LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brego - Barliman engine  (Read 1206 times)

February 19, 2023, 11:24:12 AM
Read 1206 times

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Brego - Barliman engine
« on: February 19, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »
I was spectating a gemp game the other day, and I noticed someone playing Brego on Barliman, PPP. Then came the idea. I can discard Brego each regroup using Dispatched with Haste, then recur it each fellowship with Ecglaf or Sword Rack (the later being more vulnerable). Ecglaf can of course be healed with Leowyn, Guma, and so on. This is already a very powerful engine without a single card that would be redundant on its own, but I would like to take it a bit further.

So now I'm looking for a way to discard brego in the fellowship phase, but haven't found anything so far in the deckbuilder. Does anyone know a way to do it?

February 19, 2023, 01:01:37 PM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Brego - Barliman engine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 01:01:37 PM »
I first thought of Weland, but of course he only heals companions :( Couldn't find a good way to get Brego around. Best I can come up with is transfer Brego to an exhausted Albert Dreary who is already bearing Beorning Axe while Barliman is not, then transfer the axe to Barliman and kill Albert. This doesn't actually give you any extra use unless Barliman was already bearing the axe and you have a way to exert Albert in the Fellowship phase (Last Stand?), in which case you can spend 6 twilight juggling possessions to get one extra use. May as well just add another copy of Barliman at that point :P

However, if you can heal Barliman in the middle of the turn you can still bump his uses up to twice per Fellowship phase instead of just once (exert, play Brego, exert again, heal for the next turn). Kings' Legacy is one I've seen before, though I don't know how it could fit into the deck. All I've got is to replay Brego after the Fellowship phase. Merry, Swordthain is an obvious choice after you get rid of it. Discarding Brego probably falls to Surrendered Weapons, unless you think you'd get anything at all from Blood Has Been Spilled. Either way, you're not gonna get much other extra use. Transferring with the phase action doesn't add twilight for the item itself and of course happens after the Shadow phase? You could toss around a total of 5 strength between mount, hand weapon, ranged weapon, and Sturdy Shield. Throw in Brought Down from Inside and there's some secondary fun to be had. But you're already trying to recur multiple Gandalf events, hard to find the deck space for all this... It would be site 7 before you have the cards!

February 19, 2023, 02:08:36 PM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 02:08:36 PM »
It's not a deck. Barliman, Dispatched with Haste, Surrendered Weapons and Brego are already included in one of my decks, and changing Éomer to a valiant version is fairly easy (2nd valiant being Aragorn). Then I add Ecglaf and I have another line of play.

February 22, 2023, 03:53:16 PM
Reply #3

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 03:53:16 PM »
If you're talking about the BoO Rohan build, I think swapping Eomer's might be for the better anyway. Horsemaster is nice for the Hunter and he can help move dead weight in your hand.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

February 25, 2023, 02:41:41 AM
Reply #4

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 02:41:41 AM »
If you're talking about the BoO Rohan build, I think swapping Eomer's might be for the better anyway. Horsemaster is nice for the Hunter and he can help move dead weight in your hand.

Those were my thoughts too, although on its own, I'd prefer Northman still.