LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Time to get some new kind of Deck in here: NINJA FERNY!! (Shadow only)  (Read 16964 times)

February 01, 2010, 06:46:17 AM
Read 16964 times

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Well, I thought of building a Deck with the very powerful card Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman, meaningly using his ability to assign him to the Ring-Bearer and then just overwhelm him!

Shadow (32):

4x Bill Ferny, AoS
4x Courageous Easterling
4x Bold Easterling
4x Easterling Scout
4x Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings
4x Rapt Hillman
4x Chieftain of Dunland
4x Wandering Hillman

I know, this Deck seems a little Strange but it actually IS strong (and btw, also very expensive). Let me explain the strategy:

Drop Ferny as fast as possible and assign him to the Ring-Bearer if it's frodo, you won't have many problems with him. Now, let's say it's Frodo, you just play Courageous, Bold or Scout to play Ferny again every turn and assign him

Exact Strategy for Dummies:

Drop Ferny in the first/second move, same for CoD. Keep Rapt Hillman and Wandering Hillman in ypur hand.
After Ferny and CoD are in the discard pile, play some Easterlings and some Site-Control-Men, discard the Easterlings to play Ferny and CoD, push Ferny with CoD and assign Ferny to the Ring-Bearer. Overwhelm the Ring-Bearer.
GATS is here to destroy the oppopent's defence, he can also be "revived" with the Easterlings.
Repeat the strategy above again and again..

But there are three problems.

1. Frodo gets a Bonus from his ring or another weapon
2. Frodo can't be overwhelmed so simply
3. There can also be Faramir, BoQ

Well, cus' of the first and second problem, which will appear mostly, there's a plan B:

Use Rapt and Wandering Hillman to take control of a site and then drop Chieftain of Dunland. Pump Ferny with CoD and overwhelm the Ring-Bearer, pretty simple, uh?

As for the third problem, there is no problem! Every time you assign Ferny to skirmish Faramir, BoQ, you're opponent either has to add masses of Burdens or masses of Threats every turn, which can really hurt, especially with Wandering Hillman. And once you've killed anybody else, tons of Threats will trigger...

Well, that was it! Play Ferny every turn, assign, fight, fight and fight until the Ring-Bearer is dead.

February 01, 2010, 07:09:54 AM
Reply #1

Smeagollum

Re: Time to get some new Deck in here: NINJA FERNY!! (Shadow only)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:09:54 AM »
I don't think it's weird.. I'm only missing  pavise...

And you forget about Smeagol, Always Helps and other cards which could exert or wound a minion in the maneuver or acrchery or as response.

February 01, 2010, 07:29:08 AM
Reply #2

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
But I play Fernyduring Skirmish Phase mostly anyway, so there aren't so many cards in Hunters Block that can hurt him, then.

February 01, 2010, 08:16:29 AM
Reply #3

Smeagollum

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
But I play Fernyduring Skirmish Phase mostly anyway, so there aren't so many cards in Hunters Block that can hurt him, then.

Shadowplay can and you still forget about smeagol, ah

And Pavise is also usefull with MC, gats and it protects your rapt hillman
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:20:41 AM by Smeagollum »

February 01, 2010, 08:19:25 AM
Reply #4

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »

Smeagollum, Smeagollum, Smeagollum... you always forget.. this is Huters only!

Thinking of Pavise... what would you remove?

February 01, 2010, 08:27:03 AM
Reply #5

Smeagollum

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

Smeagollum, Smeagollum, Smeagollum... you always forget.. this is Huters only!

Thinking of Pavise... what would you remove?
:-[ Yup  :P  ;D Never look at in which category the topic is placed in, but besides that I think it's a good deck in standard as well ;)

It's 32 cards right. Well do you need all those easterlings? Maybe take 2 easterlings out and go to 33? Or just

3x Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings
3x Chieftain of Dunland
3x pavise

Otherwise you've got 12 unique minions which is also a lot and can slow down your hand.

Nice about this deck is that you can fo 2 ways with ferny. You can also use him to generate more twillight.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:37:14 AM by Smeagollum »

February 01, 2010, 10:34:25 AM
Reply #6

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »
I really need all the Easterlings and 4x CoD, and that's because I need a Ferny AND a CoD every turn, and to get them, I play them 4 times and I can get them back when playing all the Easterlings.
And to get control of all the Sites, I need Rapt Hillman and Wandering Hillman to make CoD more effective.
I'll post the exact strategy on the starting topic.

As for Standard, I would run:
4x CbtR
4x Sweeter meats
2x Incited
1x Gollum, Threatening Guide
1x Gollum, Skulker
(and maybe 2 other Gollums)
to push Ferny even more and prevent direct wounding.

...and Pavise of course.

February 01, 2010, 04:35:59 PM
Reply #7

Smeagollum

Re: Time to get some new kind of Deck in here: NINJA FERNY!! (Shadow only)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:35:59 PM »
hmmmm not sure if you need the cod that much, you still can get him back with one of those easterlings.. actually a pitty that none of the easterlings is a lurker, would have been great with Ferny.

