LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Isengard Wounding (Shadow)  (Read 13675 times)

January 26, 2010, 02:15:44 PM
Read 13675 times

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Isengard Wounding (Shadow)
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »
This is a deck I'm quite new to, so advice is very welcome. I've used it once so far, and it worked very well. My brother was using an ent deck with loads of vitality, but no real healing. Perfect. 8-)

Total: 35

Orc Commander x2
Orc Overseer
Isengard Mechanics
Isengard Retainer x4
Isengard Servant x3
Isengard Worker x4
Isengard Warrior x2
Isengard Smith
Isengard Shaman x4
Isengard Axe x4
Servants to Saruman x4
Fires and Foul Fumes
Saruman, Master of Foul Folk
Spies of Saruman
Saruman's Snows x2

January 26, 2010, 09:50:06 PM
Reply #1

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Isengard Wounding (Shadow)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
It looks alright even though I usually play Izzy Orcs differently. However you must add Ulaire Enquea and Saruman's Power.

January 27, 2010, 12:24:55 AM
Reply #2

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:24:55 AM »
Wizard storm if you can fit it in there
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

January 27, 2010, 04:41:39 AM
Reply #3

Smeagollum

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:41:39 AM »
Another Orc Commander, maybe some Trapped and Alone and another warior and some extra smith's. don't think you need servants to saruman. Also maybe a Bill ferny (against alternat rb and otherwise as pump.

January 27, 2010, 05:58:14 AM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
Also maybe a Bill ferny (against alternat rb and otherwise as pump.
You don't have to worry about Alternate Ring-Bearers in Towers Standard Format. I would much rather pay [2] to play an extra Orc than Ferny.

Servants to Saruman is relatively useless. Smeagollum is right--Trapped and Alone is a necessity; [Rohan] will eat you up otherwise.

I like some Isengard Scout Troop and Banner of Isengard, personally.

Why would you use Saruman, Master of Foul Folk? How is he going to be helpful if you are discarding all of your [Isengard] Orcs each turn?

I would much rather see Orc Commander than Orc Overseer. I also think that Isengard Mechanics are a waste and few Isengard Plodder would be a better call.

Basically, in Towers Block, you have to come up with a perfect combination of Regroup Exert-Wounding and Regroup Discard-Wounding [Isengard] Orcs...I think the ratio is well established as about 2/3 Exert-Wounding and the remaining of the discard variety.

I like a copy or two of Abandoning Reason for Madness in there as well. Make sure Cavern Entrance is your site 7!
-wtk

January 27, 2010, 06:47:14 AM
Reply #5

Smeagollum

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:14 AM »
Also maybe a Bill ferny (against alternat rb and otherwise as pump.
You don't have to worry about Alternate Ring-Bearers in Towers Standard Format. I would much rather pay [2] to play an extra Orc than Ferny.

Didn't saw the format  :-S

Why would you use Saruman, Master of Foul Folk? How is he going to be helpful if you are discarding all of your [Isengard] Orcs each turn?
Depends... if he doesn't use discard orcs then it's okay to se it, otherwise not. Personally I would go for the assign Saruman.

Basically, in Towers Block, you have to come up with a perfect combination of Regroup Exert-Wounding and Regroup Discard-Wounding [Isengard] Orcs...I think the ratio is well established as about 2/3 Exert-Wounding and the remaining of the discard variety.

I like a copy or two of Abandoning Reason for Madness in there as well. Make sure Cavern Entrance is your site 7!
-wtk

I agree on that... By the way I would keep in 1 mechanics: Usefull against 6+ companions.
Also don't think you really need the anti-archery conditions: rather some extra minions. This condition cost 2 and you've got to exert for it. The cost is to high in my opinion.

Maybe a tower of orthanc to get an option on some more twillight. I like Isengard wounding orcs but thing what I dislike about them is that they cost so much. getting more twillight could be nice so to say.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:01:45 AM by Smeagollum »

January 27, 2010, 10:42:46 AM
Reply #6

Kralik

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »
I think the Trees are Strong is very handy here because it wounds X companions (vs. discarding Orcs which wound one at a time). This can often kill a companion or two.

January 27, 2010, 11:18:45 AM
Reply #7

Gerontius

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »
I was hoping to put in The Trees are Strong, but I can't get my hands on any yet. I am still not sure how to incorporate the newer discarding orcs. Should I be adding cards like Gnawing Hacking Biting Burning?

