas Tirith, Flaming Brand.

Arwen, Lady Undomiel
-Hadafang, Arwen's Bow, Arwen's Dagger, Asfaloth, Elven Steed, 3x elven allies with home site 3, Glimpse of Fate.

Duinhir, TMoBV
-Gondorian Blade, Bow of Minas Tirith.

Merry, FOtB with hobbit sword.

Smeagol, Always Helps
-2x Poor Wretch, 4x There is Another Way.

In hand: 2x PAtHS, Don't Follow the Lights, Unheeded.

Assign the Balrog to Smeagol, add two threats to exhaust, kill him with unheeded, lose initiative, and make a str 8 minion -4 with GoF.  Now assign the strength 4 minion to Arwen, and strength 8 minions to everyone else.
   Here's the biggie: the shadow player cannot let Arwen win, because then Hadafang would discard the Snows, and we could play PAtHS to easily survive.  However, she is now skirmishing a str 1 minion, and the minion needs +11 to win.  This cannot come from 2 minions, so three more must be assigned to Arwen: one more str 8, a backstabber, and a runner.  Likewise, Smeagol and Duinhir cannot win, as their abilities would discard minions killing the ring-bearer.  So a runner must be assigned to each skirmish.  This leaves 42 strength on Isildur, which is not enough to overwhelm him!  The killing wounds can be prevented with Sapling of the White Tree, Hosts of the Last Alliance, or even left over salves.  Note that if one of those backstabbers did not have a scimitar, the flaming brand would not be necessary, as the minions have exactly enough to kill Isildur without the brand.  
   You can also replace Isildur with Sam, BoGN and the Merry with Rosie Cotton, BM.  However, you would then need a couple of confronting the eyes to draw more minions from Sam (as well as SaWtC, O Elbereth, Little Golden Flower, and some more equipment for Duinhir).

Also, sorry that this deck is not actually Austrian.  I just had to post it.

TL;DR:  I love puzzles.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:50:35 AM by Lisum »