LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Nazgul initiative shadow concept  (Read 6454 times)

July 09, 2014, 02:48:32 PM
Read 6454 times

Prince_of_Ithilien

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • for the King
Nazgul initiative shadow concept
« on: July 09, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »
Hi all,

I'm no stranger to the shadows..I mean, to the game, but have only recently explored the king block cards.  I saw Toldea, Wraith on Wings, and figured I'd try to build a deck based on initiative.  Figuring that most cards can be weaved into a nice combo, I made a first attempt at a deck.  Here's where I'm at so far:

The Witch-King, Black Captain x2
Ulaire Attea, Wraith on Wings x2
Ulaire Cantea, Faster than Winds
Ulaire Lemenya, Assailing Minion x2
Ulaire Nelya, Black-Mantled Wraith x2
Ulaire Nertea, Black-Mantled Wraith x2
Ulaire Otsea, Black-Mantled Wraith x2
Ulaire Toldea, Wraith on Wings x3
There Came a Cry x3
Black Marshal x2
Called
Feel his Blade x1
Flung Into the Fray x2
Ghastly Host x2
More Unbearable x3
Out of Sight and Shot x3
Put Forth his Strength
Stooping to the Kill
Stronghold of Minas Morgul
37 cards

-More Unbearable to gain initiative (or Feel his Blade if condition is not out yet)
-With initiative, use Out of Sight and Shot to play Toldea as a surprise (and if I'm lucky, boosting Lemenya)
-Witch-King to pull Toldea from discard (and play for free if I have initiative)
-With initiative, There Came a Cry can add more threats (and make Called easier to at an opportune moment)
-Stooping to the Kill in hopes of knocking out companions more easily
-Flung Into the Fray to ensure a minion to play (and maybe make eliminating companions a bit easier in the process)
-Stronghold of Minas Morgul is meant to prevent any resulting threats from being pinned on Frodo (unless added as burdens)
-Put Forth his Strength is there in case of a phenomenal shadow game or a dumb lucky break scenario

As for the other Nazgul, they are mostly there to be a nuisance.  I toyed with the idea of using Streaming onto the Field to gain initiative more easily, but at the expense of Nazgul minions, I think other cards would begin to clog my hand.

Questions, comments, ideas, or clever witticisms?  Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:19:54 PM by Prince_of_Ithilien »
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...-Faramir

July 09, 2014, 06:16:05 PM
Reply #1

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
Re: Nazgul initiative shadow concept
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:05 PM »
I like the idea, but... 37 cards seems a bit too much.  I would suggest removing an Out of Sight and Shot and a More Unbearable.  (There are not very many condition hate fellowships in King Block.)  Also, do you really need Stronghold of Minas Morgul?  Other than that it seems pretty solid.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

July 09, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
Reply #2

Prince_of_Ithilien

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • for the King
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:40:50 PM »
That's true - I'll see how that works out.  Thanks for your input!

Played it for the first time in Movie block (where it was way out of its depth).

Just finished with a RotK game, and it worked like clockwork.  Played against Gondor knights - used There Came a Cry and Cantea to ditch the bows, was able to get More Unbearable working early on, and was playing Toldea off of Flung into the Fray several sites in a row.  Flows nicely and seems to have decent chemistry.  Seems to be a keeper so far.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...-Faramir

July 10, 2014, 09:57:12 AM
Reply #3

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »
Do you have a replay?
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

July 10, 2014, 08:13:06 PM
Reply #4

Prince_of_Ithilien

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • for the King
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
Not since it's shining sophomore performance, no - I have it waiting at a table waiting in gemp right now, though... 

July 10, 2014, 08:15:11 PM
Reply #5

Prince_of_Ithilien

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • for the King
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
PS- I love the quote at the top of your signature line!