But don't you think that having so manny unique cards (3/8 (if I'm correct) of your deck) is to much?
You could also go back to 2x mc, gats. Thing is it's such a nice card.... Always choises. Still I think you need 3x pavise. But just try it out and choose which works the best.

February 02, 2010, 02:02:58 AM
Reply #8

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:02:58 AM »
hmmmm not sure if you need the cod that much, you still can get him back with one of those easterlings.. actually a pitty that none of the easterlings is a lurker, would have been great with Ferny.

But don't you think that having so manny unique cards (3/8 (if I'm correct) of your deck) is to much?
You could also go back to 2x mc, gats. Thing is it's such a nice card.... Always choises. Still I think you need 3x pavise. But just try it out and choose which works the best.

Hunters Block Definiotion: Cards from sets 15, 17 and 18
Pavise: 11C94

Any other ideas?

February 02, 2010, 03:37:21 AM
Reply #9

Smeagollum

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:37:21 AM »

Hunters Block Definiotion: Cards from sets 15, 17 and 18
Pavise: 11C94

Any other ideas?

Play standard :D But seriously make it standard. I think it would be better in standard as ferny is good against alt rb, but not so against hobbits (to less twillight, which is a problem anyway).  Otherwise something to add twilight, like: Pursuing Horde.
What you do now in just hunters is that you want to play on sitecontrol with to less twillight.

First you need twillight to get sites and if you get the sites then they will not give you so much twillight that you can play and an easterling (+ Ferny) and a cod to make it workable. Let's say you control 4 sites (which will become difficult against hobbits). Your oponent will give you less twillight. So on sites 7-9 they will give you between 11 (minimum) and 15 twillight (max). Your trick cost at least 9. In that case you'll get at the most a 16 str ferny. Faramir will laugh about it when he's got a pump or when he has a str bonus from conditions or posessions. And if your opponent plays with hobbits they prob will play the hunter-ring, which will mean that frodo will become at least 6 from himself and the ring.. then plus a hobbitsword is 8 allready. Then just 1 or 2 followers which will grant at least + 3 strength. So he'll become 11. That won't be enough to overwhelm him with Ferny and if you overwhelm him there is still a Sam to kill. Not to mention other tricks with comps from other cultures (archery, or they just kill your cod). Actually mc, gats is more dangerous: Gives 2 exertions and combo him with Ferny you get an 18 str comp which will be able to kill a comp, but also there you won't get enough twillight to make it efficient enough, because then you won't control enough sites.

That's why I think it's better in standard. There you can use him against alt rb. and you can create more twillight if needed and otherwise it becomes a pump. And a mc, gats with a pavise makes sure the comps will get wounded enough. And if you go for sitecontrol Rapt Hillman with a pavise will give 3 sites. If you would play it with Ted Sandymen then you can get more strength on your minions then if you would use cod (and you'll get more minions on table as you need less twillight).

February 02, 2010, 05:09:26 AM
Reply #10

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:09:26 AM »
Yeah, that's another big problem: Pumps.
In Hunters there is no Pump event like Overrun which can make Ferny more effective, but on the other side, Standard is more about wounding, so Gollum with Incited and sweeter meats would be necessary in that Deck.

Another think that must be metioned is the phase trick I'm doing in here. See, in other TCGs like MtG or Yu-Gi-Oh, there are card types that you can play whenever you want. Not so in LotR, cus' here most cads are limited to just one phase. same goes for wounding abilities, most of them are actually Maneuver, Archery and Regroup wounding/removal. And that's why I go an idea to build a Deck where you throw in minions during the skirmish phase (and not before) where they are nearly untouchable, especially in Hunters Block, which is more about Archery wounding.
And that's why I got the name from; you throw in your best minions during the Skirmish Phase like assasines or like Ninjas to make their job.

(Btw, the biggest problem is to get these cards: 4x Ferny (100$) 4x GatS (120$) 4x CoD and all the others from Hunters and RoS...)

February 02, 2010, 05:12:36 AM
Reply #11

Smeagollum

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:36 AM »
In Hunters there is no Pump event like Overrun which can make Ferny more effective, but on the other side, Standard is more about wounding, so Gollum with Incited and sweeter meats would be necessary in that Deck.

Another think that must be metioned is the phase trick I'm doing in here. See, in other TCGs like MtG or Yu-Gi-Oh, there are card types that you can play whenever you want. Not so in LotR, cus' here most cads are limited to just one phase. same goes for wounding abilities, most of them are actually Maneuver, Archery and Regroup wounding/removal. And that's why I go an idea to build a Deck where you throw in minions during the skirmish phase (and not before) where they are nearly untouchable, especially in Hunters Block, which is more about Archery wounding.
And that's why I got the name from; you throw in your best minions during the Skirmish Phase like assasines or like Ninjas to make their job.

