LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Isengard Regroup Orcs  (Read 4023 times)

August 13, 2010, 07:43:22 AM
Read 4023 times

Aradrad

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Isengard Regroup Orcs
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:43:22 AM »
Alright, so I'm building a minion strategy that focuses on the Ents of Fangorn Isengard Orcs that discard in regroup phase to wound a companion.  So say for instance I had an Isengard Artisan, and an Isengard Tinker or 2, I could discard them in regroup phase to make the free people's player assign 3 wounds to his companions.  However, if I played The Trees are Strong from Realms of the Elf Lords, would that make it 6 wounds?  Similarly, since their gametext says to simply "discard" could that also be from hand?

Also, for the Isengard Builder, if he was stacked on Gnawing, Biting, Hacking, Burning, could I repeatedly discard him to add twilight in Regroup Phase?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:56:15 AM by Aradrad »

August 13, 2010, 07:59:16 AM
Reply #1

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Isengard Regroup Orcs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
As for the first question, no, you cannot discard them for The Trees are strong if you already discarded them. You cannot discard minions from your discard pile, otherwise you cold create an infinite loop with those. So you just have to decide if you wanna discard them with The Trees are strong or with their own ability, which doesn't make much a difference for me (at this example).

Same for Isengard Builder. Once he's in the discard pile, you cannot discard cards from there. They are already discarded. It's like if you wanna kill a dead person. Simply doesn't work. ;)

August 13, 2010, 08:10:03 AM
Reply #2

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »
When it says discard a card, it's always meant discard from play unless otherwise stated, like discard from hand.

So you just have to decide if you wanna discard them with The Trees are strong or with their own ability, which doesn't make much a difference for me (at this example).

The Trees are Strong can be very good if facing multiple companions and some of them are exhausted while others have full vitality. Using just the text from Isengard Artisan and such would make Free Peoples player assign wounds to those who can take them, but if you use The Trees are Strong and discard X orcs then Free Peoples Player must wound X companions and he may not have a choice but to wound an exhausted one, thus killing him.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

August 13, 2010, 08:14:46 AM
Reply #3

putridbreath

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:14:46 AM »
When it says discard a card, it's always meant discard from play unless otherwise stated, like discard from hand.

Minions stacked on cards (like your Isengard Builder on GBHB) are not considered "in play".

Props to hrcho and Witchkingx5 for being so quick!

August 13, 2010, 09:16:37 AM
Reply #4

Aradrad

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:37 AM »
Okay that makes sense.  But the text from Isengard Builder is a regroup action, and GBHB says that whenever a regroup action says to discard a companion, stack it here.  So I assume that the text here is not repeatable?

August 13, 2010, 10:09:40 AM
Reply #5

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
Okay that makes sense.  But the text from Isengard Builder is a regroup action, and GBHB says that whenever a regroup action says to discard a companion, stack it here.  So I assume that the text here is not repeatable?

The text of Gnawing, Biting, Hacking, Burning means when a regroup action discards an [Isengard] Orc "from play", stack it here.

BTW, I added clarifications for Gnawing, Biting, Hacking, Burning, Iron Fist of the Orc, and Scaffolding to the "Unofficial Rulebook" for future reference.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:27:06 AM by Tbiesty »

February 23, 2012, 10:38:33 AM
Reply #6

old_scabby

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »
Can an isengard orc who is alone discard himself to inflict a wound in the regroup phase? Does the game text work when he is discarded?

February 23, 2012, 10:40:18 AM
Reply #7

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »
Can an isengard orc who is alone discard himself to inflict a wound in the regroup phase? Does the game text work when he is discarded?
Yes. He can discard himself to inflict a wound.