LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 6991 times)

April 30, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
Read 6991 times

Kralik

Keywords
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
Keywords should now auto-link and bold themselves. The list so far includes things like:

Brooch, Box, Cloak, Gauntlets, Hand, Weapon, Helm, Mount, Palantir, Phial, Pipe, Ranged, Weapon, Ring, Shield, Staff, Support, Area, Aid, Archer, Enduring, Fierce, Lurker, Muster, Sanctuary, Ring-bearer, Unhasty, Balrog, Creature, Dwarf, Elf, Ent, Half-Troll, Hobbit, Maia, Man, Nazgul, Orc, Spider, Tree, Troll, Uruk-hai, Wizard, Wraith, Battleground, Besieger, Corsair, Dwelling, Easterling, Engine, Fellowship, Forest, Fortification, Knight, Machine, Marsh, Mountain, Plains, Pipeweed, Ranger, Ring-bound, River, Search, Southron, Spell, Stealth, Tale, Tentacle, Tracker, Twilight, Valiant, Villager, and Underground. Armor and Warg-Rider are cards and thus excluded.  :-k

"Numeric" keywords should do the same and link to a generic explanation of the term (sans number). This includes keywords like:

Damage +X, Defender +X, Ambush X, Hunter X, Toil X

Note that if you've already added links or bold, it will do nothing (Sorry Teltura! :P)

A few thoughts:

1) Are the "item class" keywords actually Loaded? Should they be bolded?
2) Are some of the items on the list actually keywords? Palantir, for example...
3) What other words should I add to the autolinker? Classes, Races, Cultures ...?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:08:34 AM by Kralik »

April 30, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »
Item classes are not loaded keywords, but I think they might technically be keywords (cf. Eowyn, Northwoman who does, confusingly, remove race from minions with her ability).

That said, I don't see why keywords that aren't bolded in text boxes ought to be bolded automatically in the wiki. And I do think the distinction between: items, shorthand (like "Event • Phase" and "Condition • Support Area"), races, cultures, terrain keywords, loaded keywords and unloaded keywords should all be clearly differentiated. Also it's worth noting something about being "mounted" in the mount section.

Palantír is as much of a keyword as any of the other item classes, thanks to Recovered Seeing Stone.

Now that all that is said, I don't really know anything about wikis and such! So sorry if what I said was a bit unhelpful/irrelevant. ;)

Thran

April 30, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
Item classes are, actually, loaded keywords.  I learned that myself today while reading the comprehensive guide under "loaded"...

...Card type and class (see bearer) are loaded keywords. ...

...had to come to grips with it myself (not to mention rearrange all my tables in the wiki).  I had always put item class as an unloaded keyword, but after I thought about it I decided it made sense...after all, a keyword is loaded if there's a rule associated with it, and item classes are limited to one per bearer.  Thus, loaded.

As to the issue with whether or not it should be bolded, I would do it as a matter of preference, but I can see the argument not to.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 30, 2012, 12:23:11 PM
Reply #3

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
Item classes are, actually, loaded keywords.  I learned that myself today while reading the comprehensive guide under "loaded"...

...Card type and class (see bearer) are loaded keywords. ...

...had to come to grips with it myself (not to mention rearrange all my tables in the wiki).  I had always put item class as an unloaded keyword, but after I thought about it I decided it made sense...after all, a keyword is loaded if there's a rule associated with it, and item classes are limited to one per bearer.  Thus, loaded.

As to the issue with whether or not it should be bolded, I would do it as a matter of preference, but I can see the argument not to.

Good point!

Thran

April 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Item classes are not loaded keywords, but I think they might technically be keywords (cf. Eowyn, Northwoman who does, confusingly, remove race from minions with her ability).

That said, I don't see why keywords that aren't bolded in text boxes ought to be bolded automatically in the wiki. And I do think the distinction between: items, shorthand (like "Event • Phase" and "Condition • Support Area"), races, cultures, terrain keywords, loaded keywords and unloaded keywords should all be clearly differentiated. Also it's worth noting something about being "mounted" in the mount section.

Palantír is as much of a keyword as any of the other item classes, thanks to Recovered Seeing Stone.

Now that all that is said, I don't really know anything about wikis and such! So sorry if what I said was a bit unhelpful/irrelevant. ;)

Thran

Ah, shows how much I am unfamiliar with sets 11+ -- I wasn't aware of Recovered Seeing Stone.

I'm not so sure that Eowyn, Northwoman removes race since her clarified game text says she removes keywords from game text only. But it would make sense now (with TelTura's reference) that she would work that way with her original text.

