LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Expanded Boromir Tank Deck  (Read 14477 times)

August 17, 2012, 10:16:56 PM
Read 14477 times

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Expanded Boromir Tank Deck
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
I'm a big Boromir fan, and its been my ongoing goal to make the best Boromir-centric deck I can. I THINK I might finally be getting close. What do you think?

Expanded Format Boromir Tank Deck

Starting:

Boromir, Doomed Heir
Gondorian Prowler
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Free Peeps:

Blade of Gondor
Shield of Boromir
Ithilien Blade x3
Flaming Brand
Bow of Minas Tirith x2
Ranger's Cloak x2
Armor
Athelas
Heirs of Gondor x2
A Path Appointed
Hardy Garrison
I will Go
War and Valor x4
Dagger Strike
Might of Numenor x3
Guarded City x3
Ring of Fury
Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
Arod, Rohirrim Steed
Gimli's Helm
Dwarven Armor
Stalwart Support

The basic idea is to tank up Boromir and the Prowler as much as possible, and do a twilight choke. Once Gimli gets all his items, he's strength 10, resistance 9, with the option to be strength 12 if he puts the ring on. With the Dwarven Armor it would take 36 strength to overwhelm him, and the Helm enables him to take just one wound, or prevent all wounds in an emergency. I generally bid 1 burden, so Gimli can fight at least 4 times during the game. It's easy to get the threats up to 3 with his text and Ranger's Cloak, which means his axe gives you 1 archery too. Heirs of Gondor, A Path Appointed, and Guarded City make for some really lethal token stuff, which works well in conjunction with Prowler's text. Hardy Garrison with the various events gives more surprise wounds, and Stalwart Support helps a little with the cycling and double-moving.

Minions:

Sauron, The Lord of the Rings x3
Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor
Siege Troop x2
Orc Pursuer x4
Orc Ambusher x4
Orc Guard x4
Orc Slayer x2
Gate Trooper x4
Teeth of Mordor x3
Spies of Mordor
Goblin Runner x4
Isengard Tinker x2
Dunlending Rampager x2

Again, the idea here is pretty simple: Swarm with a bunch of weak guys that only cost 1 twilight, but offset that with a few nasty surprises: Sauron himself, and a couple of Siege Troops that can be recycled with Teeth. Pursuer and Ambusher help me get guys out cheaper early on. Guard and the extra Teeth of Mordors give me some condition removal to jack up the opponent's strategy. Siege Troop also controls sites to make Sauron cheaper. Sauron and the Siege Troops pair down the larger fellowships so the rest can swarm them, or at least make the opponent wary of double moving, because they'll never know what to expect. And because the vast majority of these minions are so cheap, cycling all the shadow cards out of your hand is really easy.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

August 19, 2012, 11:12:49 AM
Reply #1

flash19732

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Expanded Boromir Tank Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
I like it, actually I was wanting to make a deck similar to this (the Boromir side that is). Also adding Gimli and the A Path Appointed is a nice touch. My only suggestion would be to add some condition and burden removal as well as trim down the number of cards in the deck ( for me my max is typically 32-33 on each side). Otherwise this deck looks pretty awsome.

August 20, 2012, 02:13:35 PM
Reply #2

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
Welcome to the site, sgtdraino.  You are a great addition!

And I'm not just saying that because I too love Boromir more than I probably should...

August 20, 2012, 03:44:56 PM
Reply #3

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
I like it, actually I was wanting to make a deck similar to this (the Boromir side that is).

I started out running Boromir with Strider, but I really disliked adding in the extra twilight. So far I think the Prowler works better. Less strength, but it's amazing how much one less twilight can help out. It also gives the deck more of a Boromir focus, without Strider there trying to hog the glory!

Also adding Gimli and the A Path Appointed is a nice touch.

It works pretty good once I reinforce it with a Guarded City. The idea is that A Path Appointed kind of mitigates the fact that Prowler (and sometimes Boromir) don't have damage bonuses.

My only suggestion would be to add some condition and burden removal

Well, I do have the one Athelas. Not sure what else to do. What cards would you suggest? So far I haven't had a problem with burdens, but I haven't put it up against a straight-up corruption deck. Maybe I'll try that out next.

as well as trim down the number of cards in the deck ( for me my max is typically 32-33 on each side).