Maybe a tower of orthanc to get an option on some more twillight. I like Isengard wounding orcs but thing what I dislike about them is that they cost so much. getting more twillight could be nice so to say.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that card.
Servants to Saruman is relatively useless. Smeagollum is right--Trapped and Alone is a necessity; [Rohan] will eat you up otherwise.

I would much rather see Orc Commander than Orc Overseer. I also think that Isengard Mechanics are a waste and few Isengard Plodder would be a better call.
-wtk
-So far, Servants of Saruman has helped me win key skirmishes. You are right though, [Rohan] will tear this deck to pieces. I really think this build would be better in fellowship, but I need a Towers Standard deck.

-Really, I don't discard my orcs in regroup, unless Mechanics are out. Anyway, he is still useful for grabbing Isengard Axes. I might take him out yet, though.

-I think the Overseer is fairly on par with the Commander. However, it doesn't matter as I don't have another Commander.

I think it would be quite useful to add Shotgun Enquea and Saruman, Servant of Sauron.

January 27, 2010, 12:08:41 PM
Reply #8

Smeagollum

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
Rather have a minion for it... Can also win a skirmish and give more pressure to a defending fellowship.

January 27, 2010, 12:42:07 PM
Reply #9

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
With [Isengard] Orcs, you have to be conservative with the Twilight Costs, like I said earlier.

One of the key differences between Towers Block and Towers Standard is that most people in Towers Standard do not go over the five companion threshold (due to Shotgun Enquea and Greed being brought back into the scenario) whereas Towers Block is all about playing a bunch of fodder companions with your big guys (Southron Veterans? Southron Commander? No big deal!)

That said, I think you would be best off organizing your deck by twilight cost to pick your minions. Like I said, in my opinion, you would be best off with three Orc Commander and three Saruman, Servant of the Eye. So let's do this:

[6]: Orc Commander x3
[5]:
[4]: Saruman, Servant of the Eye x3
[3]:
[2]:
[1]:

Now, important conditions include Trapped and Alone and a copy or two of Wizard's Storm. So at two copies each, we are at 10 cards and those are both conditions that cost twilight. Add your four Isengard Axes and we are at 14 cards. Anyways, since you will only generate so much twilight with the four Isengard Axes, we need relatively cheaper Isengard Orcs for potential swarm and regroup wounding.

[5]:
[3]:
[2]:
[1]: Isengard Shaman x4

I see Isengard Shaman as the only guy in the Shadow who shouldn't have some clause associated with wounding as a Regroup action. He is great when you have some extra twilight.

[5]:
[3]: Isengard Warrior x2
[2]:

Isengard Warrior will help for a turn or two against directed archery...save him for the important turns like five or seven (Cavern Entrance!)

[5]:
[4]: Saruman, Servant of the Eye x3, Isengard Smith x2
[2]:

Isengard Smith is actually a bit more helpful in this deck than Shotgun Enquea is. One copy and Isengard Shaman out there with some extra pool will get rid of all of those annoying Sting, Horse of Rohan, Sword of Gondor, etc. You just have to make sure you can keep his vitality up.

[5]:
[2]:

Isengard Warrior will help for a turn or two against directed archery...save him for the important turns like five or seven (Cavern Entrance!)

[5]:
[4]: Saruman, Servant of the Eye x3, Isengard Smith x2
[3]: Isengard Warrior x2, Isengard Servant x4
[2]: Isengard Journeyman x4

I find Isengard Servant to be the best value as a minion--mid-level cost, high vitality (relatively) and an average strength for Towers Block. Using Saruman, Servant of the Eye you should be able to let this guy win skirmishes.

That's 22 minions, plus our four conditions and four weapons we mentioned. So to round out the deck, two copies of The Trees Are Strong and one copy of Fire and Foul Fumes can be a nasty surprise.

34 cards seems to be a good number to run with these guys, but if you want to add a few more minions, add 2 minions per one copy of Abandoning Reason for Madness you add. Assuming a larger deck than 34-34, Abandoning Reason for Madness can be great for cycling.
-wtk

January 27, 2010, 01:48:40 PM
Reply #10

Smeagollum

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
One of the key differences between Towers Block and Towers Standard is that most people in Towers Standard do not go over the five companion threshold (due to Shotgun Enquea and Greed being brought back into the scenario) whereas Towers Block is all about playing a bunch of fodder companions with your big guys (Southron Veterans? Southron Commander? No big deal!)