April 30, 2012, 12:49:09 PM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
OK, I tried to only bold keywords that are bolded in game text.

Let me know as you think of them of items to add to the autolinks. I'll be adding Cultures, Races and Item/Card types soon.

April 30, 2012, 12:55:02 PM
Reply #6

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

Ah, shows how much I am unfamiliar with sets 11+ -- I wasn't aware of Recovered Seeing Stone.

regardless, let me reintroduce you to our dear friend the Palantir of Orthanc.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

April 30, 2012, 01:05:53 PM
Reply #7

Kralik

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
Pffft, you win.

Meanwhile... "Box"?

April 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM
Reply #8

Kralik

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I added races and phases, tweaking a few things here and there.

You can use any of the following for phases:

Regroup
Regroup:
Regroup Phase

They will all link to Regroup Phase

April 30, 2012, 02:29:56 PM
Reply #9

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
I was unaware that hand was a keyword :P
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

April 30, 2012, 02:34:50 PM
Reply #10

Kralik

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »
Yup, it is!

OK, not really. The list above was incorrectly parsed and it should be "Hand Weapon" not Hand, Weapon. I already fixed it in the code.

April 30, 2012, 03:14:23 PM
Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
Pffft, you win.

Meanwhile... "Box"?

Salt from the Shire.

otherwise, looks good overall.  I'm burned out on wiki-ing for tonight, but tomorrow morning I'll give it a good stress test.

April 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM
Reply #12

Kralik

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Decipher should try to avoid one-card keywords...

May 01, 2012, 12:25:42 AM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
I can kinda see why they did it, but explicitly putting "limit one per bearer" would have done the same thing (although there isn't much space on the card)

May 01, 2012, 01:29:20 AM
Reply #14

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
it all seems to work pretty well; the one thing I can think of to change is to add X to the regex expression (since I assume that's how it works) on numeric keywords, so you can do Damage + X without it coming out as a wimpy Damage + X.

May 01, 2012, 05:28:16 AM
Reply #15

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 05:28:16 AM »
Another thing, the races Dwarf, Elf, Man, Orc, Uruk-hai, and Wraith should link to name_race, that is dwarf_race, elf_race, etc, being that they are both races and cultures.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:33:44 AM by TelTura »

May 01, 2012, 06:13:38 AM
Reply #16

Kralik

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »
it all seems to work pretty well; the one thing I can think of to change is to add X to the regex expression (since I assume that's how it works) on numeric keywords, so you can do Damage + X without it coming out as a wimpy Damage + X.

It already works that way.

Incidentally, it's Damage +X not Damage + X. But both work anyway.

May 01, 2012, 06:16:17 AM
Reply #17

Kralik

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 06:16:17 AM »
Another thing, the races Dwarf, Elf, Man, Orc, Uruk-hai, and Wraith should link to name_race, that is dwarf_race, elf_race, etc, being that they are both races and cultures.

I'm OK with leaving them as they are for simplicity's save. All of the cultures are xxx_culture and I tweaked the icons to link to xxx_culture as well. If [Dwarven] points to dwarf_culture, I don't think it's necessary to make Dwarf point to dwarf_race and therefore have no dwarf article at all.

May 01, 2012, 06:48:36 AM
Reply #18

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:36 AM »
I suppose that's fair enough.

It already works that way.

Incidentally, it's Damage +X not Damage + X. But both work anyway.

doesn't seem to work to me.  Check the table on the Keywords page.

May 01, 2012, 06:51:58 AM
Reply #19

Kralik

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 06:51:58 AM »
Ah, you meant literally X. It does, of course, work that way for actual numbers. I'll fix it.

May 01, 2012, 06:53:53 AM
Reply #20

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 06:53:53 AM »
sorry, yeah, I should have put x in quotes (add "X"). 

May 01, 2012, 06:54:57 AM
Reply #21

Kralik

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
Wait, you want it to link Damage + "X" now? OK...
* Kralik heads off to add quotes to the regex.

May 01, 2012, 07:01:19 AM
Reply #22

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
#$&*@! THIS HUMAN LANGUAGE WHY CAN'T WE SPEAK BINARY LIKE SENSIBLE PEOPLE

May 01, 2012, 07:01:58 AM
Reply #23

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:01:58 AM »
I think you have a space on one side of the Fellowship keyword...now I can't center justify it in the table.

May 01, 2012, 07:07:52 AM
Reply #24

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 07:07:52 AM »
also, does ! not escape for keywords?  This won't work at all without it, I think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:28:30 AM by TelTura »

May 01, 2012, 07:13:23 AM
Reply #25

Kralik

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 07:13:23 AM »
Fixed, fixed.

May 01, 2012, 07:38:11 AM
Reply #26

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:11 AM »
Beautiful.

Is there any reason that "character" is autolinking?  It's technically a card type, i suppose, but it would be better left alone.  I can see companion, ally, and minion autolinking, but not character.

May 01, 2012, 08:08:44 PM
Reply #27

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Also, the numeric + x keywords are linking to numeric_x instead of just numeric.

May 01, 2012, 09:31:08 PM
Reply #28

Kralik

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »
Also, the numeric + x keywords are linking to numeric_x instead of just numeric.

Actually, the autolink works, but using a manual {{Damage + X}} was giving the results you mentioned. It may be that I reverted some of your Keywords page. I tried to clean it up a bit, but I may have missed something.

May 02, 2012, 05:53:30 AM
Reply #29

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:30 AM »
Words that need to be removed from the autolinker or changed:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:12:42 AM by TelTura »

May 02, 2012, 06:15:46 AM
Reply #30

Kralik

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
* Character isn't autolinking for me, and I searched the code yesterday to make sure. Where are you seeing this?

* I'll replace "Type" with "Card Type." There should be a page on that.

* Shadow could be Shadow phase, player, alignment, etc. Maybe we can find a better way to deal with it instead of always linking to one or the other?

* Twilight is a keyword, is it not? There is a page for Twilight Cost and you'll see that if you click on twilight tokens like [1], twilight cost in the database like (1), or the twilight field in the database that they all take you there.

May 02, 2012, 06:23:36 AM
Reply #31

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 06:23:36 AM »
--I meant to go back and remove Character; I think it was linking at some point or something, but I realized it isn't now

--good

--If you think about how often it will be used in conversation, Shadow is almost always going to be referring to the Shadow alignment/player, both of which are linked enough to be lumped together under alignment.  We don't need a page on "opponent" (which is all "Shadow Player" would boil down to) any more than we need a page on "card", it's an instantly recognized part of the game.  "Shadow Phase" is always going to be used in that order, too, so I think it will take care of itself.

--Twilight is indeed a keyword, but I think in this case, what with the sheer number of times that "twilight pool" and "twilight tokens" are going to be referred to (especially in comparison to the relatively obscure Twilight Nazgul), it needs an exception to the default autolinking behavior. 

And I think I got sniped while editing, but I also added "side" and "Free Peoples" to my list, for comparable reasons to the above.

May 02, 2012, 06:37:23 AM
Reply #32

Kralik

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »
No one says Free People in regular conversation. It's always "Freeps." ;)

Let me think on this... at the least I want the entries in the card database to be clickable, but I can put those in by hand. Perhaps they could link to... Free Peoples player and Shadow player with a short explanation?

Does Twilight need a separate page for Twilight Cost vs. Twilight Pool or Twilight Tokens?

May 02, 2012, 06:47:04 AM
Reply #33

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
Twilight (Cost) will have sections for all three.  Pool contains Tokens generated by Cost, so I don't think even small explanatory articles are necessary (as there will be adequate explanation in the Cost article).

No one says "Free People", singular, which was my initial gripe; it needs to be plural (and actually, it will eventually link to Alignment#Free Peoples, I think, so maybe we can save ourselves a redirect).  When I said conversation, I think I misstepped, "article language" is more what I was aiming at.   

I'll have to mull over how best to represent the Free Peoples player and the Shadow player in the wiki...it doesn't seem to me that someone would have an issue with "Free Peoples Player" and type as much into the search bar...I think they would try "side switching", "turn rotation", or something of that ilk entirely unrelated to the wording of a player anyway.

I could be wrong.  It's probably going to be necessary to make those pages at some point anyway (with redirect or blurb), so that search works better.  I dunno.

May 02, 2012, 07:13:28 AM
Reply #34

Kralik

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 07:13:28 AM »
I'll fix "Free People" (not sure what I was thinking). The term "Alignment" isn't to be found anywhere in the comprehensive rulebook. Is there a better term we could use? I know it's technically correct, but in my head, the term that comes to mind is still "Side."

I'll see if I can make a context-sensitive link for Twilight. That was if someone writes "Twilight" followed by Naz* it can link to Twilight keyword. Nazgul will still link to its own, and Twilight can otherwise link to Twilight Cost or Twilight Pool. Let's pick whichever one sounds better for a parent article and stick with it.

May 02, 2012, 07:34:45 AM
Reply #35

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:45 AM »
I think the issue with using "side" becomes usages like "on the side of the card" or whatever, that will be linking to an entirely unrelated topic. 

You're right about Alignment not being a concept described in the Guide.  Decipher seems to have approached it from the angle of turn-taking rather than side-switching, which I admit is easier to grasp.  This results not in you becoming The Shadow Player but in you Playing Shadow Cards.  Once you get into the game, though, you don't really think that way (at least, I don't).

Perhaps it should be divided into two separate articles, Free Peoples and Shadow, liked you've mentioned.  Hrrm..

May 03, 2012, 09:13:54 AM
Reply #36

Kralik

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
Here's how Twilight is now handled:

Twilight followed by Minion(S)/Naz*/Keyword links to Twilight Keyword
Twilight alone as well as the phrases Twilight Cost/Pool/Token(S) link to Twilight Cost

If something like Twilight Nazgul is written, it will link to each separately, like: Twilight Nazgul. This behavior could be changed, but since the Twilight keyword is mostly Nazgul and some wraiths, I think it would be fine to not need a separate article for Twilight Nazgul.

May 04, 2012, 11:18:54 AM
Reply #37

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »
Something is screwing up lotr01165, Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit.  It's some sort of [[]] mismatch;  I think Troll is for some reason being inserted into the title prematurely, but there's no problem with Strange-Looking Men or Lorien Elf, so I don't know where that might be coming into play.  Something might be malforming [Moria] icon handling, too, except none of the other Moria cards appear to be affected.  Both versions of Scourge of the Black Pit and Menace of the Underdeeps (D) are affected, but not Savage Menace (makes sense since Savage Menace is a [Orc] card and not [Moria]).

May 04, 2012, 11:43:31 AM
Reply #38

Kralik

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Yikes, those were bad. Essentially it had to do with their long titles and the regexp not doing a long enough look-ahead to make sure it wasn't part of a link/image. After a bit of troubleshooting, I added 10 characters to the look-ahead and all is well again.

May 04, 2012, 12:16:49 PM
Reply #39

Kralik

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
Events with an associated phase (random example: Nocked) will now link to the phase correctly in both the card and index entry.

May 04, 2012, 01:53:50 PM
Reply #40

Kralik

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
Based on the language in the rulebook, here is what I think we should do regarding certain ambiguous phrases:

Fellowship: Link to an page describing the Free Peoples' fellowship. This is how the term is most often used in the rulebook and on cards themselves. A small box at the top of the page can give some info like "Were you looking for Fellowship (Keyword) or Fellowship Phase?"

Shadow and Free Peoples: Link to the page Kinds of Cards.

Twilight: Leave disambiguation page as it is.

May 04, 2012, 02:24:48 PM
Reply #41

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
Fellowship - agreed

Shadow/Free Peoples - sure, that's the same as my Alignment page but with a different name.  Works for me.

May 04, 2012, 03:09:38 PM
Reply #42

Kralik

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »
I'm just going with "Kind" because that is how the rulebook describes them.

"Side" is used mostly when discussing the outcome of various phases, skirmishes, archery totals, etc.

May 04, 2012, 03:32:17 PM
Reply #43

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:17 PM »
It's good logic; I think there should probably be a "did you mean card type?" line; kind of makes you wish they had used "Alignment" to reduce vagueness.

May 06, 2012, 09:48:25 AM
Reply #44

Kralik

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
I'm thinking of removing the race keywords from autolink, at least temporarily. It's looking a bit ridiculous to have every instance of Elf, Dwarf, Man, Hobbit, Orc, etc. link. In the end, what is going to go in the race pages that wouldn't be better covered in a Culture page? Sure, there are, for example, [Gondor] Men vs. [Isengard] Men, and [Moria] Orcs vs. [Orc] Orcs... but... I don't see a generic race page that acknowledges this being all that important.

May 06, 2012, 10:00:50 AM
Reply #45

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 10:00:50 AM »
The race pages should probably be there for completion's sake, but I agree with removing the autolinking. 

August 22, 2017, 03:07:54 AM
Reply #46

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:54 AM »
Card Type: Possession • Armor
Armor is messed. It links to the the page /lotr01092 which is the card Armor instead of the article armor.
If you could change it to armor isntead of /lotr01092 it would be as intended.

Nearly the same with Warg-Raider.
It links to the page /lotr05067 which is the card titeled Warg-Rider.

The Twilight porblem
Link "Twilight." to the not yet existing Twilight page (coming soon)
Link "Twilight Cost" to Twilight Cost
Link "Twilight Pool" to Twilight Pool
Link "Twilight tokens" and all cards with an Twilight symbol with a number to Twilight pool

The "Weather" Keyword is missing.

"Weapon" should be removed from the list
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:21:08 AM by Enabran »