LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Man and Monster: Eowyn/Easterling Captain  (Read 7047 times)

October 04, 2012, 10:41:53 AM
Read 7047 times

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Man and Monster: Eowyn/Easterling Captain
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
9R+4Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
9R+1The One Ring, The Binding Ring

Adventure Deck
1 11S243 Harrowdale
2 12U194 Wold Battlefield
3 11S259 Stables
4 13S191 Fords of Isen
5 11S237 Ettenmoors
6 11S254 Pelennor Flat
7 11S249 Neekerbreekers' Bog
8 13S192 The Great Gates
9 11S234 Crags of Emyn Muil

Free Peoples Draw Deck
2x 9R+7Ring of Fury
1x 1C8 Dwarven Armor
1x 2U3 Dwarven Bracers
1x 2C10 Hand Axe
2x 4R41Axe of Erebor
1x 1R15Gimli's Helm
2x 12U12Proud and Able
3x 8R3 Blood Runs Chill
4x 10R1 Great Day, Great Hour
1x 10R72Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
3x 7R239Leowyn
1x 7R230Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade
1x 8R88Eowyn's Shield
1x 4U263Brego
1x 5R89 Rohirrim Helm
2x 11U151 Riddermark Javelin
1x 12R111 Coif
1x 5U80Arrow-slits
2x 11R158 Sword Rack
4x 12C114 For the Mark

Shadow Draw Deck
4x 4R225Easterling Captain
4x 6U79 Easterling Polearm
2x 7C156 Raider Halberd
3x 8R65 Ships of Great Draught
1x 4R237Ithilien Wilderness
4x 7R159 Small Hope
1x 10C52Under Foot
3x 7R169 Surging Up
3x 4R223 Discovered
3x 4R259 Vision From Afar
3x 7U157 Red Wrath
4x 4R261 Wrath of Harad

35 cards each side, I think this should cycle quite well (Leowyn and Ships of Great Draught), maybe even some cards should be added (but there aren't many useful cards for this shadow side).

Man and Monster format is 100% about playing one big minion and one big minion is precisely what Lady of Ithilien likes. The plan is: exert the minion as much as possible (Great Day, Great Hour is the most important card), kill it with Eowyn, move again, kill again, stop and heal with Leowyn. Mirror matchup should be hardest to beat, as Easterling Polearm prevents all wounds, that's why there's Arrow-slits and For the Mark in the deck (Eowyn's Shield is also a way around Polearm). I was thinking about another version of this deck - using Galadriel as ring-bearer, The Splendor of Their Banners, 4x Double Shot and 4x Seclusion, but I think I like the version with Gimli more.

Shadow side is a typical Easterling build with only difference being that Captain has to do the work by himself, so he gets some more support cards. Ships of Great Draught set up any combo you need.

October 04, 2012, 01:22:58 PM
Reply #1

Pepi

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Man and Monster: Eowyn/Easterling Captain
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »
One thing, tho ... Didn't you say you can't use ally/follower cards in this format? Or am I missing something?
EDIT: Sorry, I mistook you for menace. I thought you came up with this format. :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:53:22 PM by Pepi »

October 04, 2012, 03:40:05 PM
Reply #2

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
Allies and followers aren't allowed! But this looks super-sick, otherwise! Have you played it yet?

October 04, 2012, 08:52:01 PM
Reply #3

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
Oh well, forgot it. Thought it's just simple "one companion, one minion" rule.

If I can't use Leowyn, then I need other ways to heal Eowyn:
-3 Leowyn
-1 Arrow-slits (I can no longer spot 2 [Rohan] Men for it to work)
-1 Eowyn's Shield
-1 Dwarven Bracers
+3 Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien
+2 Rohirrim Shield
+1 Thundering Host

Also, after looking through newer cards:
-4 For the Mark
+4 Swift Stroke
There are not too many support area possessions, machines or engines that are playable in this format (I think only corsair ships) and avoiding the exertion is very good as you exert Eowyn a lot anyway.

----------------------
No allies rule destroys another idea I had - a deck with Gimli, BoG + Gandalf, LotC, with Elrond, HtGg in support area, abusing BRC and OOtHA and being able to triple thanks to Durin's Secret :) I feel FP sides are strong in this format and what I'm really looking for is a viable way to increase move limit. It seems there are 3 possibilities left:
- Radagast, The Brown (not the best companion, though maybe with new sets cards this could be possible,
- [Gondor] ring-bearer with Aragorn, Well-Traveled Guide and Last Throw,
- [Gondor] ring-bearer or Galadriel BoW with Eowyn LoI, two horses and Riding Like the Wind (hardest to pull off the move limit trick, but strongest deck, Galadriel can do a lot of archery that works with Eowyn)

October 04, 2012, 09:14:35 PM
Reply #4

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »
Since this isn't a "real" format or anything, take what I'm about to say with a whole mountain of salt: my intention with these kinds of decks was to use Frodo and another companion, not just any old ARB. Really though that'd be something to discuss with your opponent, but since this format already limits you so intensely, I suppose using alternates should be okay.

From what I've observed, Shadow has a massive advantage in most games. You can afford to make mistakes as a Shadow player, but as a Free Peoples player scurrying from site to site, one little slip-up can easily end the game. It's brutal.

October 08, 2012, 01:37:13 AM
Reply #5

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »
I have an idea of a deck using Frodo and one other companion in one copy. Still haven't decided on who is the best companion. But I really want to build a deck that will be able to kill the monster and double move.

The main card in the deck is A Dragon's Tale. The idea is to use it (and a few other tricks) to exhaust the minion and then finish him off with some direct wounding. The main problems I see are Easterling Captain and Demon of Might.

A way around Balrog could be just choke. It costs 14 twilight, so it should be possible to avoid at least most of the times. And this deck is good at choking - Frodo, RA helps, most tales cost 0. For Captain, things get harder as he's quite cheap, Easterling Polearm is free and Raider Bow generates twilight from ambush.

Another problem is Saruman's Power, but that's what Scouring of the Shire is for :)

My ideas for second companion:
- Aragorn, Well-travelled Guide. With all the bonuses he has for being the only companion, a natural choice. Strong, with good support cards. Should handle Demon of Might quite well. Only problem is that I see completely no way around Easterling Captain - can't discard Polearm, Spirit of the White Tree can be Discovered or discarded when Small Hope is used. Maybe it still is the best way to go - with Coat of Mail to survive and Unexpected Visitor to make the double that makes the difference.

- Faramir, Son of Denethor. Stops Captain quite well, but needs Armor against Balrog. The only way to kill Captain is using Unexpected Visitor.

- Eowyn, LoI - with Swift Stroke she kills Captain. But if Demon of Might is played underground, not a lot can be done.

- Tolman Cotton. Weak but gives access to Shadowplay and can stop Small Hope from adding burdens. PATHS is the main skirmish wounding card here.

October 08, 2012, 04:11:17 AM
Reply #6

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »
The main card in the deck is A Dragon's Tale. The idea is to use it (and a few other tricks) to exhaust the minion and then finish him off with some direct wounding. The main problems I see are Easterling Captain and Demon of Might.

Add to your list Enquea  TotO.

October 08, 2012, 05:47:00 AM
Reply #7

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »
Enquea TotO shouldn't be that much of a problem. It doesn't work against Faramir and with all other companions it should be possible to kill Enquea at latest in first skirmish action before it can use the ability. Supported by a really good hand of 2-3 All Blades Perish, it may do some damage, but recycling of those is not so easy so this won't happen too often.