(Btw, the biggest problem is to get these cards: 4x Ferny (100$) 4x GatS (120$) 4x CoD and all the others from Hunters and RoS...)

Got 4x Ferny and 4x cod, but 0 gats :(

February 02, 2010, 05:13:35 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »

WTF; 4 Fernys!?! Are you willing to trade them??? ;)

February 02, 2010, 06:12:53 AM
Reply #13

Smeagollum

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »

WTF; 4 Fernys!?! Are you willing to trade them??? ;)

Nope... i'm afraid. They are essential for my wizard/assign minion deck. I had 5 first, but gave one to a friend.

Actually I did some ninjitsu for a bout 11/2 year when I was about 17 (23 years ago). Had training from Hans Hesselman, who was the first dutch ninja and one clinic from Bo Munthe (a swedish sensei: http://www.bujinkan-frankfurt.gmxhome.de/E_Bo_Munthe.htm). It's not that special to be honest. It's just martial arts. Big difference between them and samurai is that they don't behave on Bushido code.

But back to topic: Did you ever play evil men possesion (discard men in maneuver stack it on a possesion etc.)? That's real fun in combo with sitecontrol (you don't need cod) and Ted Sandy!

March 30, 2010, 08:09:33 AM
Reply #14

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »
I really like the deck. Maybe, what you can do is swap the site-control engine for stacking possessions and In the wild men's wake? And if you play with 4 ceremonial armors, you can discard them for damage bonuses.

Ferny's can be had for $10 easily at the moment.
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

March 30, 2010, 10:50:20 AM
Reply #15

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »
I really like the deck. Maybe, what you can do is swap the site-control engine for stacking possessions and In the wild men's wake? And if you play with 4 ceremonial armors, you can discard them for damage bonuses.

Ferny's can be had for $10 easily at the moment.

First, interesting idea. I'll think of it.

Secondly, where? I just bought 2 Fernys for about 17$ a piece.

March 30, 2010, 11:10:35 AM
Reply #16

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
on ebay.com there was one ferny that did not sell for $10 twice.
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

March 30, 2010, 12:39:02 PM
Reply #17

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
And I found 6 pieces for 12.99... time to get an ebayaccount and I'll buy them all, muahahaha.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...after my break.

July 19, 2010, 08:26:59 AM
Reply #18

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Play standard :D But seriously make it standard. I think it would be better in standard as ferny is good against alt rb, but not so against hobbits (to less twillight, which is a problem anyway). 

I'm gonna have to agree here, the deck is not competitive at all what with Ithilien Blade and [Elven] hunters running amok.

and bumpish kinda but I saw it and had to comment.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 06, 2011, 08:56:54 PM
Reply #19

Creator

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »
This is interesting. I tried it a few times. I'm still new to standard so maybe it's my lack of playing ability, but I feel like this shadow is unstable. I want it to work, I really do, because it's an awesome idea-- and I'm having no trouble getting Ferny on the ring-bearer-- but there aren't enough pumps for Ferny once he gets there. It's really hard to get him to win skirmishes. It takes too long to get enough sites under control to make the Chieftain useful, and it's absolutely useless against any kind of choke deck. I tried adding Overrun and Pavise and Whistling Death and made a few other changes so it's not so reliant on site-control, but it's just not happening. It needs some kind of heavy-duty pumping system for Ferny so that he's more reliable in skirmishes, and there aren't enough pump events for Evil Men.

It's a shame because I love this idea. I just think it needs something.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 08:58:30 PM by Creator »

August 07, 2011, 08:55:17 AM
Reply #20

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
This is what I came up with for Bill one day:

2x *Last Days (12U71)
2x Countless Companies (12U58)
4x Gathering Strength (12U66)
4x In the Wildman's Wake (17R45)
4x *Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman (15R72)
3x *The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor (12S73)
4x Sunland Scout (17R56)
4x Sunland Trooper (17C59)
4x Sunland Warrior (17C60)
4x Wildman's Oath (17C66)

Get at least 1 wildman's oath out and stack all your minions on them. Get hold of Bill and a few wildman's wakes and wait till you can unleash him, maybe even with last days so you can get passed ugly wounding/exerting decks. You can lauch him at the site where you can exert him to give him damage bonus, but then you should add Pavise. That is a good laugh.
Concerning site control, also not that difficult:

1x Countless Companies (12U58)
1x Rapid Reload (15U89)
4x *Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul (10R88)
4x *The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor (12S73)
4x Archer of Harad (11U67)
4x Engrossed Hillman (15U78)
4x Rapt Hillman (15U90)
4x Swarthy Hillman (15C93)
4x White Hand Invader (17C128)
4x Pavise (11C94)

Rapt Hillman with Pavise and you are good to go.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 08, 2011, 07:20:28 AM
Reply #21

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Yeah, site control can actually get pretty sick. With the lack of cultural enforcement running amok with White Hand Invader and Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul, that is.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan