LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Kamikaze Wraiths (only Freeps)  (Read 8843 times)

December 26, 2010, 06:12:27 PM
Read 8843 times

Abbott465

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Kamikaze Wraiths (only Freeps)
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »
Kamikaze Wraiths / 32 cards

RB Frodo Hope of the Free Peoples
One Ring Such a Weight to Carry

Sting Baggins Heirloom x1
Dead Man of Dunharrow x4
Duty of Two x4
Elendils Valor x4
Elessars Edict x4
Sleepless Dead x3
Stronger and More Terrible x3
Anduril Flame of the West x2
Aragorn Ranger of the North x1
Cursed of Erech x3
King of the Dead x1
Shadow Host x1
The Saga of Elendil x1

Ok so here is a fun little freeps I came up with which I call the Kamikaze Wraiths. The goal of the deck is to either Load up a Cursed of Erech with Defender +1's or use Elendils Valor on another wraith to load them up with Defender +1's then use Elessars Edict and discard them instead and making way for another Wraith. If there comes a time where you run out of Eddicts well you still have 7+ more comps to sacrifice (:

My playgroup also plays expanded so I would use Falls of Runos in this deck hehe.

What do you guys think?
Never had much hope. Just a Fools Hope.

December 26, 2010, 10:32:22 PM
Reply #1

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: Kamikaze Wraiths (only Freeps)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Something fun I like about the [Gondor] Wraiths is that they also have synergy with the Aragorn signet. Consequently, you can toss in Aragorn, King in Exile, and you have access to toys like At His Command (you'll have tons of threats out...trust me). And you're already packing the right Frodo. I'm also a fan of Oathbreaker over Dead Man of Dunharrow, because if you start two of those (I'm assuming you're starting two of these guys) you've got an exhausted starting fellowship with two threats down. Ouch. And then again, Oathbreaker's got the Gorn signet.

BTW....Spectral Sword. Must have. (0), +1 pump and an emergency save if something goes wrong.

If you make the changes I recommended, you can drop all your Duty of Two, because you've got KiE and Spectral Sword to cover you. :) Might consider dropping Elendil's Valor for End of the Game too. And if you run Oathbreakers and Spectral Swords, you can pack a some spare End of the Game as a "could be nice" and dump them if they're a problem. You can even take the deck up to 35/35 with it, depending on the Shadow.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:37:00 PM by SomeRandomDude »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

December 27, 2010, 08:23:55 AM
Reply #2

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
Nice idea, I like it. I guess you'll have a bit trouble against massive fierce minions such as Isengard Trackers or Nazgul, but nothing that can't be handled.

I don't see how you plan to use Duty of Two. 98% of the time you won't be able to add enough threats to even play the card, let alone have any use of it.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

December 27, 2010, 07:01:47 PM
Reply #3

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
Yeah duty of two won't really be usable.  Somerandomdude the advantage to having dead man of deadharrow is that they're ten strength when they come into play.  But yeah definitely use spectral sword and maybe a couple swept away?  Also make sure you pack a few more Gondor events in there that don't need men.  Also what's the site line cause those could make/end the game.

December 27, 2010, 10:37:51 PM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »
Yeah, they're 10 strength, which is fine for a later game drop, but do you really want to start the game with an exhausted fellowship? My brother played this deck for a while and I was frequently able to get off an early kill against Dead Man of Dunharrow as opposed to Oathbreaker. The 1 each thing didn't really work either.

One thing to watch out for with this deck is Shotgun Enquea. Threats abounding, a well-timed Enquea = 2-3 dead comps and a shot-up fellowship. Especially if you start out with exhausted comps.

I would just as soon let the fellowship acquire the wounds, as opposed to giving them out. It messes with your opponent as well, as suddenly they're not sure they want to win the skirmish. XD
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:40:17 PM by SomeRandomDude »

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

December 28, 2010, 12:31:29 PM
Reply #5

TheHobbit13

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
I agree with NB, an exhasted fellowship is not the way to go.

Swept Away is a must in this deck, (I would use at least 2) if you want to survive and form of archery. And if you cannot add a threat to keep it around simply discard it. Also you might want to consider Hearts raised for threat removal, if those threats blow you are in a lot of trouble(hopefully they will blow when you have swept away up). While your at it you might consider adding Aragorn Driven by Need, to remove even more threats. I like the deck though seems like it will be fun to play with. Bring it to Nationals and we will give it a test drive.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:35:41 PM by TheHobbit13 »

December 28, 2010, 12:53:28 PM
Reply #6

ilsant

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
Wouldn't Swept Away force you to assign the thread wounds to the non wraith companions (i.e. frodo)?