You do remember which deck won the worlds back those days, right? That was a deck with mass companions. So your statement that people will not play 5 comps doesn't hold. Like your deck though;) Still I would put in one mechanics for fun. Then one weapon less in my opinion. And I'm not that a fan of the trees are strong. I played a lot with isengard wounding orcs and that card was never usefull enough. And maybe it's better to combine it with archery....

January 27, 2010, 02:54:40 PM
Reply #11

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
You do remember which deck won the worlds back those days, right? That was a deck with mass companions. So your statement that people will not play 5 comps doesn't hold.

I did not say that people never go over the five companion threshold. What I did say is that it is uncommon in Towers Standard. Sure, if you are running a few copies of Baruk Khazad and some Might of Numenor then it is no big deal to go over the five companion threshold. But keep in mind the block we are talking about (Towers Standard) and the relative threats versus maneuver wound prevention in the block.

Anyways, the deck that won World when Towers was "Standard" did not run 9 companions at a time, if I remember correctly. I think it played two Lorien Swordsman at site 7 to survive the final double move.

Finally, The Trees Are Strong is fantastic. It really hurts the opponent who decides to stack a few wounds on unbound Hobbits with the thought of discarding them the next turn. Discard four Orcs and wound four different companions? How can you argue with production like that? Easy way to kill exhausted companions.
-wtk

January 27, 2010, 10:37:58 PM
Reply #12

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
I think ket loves having abandoning reason for madness in his isengard decks as much as I put Sam, SoH in all my fellowships.

January 28, 2010, 02:53:03 AM
Reply #13

Smeagollum

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:53:03 AM »
You do remember which deck won the worlds back those days, right? That was a deck with mass companions. So your statement that people will not play 5 comps doesn't hold.

I did not say that people never go over the five companion threshold. What I did say is that it is uncommon in Towers Standard. Sure, if you are running a few copies of Baruk Khazad and some Might of Numenor then it is no big deal to go over the five companion threshold. But keep in mind the block we are talking about (Towers Standard) and the relative threats versus maneuver wound prevention in the block.

Anyways, the deck that won World when Towers was "Standard" did not run 9 companions at a time, if I remember correctly. I think it played two Lorien Swordsman at site 7 to survive the final double move.

Finally, The Trees Are Strong is fantastic. It really hurts the opponent who decides to stack a few wounds on unbound Hobbits with the thought of discarding them the next turn. Discard four Orcs and wound four different companions? How can you argue with production like that? Easy way to kill exhausted companions.
-wtk

If I remember correctly it was a 9 companion rainbowdeck (with smeagol, gandie, Arie, Eowyn, eomer, Sam, Boromir and either faramir or merry, Could be that there was an extra comp, but I do remember legolas in as well) with ninja gollum shadow and actually quite thick: 42/42. It might also have been the runner up... or a differnet tournament (could also be American continental).

Never got the trees are strong to work: Rather have an extra minion. Can fight and thus kill and afterwards it can wound and if you're lucky it can wound twice and if you discard it with one of the discarding orcs then another wound. That's much more then trees are strong usually do. I really prefer a minion. Still one copy of tas is always nice: In that case I would go to 35/35.

@c10ckw0rk: But Ket is right about this card in this deck; Nice for cycling and getting extra minions. Another problems with these orcs is that it will slow down your hand so this card is great in this deck. And 2 might be better!

January 28, 2010, 03:36:03 AM
Reply #14

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:03 AM »
The trees are strong is better in FotR block since the discard to wound orcs didn't come out until EoF
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

August 27, 2011, 12:19:44 PM
Reply #15

drj0000

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »
i liked the isengard tender a lot. I played scaffolding so that can help them survive obviosuly and also makes it easier to use such abilities as the isengard smith 's which is HUGE. main point of my deck was to get the tender stacked on scaffolding and then discard him off to exhaust frodo, then use the ability of isengard warrior to exert every companion!!?! sick devestating wounds. fun stuff. no archery with warrior as well is huge. so good. love him and the smith. and the tender... you just need to get him to surive till regroup as well as a discard orc.... isengard mechanics will do! assigning saruman all day too.