I normally prefer to keep them no bigger than 35 each side. However, as cheap as these minions are, I really haven't had any problem cycling. I can normally play all the shadow cards I want, and a fair bit of the freep stuff are events that don't pile up the twilight during fellowship.

Otherwise this deck looks pretty awsome.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site, sgtdraino.  You are a great addition!

Thanks! I suppose at somepoint I'll have to figure out how to play the game online.

And I'm not just saying that because I too love Boromir more than I probably should...

Hey, not that there's anything wrong with that, right?

August 20, 2012, 03:56:14 PM
Reply #4

flash19732

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Haha I very much agree about the Strider, there's only room for one Lord of Gondor in this deck. As far as conditions, you could use Blood rungs Chill, or Elrond HtGG with Vilya for healing plus condition removal. I forgot the Athelas removes condtions :P , but even so I could see you running into some condition problems at some point in the game, since most shadow sides usually have more than one nasty condition in their decks. Once again I envy this deck and one am actually planning on constructing one similar :)

August 21, 2012, 11:31:33 AM
Reply #5

Zurcamos

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Global Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:33 AM »
Thanks! I suppose at somepoint I'll have to figure out how to play the game online.
Hey, not that there's anything wrong with that, right?
You know, I haven't really delved into the online myself, but I know most folks here love it.  As for loving Boromir too much, I guess you'd have to ask my spouse.  Haha.

August 21, 2012, 01:36:28 PM
Reply #6

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
As far as conditions, you could use Blood rungs Chill, or Elrond HtGG with Vilya for healing plus condition removal.

Hmmm... Only a 50/50 shot at getting Vilya out, though. And if it's a really GOOD condition, he'll just play it on me again, right? And Elrond is pretty expensive, I'd probably put in Citadel of Minas Tirith before I'd put in Elrond. Cheaper. Plus the opponent could fairly easily discard Elrond by playing that site that discards allies, once I get ahead of him. And, of course, none of this is burden removal! Any ideas for that?

I think I'll go test it against corruption now...

I could see you running into some condition problems at some point in the game, since most shadow sides usually have more than one nasty condition in their decks.

Could very well be! I'm not sure that Vilya is the answer to that though. Any other ideas?

ETA: Okay, ran it up against my corruption deck, and got corrupted both times. Mainly thanks to those damned Easterlings! So, it seems like I either need some sort of burden removal, or I need some way to let Gimli skirmish more often without getting burdened up so bad. That potentially means threat removal. Card space is at a premium now, though.

Perhaps corruption is simply going to be a natural weakness this deck has? No deck is perfect, after all.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:42:52 PM by sgtdraino »

August 22, 2012, 01:56:55 PM
Reply #7

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
Thinking about including Make Light of Burdens for emergencies. Still no ideas about burden removal, though.

August 22, 2012, 02:06:39 PM
Reply #8

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
I hate to recommend it, but your best bet will be BRC. MLoB only works for things like blade tip that attach to companions.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

August 22, 2012, 04:09:12 PM
Reply #9

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
Say, that's not bad! Only good for one shot, but with Gimli damage plus a bunch, that's a pretty big hit.

But what about burden removal?
Or threat removal?

August 25, 2012, 07:20:42 AM
Reply #10

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
Okay, made some modifications.

Still haven't felt the need to include any serious condition removal, just the Athelas
Still don't have any means of removing burdens (it seems like Gondor and Dwarf generally suck at that).

What I HAVE concentrated on, is the ability to wound or remove problem minions during the maneuver phase, in emergencies. The centerpiece of this, is Ithilien Blade. I already stocked three, and with considerable regret, I finally removed Blade of Gondor and added a fourth. I then added Gondorian Merchant to up the site number during the maneuver phase. Last, I added Brego, Loyal Steed, who works well with my ability to reinforce a bunch of Gondor Tokens. So, I've got two ways of wounding or removing key minions (like Easterlings or the Witch King) during the maneuver phase. And in a pinch, at battlegrounds, I can use Bow of Minas Tirith to throw some wounds out during Archery. Since his twilight is generally limited to start with, he usually can't play much. I did also add Hearts Raised to mitigate the threats a bit and allow Gimli to skirmish a little more before burdens start piling up. I'm also experimenting with Strands of Elven Hair coupled with Trust x4. Trust is slightly less effective than my previous power ups, but if I get Strands out soon enough, should really help with the healing.