December 28, 2010, 01:02:37 PM
Reply #7

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:02:37 PM »
That's the problem with Swept Away, it works well with a response ring, but SAWTC is asking for sudden death on the RB.

Unless you run a way to emergency ditch initiative.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

December 28, 2010, 07:11:05 PM
Reply #8

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
If you play Bilbo as your Ring-Bearer and uses Consorting with Wizards, you can assign the threats nowhere.

December 28, 2010, 08:57:40 PM
Reply #9

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
Im confuzzled... how does Swept away force you to assign someone to a skirmish?  Or is this archery we're talking about

December 28, 2010, 10:45:19 PM
Reply #10

ununtrium

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
How about Aragorn, Driven by Need? He would profit from all the threats, but the fellowship could not be larger than 4, could it?
I am a Lieutenant Commander on the G.A.B. Saffron team. My trade lists:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/forums/index.php/topic,3255.0.html
http://www.tradecardsonline.com/user/ununtrium

December 29, 2010, 06:33:11 AM
Reply #11

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 06:33:11 AM »
What you could do is put in 4 swept away and two oathbreakers in the starting fellowship.  Then concentrate parts of the deck on heavy threat removal, and use Stronger and More Terrible to remove the threats added by swept away.  Also I would drop the duty of two but... Definitely drop one of the Cursed of Erech.  Also if you know of cards that remove threats you should probably add those.  Maybe add swordarm of the white tower combo?  or you could drop the elendil's valor.

December 29, 2010, 05:52:09 PM
Reply #12

TheHobbit13

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
Im confuzzled... how does Swept away force you to assign someone to a skirmish?  Or is this archery we're talking about

We are talking about threats blowing.

If you play Bilbo as your Ring-Bearer and uses Consorting with Wizards, you can assign the threats nowhere.

Nice catch.

December 29, 2010, 09:09:17 PM
Reply #13

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
Actually, I had a deck built around Bilbo/Wraiths once. It wasn't bad...unless they ran archery...at which point you were kinda hosed.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

December 30, 2010, 04:40:00 AM
Reply #14

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »
Actually, I had a deck built around Bilbo/Wraiths once. It wasn't bad...unless they ran archery...at which point you were kinda hosed.

I too had such a deck and it took me several painful defeats to learn from a stupid mistake - Don't play Swept Away if your opponent runs archery shadow. Since you are planning on making your wraiths

Back to the deck...
Swept Away is a great card for [Gondor] Wraiths, but your deck has a different strategy and I don't think you need it. You might go with Banner of the White Tree instead of Elendil's Valor. Your Wraith might actually survive, although in that case you could use a copy or two of Swept Away. For healing, Might of Numenor is one of the best cards and I'd go with few copies of that. Also, who are you starting with? If you are not starting with Aragorn, you don't really need 2 copies of Anduril, FotW. On that note, you might wanna switch to a more useful Aragorn, because you'll be making your wraiths defender + and then discard them with Elessar's Edict, but you can't do the same with Aragorn. I'd take Aragorn, CoG and switch Frodo to Isildur, BoH. Isildur is good to start with Oathbreaker because you can very often assign a weaker minion to Isildur and use his text to exert Oathbreakers. That way you'll have a strong Aragorn with healing capability and Aragorn signet. If you do make that change, you'll need some burden removal (a copy of Bane of all Corruption Decks would suffice) and some threat removal (Stronger and More Terrible might be ok, but Hearts Raised seems better since you are not planning on winning many skirmishes).

Trade List (TLHH)

December 30, 2010, 07:14:01 AM
Reply #15

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:01 AM »
Hrcho I see where you're coming from and it's a really good idea the problem is what's he gonna do for a starting then?  He could put Aragorn in or he could put the 2 oathbreakers in.  however due to the 4 pool starting rule he can't put both and that strategy sorta goes down the drain without Aragorn or without the oathbreakers.

December 30, 2010, 07:55:07 AM
Reply #16

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
    • My trade list
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 07:55:07 AM »
I see no strategy problem here. Start with Isildur and 2x Oathbreaker, remove 1 copy of Flame of the West and Ranger of the North and add 2 copies of Aragorn, CoG. That's enough for a good drawing chance and Aragorn is not that crucial to the strategy of the deck so 2 copies are enough. That way you don't even have to use up more card slots. Although some more change is required to add some burden and threat removal.

Trade List (TLHH)

January 03, 2011, 08:19:51 AM
Reply #17

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19:51 AM »
But there's a little grey signet there. A really, really awesome signet just waiting to be used. =(

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks