LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: V1: The One Ring (alpha playtests)  (Read 38821 times)

March 17, 2011, 12:03:02 PM
Reply #105

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
Re: V1: The One Ring (alpha playtests)
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Is the "and not wearing The One Ring" part necessary? Since the "While" line is a required action, the "about to take a wound" situation will be changed (if the Ring is on) before the optional response can be used.

March 17, 2011, 01:46:28 PM
Reply #106

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
Is the "and not wearing The One Ring" part necessary? Since the "While" line is a required action, the "about to take a wound" situation will be changed (if the Ring is on) before the optional response can be used.
Yes, I agree that's how it works. (There can be a "clarification" written somewhere if player's find it confusing.)  We can remove the unnecessary text before we finalize the V-set (unless people think it is needed).

Speaking of the V-set, can a moderator please open/unlock another discussion so we can continue discussing other card ideas, please.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:48:49 PM by Tbiesty »

March 17, 2011, 04:09:02 PM
Reply #107

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
I want to wait what Thranduil says about this version of the ring, and I havent spoken either. Lets not push things trough too quickly. There is a discussion on how much we should do at once and I want to await what others have to say about it.

March 17, 2011, 04:18:35 PM
Reply #108

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2011, 04:18:35 PM »
If people don't speak up, we can assume they have no input to provide.  Opening up and starting discussions for the other cards does not mean this discussion is closed.  Again, we are well capable of discussing more than one card at a time.

March 17, 2011, 04:20:20 PM
Reply #109

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
I think it has been shown that delaying one is delaying everything. As its been said, if there are issues, the development process will not end with a couple of playtests, it will be continuous.

I say let it continue. Let people comment on what they want to.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

March 18, 2011, 01:23:59 AM
Reply #110

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:59 AM »
Sorry, been busy. A few points:

@hyvee_doughboy: I think the progress is going well and working to a reasonable timetable. There's no reason to rush at all. But that said, I think we've had a good enough look at The One Ring for now and should start to look at something else (which, thought I haven't checked the forums closely enough yet, I believe we have!). We will probably come back to this.

@Playtesting: I like Kralik's suggestion! But I'm not sure we should do it now. Let's continue with some designer playtests for a few cards yet, then open out the Ring to the community.

@ES: Good point on the clarification text—I had missed that.

@The Ring: I love it! Looks great, clean and fun. And FM had some great ideas for the flavour and some great ideas for other rings (which I'm glad are now on the record, even if we don't use them now—as I said, we will come back to this at some point I'm sure). It's particularly interesting to me how discarding cards is not always a bad thing.

I think I've said what I wanted to say... Sorry for being slightly AWOL—once again the forum decided to stop sending me email notifications.

Thran

March 18, 2011, 02:43:53 AM
Reply #111

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:53 AM »
Sorry for being slightly AWOL—once again the forum decided to stop sending me email notifications.

Thran

Off topic: Whenever you receive a notification or two about new posts and you ignore them, the forum stops sending you notifications until you check those first posts out.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

March 18, 2011, 05:21:34 AM
Reply #112

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2011, 05:21:34 AM »
Sorry for being slightly AWOL—once again the forum decided to stop sending me email notifications.

Thran

Off topic: Whenever you receive a notification or two about new posts and you ignore them, the forum stops sending you notifications until you check those first posts out.
Aha! That might explain a certain amount then!

March 20, 2011, 01:40:06 PM
Reply #113

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
Because The Ruling Ring appears in every block, I'm assuming this errata would apply to all of those versions? Meaning we wouldn't see a different text for the ring in TTT or RotK versions? This seems implied, but I wanted to ask for sure.

March 20, 2011, 01:49:39 PM
Reply #114

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
Because The Ruling Ring appears in every block, I'm assuming this errata would apply to all of those versions? Meaning we wouldn't see a different text for the ring in TTT or RotK versions? This seems implied, but I wanted to ask for sure.

This is not an errata. It is a virtual version of The Ruling Ring
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

March 20, 2011, 01:59:17 PM
Reply #115

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2011, 01:59:17 PM »

This is not an errata. It is a virtual version of The Ruling Ring

Sorry. Yes. Virtual version. I got mixed up with the concept for a moment there.

But there will only be one virtual version? I can see where developing a comprehensive virtual version that can be used in all blocks may be tough. Since the card appears in every block, you have to design one that can be used in comprehensive formats (movie, standard, expanded, etc.) and block formats (FotR, TTT, King, etc.) without referencing abilities that are block specific (hunter, threats, initiative, etc.) in the game text.

March 20, 2011, 02:33:58 PM
Reply #116

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
Yes, there will only be 1 Ruling Ring (V), because each Ruling Ring in each set has the same card title, so it is only 1 card as far as the game is concerned.

Rings are the easiest to deal with the problems you raised, as they are so fundamental to the game to be fundamentally universal already. If you see our current version, it has no particular block themes (apart from the fact that it happens to work quite well with initiative).

Thran

March 20, 2011, 07:12:59 PM
Reply #117

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
Yes, there will only be 1 Ruling Ring (V), because each Ruling Ring in each set has the same card title, so it is only 1 card as far as the game is concerned.

Rings are the easiest to deal with the problems you raised, as they are so fundamental to the game to be fundamentally universal already. If you see our current version, it has no particular block themes (apart from the fact that it happens to work quite well with initiative).

Thran

Ah yes. I see it now. Seems solid.