Took out I Will Go (it's expensive, and my RB is nearly impossible to overwhelm anyway), Armor (Boromir doesn't usually lose skirmishes, so the Armor isn't doing much), Stalwart Support (just no room), and swapped Arod out for Scroll of Isildur (same effect on resistance, but now I have the option of discarding it to get Ring of Fury out of the discard pile, which means in a pinch I can use Ring of Fury to heal Gimli once. I am assuming once, I dont think I can use it to heal the same Dwarf repeatedly). Took out the Dagger Strike and War and Valor x4 in favor of Trust and End of the Game, for greater healing potential.

September 04, 2012, 11:10:54 PM
Reply #11

dethwish07

• Information Offline
  • Scout
  • Not all who wander are lost
    • My Blog: The Archives of Minas Tirith
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 11:10:54 PM »
Since you have the ithilien blades and the merchants in, what about taking that a step further? 4x Second Level, 3x Sixth Level, and some Citadel of Minas Tirith? If you wanted even more healing, you could throw in some Invigorated. That may be straying a bit too far from what it is you want to do with this deck, idk.

Of course, there are always those Gandalf additions we discussed earlier... but that would damage the choke aspect of your strategy. Gondor definitely has its difficulties...

October 08, 2012, 01:56:13 PM
Reply #12

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
Since you have the ithilien blades and the merchants in, what about taking that a step further? 4x Second Level, 3x Sixth Level, and some Citadel of Minas Tirith? If you wanted even more healing, you could throw in some Invigorated. That may be straying a bit too far from what it is you want to do with this deck, idk.

Of course, there are always those Gandalf additions we discussed earlier...  

lol. It's funny to read through this thread and see how my Boromir deck has evolved! Those of you who play on Gemp regularly may be getting familiar with this deck by now, as it is finally pretty strong! Here it is in its current form:

Deck Name: Boromir, Still Sharpe
Ring-bearer: Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
Ring: The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Starting:
1x Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith
1x Ranger of the White Tree
1x Madril, Defender of Osgiliath

Adventure deck:
Gate of Mordor
Fangorn Glade
Cavern Entrance
Anduin Confluence
Barazinbar
Trollshaw Forest
Moria Guardroom
Mount Doom
Sirannon Ruins

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
4x Gandalf, Returned
1x Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor
2x Gondorian Merchant
1x Dwarven Armor
1x Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
1x Gimli's Helm
1x Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas
1x Armor
1x Flaming Brand
4x Ithilien Blade
1x Ranger's Cloak
3x Throne of Minas Tirith
2x A Wizard Is Never Late
2x Deep in Thought
1x Servant of the Secret Fire
4x What Are They?
1x Sent Back
3x Citadel of Minas Tirith
1x Heirs of Gondor
1x No Stranger to the Shadows
1x Noble Leaders
4x The Faithful Stone
1x Pallando, Far-travelling One

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Isengard Shaman
3x Isengard Tinker
4x Goblin Runner
4x The Balrog, Demon of Might
4x Orc Ambusher
4x Orc Pursuer(2)
3x Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
4x Troll of Cirith Gorgor
1x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
3x Úlairë Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
1x Ships of Great Draught
3x Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
4x Saruman's Power
3x Host of Thousands

This deck is a veritable swiss army knife of counters to common tactics I've encountered on Gemp. Both sides incorporate solid condition removal. Throne of Minas Tirith and The Faithful Stone serve to get rid of problem possessions, reinforce tokens, prevent skirmishes when my Ithilien Blades fail, and encourage the opponent to leave in some twilight so I can drop my Deep in Thought condition bombs on him. The idea is to get out Gandalf ASAP so that Shadowfax can get my burdens off and my threats up. These days I generally bid to go second (I feel like I've gone to the dark side!) so that I have more control over what sites get played. The Balrog, Demon of Might has become a real player in this deck, as his ability underground allows me to counter a whole host of abusive strategies from followers, maneuver phase actions, and super archery. 4x Saruman's Power will generally get rid of all the opponent's conditions, even if he's got 4 copies of Scouring of the Shire out. Grond removes any centerpiece strategy that is left over. Ships of Great Draught is my one-card counter for when I'm playing against another Madril/Ithilien Blade deck.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:06:28 PM by sgtdraino »

January 26, 2013, 10:38:22 PM
Reply #13

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
Here's the latest version of my "Boromir" deck. Now up to version 13! The deck has evolved quite a bit since the previous post. For one thing, I no longer start Boromir, although he is still an important part of the deck:

Deck Name: Boromir, Still Sharpe
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Starting:
1x Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
1x Smeagol, Slippery Sneak

Adventure deck:
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Cavern Entrance
Steward's Tomb
Neekerbreekers' Bog
Mithlond
The Prancing Pony
Dammed Gate-stream
Mount Doom
Sirannon Ruins

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
2x Gandalf, Returned
1x Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftain
1x Radagast, The Brown
1x Aragorn, Thorongil
1x Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith
1x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
1x Beorning Axe
1x Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas
2x Armor
4x Ithilien Blade
1x Ranger's Cloak
1x Throne of Minas Tirith
1x Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil
4x A Wizard Is Never Late
1x Citadel to Gate
2x Deep in Thought
2x On Your Doorstep
2x Roll of Thunder
4x What Are They?
1x Follow Smeagol
1x Spirit of the White Tree
1x Stewards' Legacy
2x The Faithful Stone
1x Prized Lagan
1x Pallando, Far-travelling One
1x Deagol, Fateful Finder

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Grima, Wormtongue
3x Isengard Shaman
1x Isengard Tinker
4x Goblin Runner
4x The Balrog, Demon of Might
4x Orc Ambusher
3x Orc Scout
3x Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
3x Troll of Cirith Gorgor
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
2x Úlairë Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
2x Ships of Great Draught
3x Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
2x Ithil Stone
4x Saruman's Power
2x Host of Thousands
1x Hate

Let's see, where to begin...
*Swapped Gimli out for Frodo, because I found I really needed as much resistance as possible against corruption decks. And with The One Ring, The Great Ring he's all but impossible to overwhelm, unless he's at Cavern Entrance.
*Now start Faramir instead of Boromir, because he offers early protection for Madril against Enquea, and is an Ithilien Blade doubler.
*Added Pippin for his additional IB-like ability, good to have from the beginning. He's also a great way to soak up archery.
*Added Smeagol because the only real counter to site manipulation, is to run a little site manipulation yourself. Starting site is Dammed Gate-Stream, so I can bid high, start first, pull Follow Smeagol, and ideally site 2 is the only site my opponent will ever play.
*Both Pippin and Smeagol were also selected for their ability to be discarded, this being a fellowship that runs a total of ELEVEN companions!
*Took out two Gandalfs, added two more A Wizard is Never Late, and took advantage of that card by adding two more Gandalf-culture characters: Grimbeorn and Radagast.
*Grimbeorn is strong for when I have to fight, works well with my large minions and aids in cycling. With the Beorning Axe, plus two of On Your Doorstep, I also have a reasonable chance of retrieving anything I need from the discard pile. On Your Doorstep also works great with Boromir, Elrond, and What Are They?
*Radagast is normally an emergency measure if I fall behind. Many times I have used him at site 6 to triple-move to the end.
*Aragorn rounds out the crew as a strong fighter, another way to add threats, and/or exert minions who have troublesome special abilities.
*Spirit of the White Tree (along with Armor) is mainly anti-Gollum strategy. Currently only have one, thinking about adding a second (since Shelob normally excludes one guy).
*Took out healing stuff like Citadel of Minas Tirith, and instead added Neekerbreekers' Bog and Mithlond. A well-placed Neekerbreekers' Bog will hurt my opponent while helping me, and with Faramir's ability to spread wounds around, these sites have worked really well (using Follow Smeagol) to help me double-move.
*Added two Roll of Thunder, because Throne of Minas Tirith is not enough by itself. Ships of Great Draught is the weak point of this deck's strategy, so if it comes out, I need to get rid of it ASAP.
*Steward's Legacy with Faramir and Boromir has been great, particularly Faramir's ability to cancel special abilities during the maneuver phase when he heals guys or swings an IB. Another protection against Enquea and the like.
*Prized Lagan is yet another way to add threats, with the added bonus of taking away fierce, and healing my hobbits. What a card!
*Ranger's Cloak is a relatively late addition. Added it mainly as another defense against The Balrog, Demon of Might, so one of my guys can take a hit from him and still live. But it's also another way to add threats, as well as a way for Pippen to still be usable even if Madril gets killed or negated by Ships of Great Draught.
*Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil has been great for cycling, particularly late in the game. It also provides Frodo with enough resistance that even that annoying cycle-Moria-corruption deck cannot corrupt him.
*Deagol is another late addition, just a way to get one of my items more quickly, whatever I happen to need at the time. If I happen to get Follow Smeagol in my starting hand, I can use site 1 to pull this instead.
*Citadel to Gate is my hail mary card, for when my ring-bearer is getting close to corruption, or for when my Gondor guys are all hurt. Bam! No threats, heal guys, use Shadowfax to take off burdens. Rinse and repeat with Beorning Axe, if necessary.
*Fewer changes to the Shadow-side of this deck. Replaced several Isengard Orcs with Grima, Wormtongue, who has single-handedly won me the game on multiple occasions, mainly by clogging up my opponent's hand with FP cards allowing me to move with minimal minions to fight me. Also added Ithil Stone for cycling and cheaper guys, one copy of Hate for a potentially nasty surprise, and replaced Orc Pursuer with Orc Scout, who works as another counter to some site manipulation strategies, as well as What Are They?

January 02, 2014, 09:07:27 AM
Reply #14

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
For anyone who's interested, this is the deck that eventually evolved into "The Ultimate Madril" deck seen here:

http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8525.0.html

Yes, alas, I failed in my primary objective to make Boromir the center of the deck, or to even have a place in it! I do still keep a version of this deck with Boromir as the Ring-bearer, but it's not quite as effective as the one with Frodo as Ring-bearer, unfortunately.

I wonder if there's any way to accomplish this? Hmmmmmmmmm... :)

August 31, 2014, 01:31:18 PM
Reply #15

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
Yes, alas, I failed in my primary objective to make Boromir the center of the deck, or to even have a place in it! I do still keep a version of this deck with Boromir as the Ring-bearer, but it's not quite as effective as the one with Frodo as Ring-bearer, unfortunately.

I wonder if there's any way to accomplish this? Hmmmmmmmmm... :)

What goes around comes around! Boromir is finally back in my Ultimate Madril deck, and he's doing well! I really wanted him in it, and I finally started experimenting with taking out Grimbeorn (and Beorning Axe) and putting in Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith. I've finally decided that the deck is slightly more effective with Boromir than it is with Grimbeorn. This might seem counter-intuitive, since I could grab Grimbeorn with AWINL, and with Boromir I have to either draw him, pull him at The Prancing Pony, or get him with SFTF. Still, via one of these means, Boromir does tend to get out in time to be useful. And he is useful! Yes, I can no longer retrieve stuff with Grimbeorn and Beorning Axe... but honestly a lot of the time I'd end up getting Beorning Axe too early, and then holding it in my hand too long. The only vital thing I can't get back via other means, is if I lose Shadowfax, GOTM. But if I do lose GOTM, then it was probably Corsairs that made me lose it, in which case they'd get rid of it again even if I was able to get it back, not to mention stealing my Beorning Axe before I can use it to get GOTM.

But I digress! Back to Boromir. Why is he better? Well, the best thing about Grimbeorn was that he could be counted on to beat just about anything, soak up wounds, and heal each turn. With Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith, you have a guaranteed Ithilien Blade swing each turn (take out anything) and the ability to soak up wounds and then heal. So, not much difference. Plus, with Boromir, I once again take better advantage of Stewards Legacy. Boromir can deal out two exertions each time he swings that thing, instantly incapacitating things like Grima, Chief Counselor, The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor, Easterling Lieutenant, etc., in addition to taking out something with IB! So way to go, Boromir, nice to have you back! You may not be a tank, but you definitely pull your weight!

Starting Cards:
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring
1x Faramir, Captain of Ithilien
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
1x Smeagol, Always Helps

Adventure deck:
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Steward's Tomb
Cavern Entrance