LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rate This Deck: Dwarves/Moria Swarm  (Read 27953 times)

August 13, 2009, 01:43:50 PM
Read 27953 times

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Rate This Deck: Dwarves/Moria Swarm
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
Starting:
Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Gimli, Feared Axeman
Sindri, Dwarven Lord

Free Peoples (37):
Durin III, Dwarven Lord x2
Linnar, Dwarven Lord x2
Aragorn, Ranger of the North
Faramir, Son of Denethor
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Grimir, Dwarven Elder
Bounder

Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
Axe of Erebor x2
Dwarven Axe x2
Ring of Fury x2
Ring of Guile
Ring of Accretion

Dwarven Heart x2
Ever My Heart Rises
Preparations x2

Slaked Thirsts x3
Battle Tested x3
Rest By Blind Night x3
Blood Runs Chill x2

Shadow (37):
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x2
The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow x3
Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps x2
Guard Commander x2
Goblin Runner x4
Goblin Sneak x4
Goblin Scavengers x4
Goblin Scrabbler x3

Goblin Scimitar x4

Goblin Armory x4
Goblin Swarms x3
They Are Coming x2

Sitepath:
Dunharrow Plateau
Rohirrim Camp
Hall of the Kings
Anduin Banks*
Steward's Tomb*
Minas Tirith First Circle
Osgiliath Crossing
Morgulduin
Haunted Pass

A lot of swarm decks just like to throw everything out there again and again. But let's face it. Unless you have the Perfect Swarm/Storm, then you are just wasting minions. That's why Goblin Sneak is so key. He allows you to throw the guys who do get killed before getting stacked on Goblin Swarms on the bottom of your draw deck. It is a relatively short deck, so you are guaranteed to have a nice swarm by site seven or eight.

Ulaire Enquea is used to avoid those guys who throw out every companion in the book when they see a swarm deck. I find it to be wildly effective.

As for the free people, I may only have five total companions (plus cannon fodder in the recently added: Aragorn, Ranger of the North and Sam, Son of Hamfast), but I regularly play games where none of them die. Dwarven Heart, coupled with Axe of Erebor is an easy way to heal dwarves, and by only having an axe and a ring each (sorry Sindri, we're one ring short!), I avoid Grima, Wormtongue. Sindri allows me to play Battle Tested that gets stacked on Preparations or Ever My Heart Rises and Slaked Thirsts is just a fantastic card for cycling and direct exerting.

A note, however, is that I use Preparations a little differently than most Dwarf-players do. I use Preparations to stack cards I don't need early in the game (Aragorn, Ranger of the North, Faramir, Son of Denethor, and Sam, Son of Hamfast, The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow) and then couple that with Rest By Blind Night to shuffle that back into my draw deck. I mean, I use the wounding stuff too, but sometimes when you draw that Sam, Son of Hamfast in the first hand...well, you understand. On that note, I actually use Dunharrow Plateau to grab Ever My Heart Rises.

Thoughts appreciated.
-wtk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:20:03 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 20, 2009, 07:07:50 AM
Reply #1

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Rank This Deck: Dwarves/Moria Swarm
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »
Just add Sam, Son of Hamfast for the burdens. Then, I don't understand why you use so many Guard Commander.

Since you want people to rate it... I'd say the fellowship looks good... but the shadow looks too weak.

August 20, 2009, 09:11:21 AM
Reply #2

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
I would replace 1 balrog with 1 host of moria if you have it.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

August 23, 2009, 04:53:02 PM
Reply #3

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
For online play you won't be able to use Relics of Moria as it is banned (I think), but at home its up to your player group. I'll give it five stars, because although the shadow needs a bit of work (in my opinion), the fellowship is pretty awesome. One thing I may add though: put in some version of smeagol, I recommend either poor creature or slinker to compliment sting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:58:06 PM by Sweet_Stuff »
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

August 24, 2009, 08:48:27 AM
Reply #4

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:48:27 AM »
I agree with c10ck my problem with goblin commander is that his cost is high for a swarm and the point of a swarm is to throw out as many minions as possible not use twilight on strength bonuses definitely dump the sting and add a sam son of hamfast instead, also your swarm has only 8 minions that cost less than 3 add more cards like goblin backstabber, goblin walllcrawler, moria scout, goblin pursuer and the like
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

August 24, 2009, 11:07:03 AM
Reply #5

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
Who/what should be the last free people's card I add?

*Cough*Slinker*Cough*
--God

October 12, 2009, 08:35:17 PM
Reply #6

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Rate This Deck: Dwarves/Moria Swarm [Edited 8/27--POLL RESET!]
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:17 PM »
To whomever gave it a three, can you explain why? I'd prefer anyone who votes please explain your vote.
-wtk

October 14, 2009, 07:16:57 PM
Reply #7

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:16:57 PM »
I gave it a three, but it was an accident; I meant to click four.  [Mumble]Stupid batteries in wireless mouse...[/mumble]

I didn't give it a 5 because I have been playtesting this deck for the last 3-4 days and I have found that the fellowship needs work.  The dwarves lose way too many skirmishes because there aren't enough pumps/posessions (minion wound prevention is frustrating with Preparations), Ever My Heart Rises is inefficient with the swarm because key minions (Host of Moria, Goblin Scavenger) often get stacked on it and if I don't have Rest By Blind Night handy, it can screw up my Shadow phase.  Dwarven Heart has proven absolutely useless unless I have RbBN in the same hand, because often 2 turns go by before I get it (thus exerting the companion who bears it twice and defeating the point altogether) and causes clogging if I'm waiting for one or the other.  Maybe I'm just getting unlucky, but it's not really working out for me.  The fellowship needs more possessions and more skirmish-phase pumps that can be stacked on conditions so Sindri, DL is actually useful.  

I will say however that Slaked Thirsts has proven very effective both for cycling and direct exerting, and Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon is beautiful on Durin III if threats are out.  I'd toss 1 Axe of Erebor for 1 Trusted Weapon instead.  Also, Aragorn and Faramir have been lifesavers as fellowship fodder, especially at the higher sites or while attempting a two-move win to site 9.

As for the Shadow... Wow.  I've always really liked Moria Swarm because they're so efficient and simple to play, but this shadow side is working especially well for me.  The Balrog, ToFaS tossed into a swarm of 5-6 minions along with Host of Moria has worked great, and I almost always have the twilight for it because of Goblin Armories.  They Are Coming is VITAL for this deck and for cycling!!!  I've never been a particularly big fan of that card but I've definitely been proven wrong here.  Surprisingly, while most of the minions are fairly weak, it works out well at later sites because when they get discarded They Are Coming brings the important ones back (Goblin Runner) that add that last extra twilight to bring out HoM or use Guard Commander's skirmish ability.

Overall I like the Shadow, and the FP side is good, the cycling is good... it just needs some adjustments.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:18:58 PM by Calam »

October 14, 2009, 08:48:44 PM
Reply #8

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Dwarven Heart is amazing with Axe of Erebor! That is the combination you are missing!

I think that I have to keep two Axe of Erebor in there; Durin is nice, but a Dwarven Axe works just fine until you get the special axe.

I am glad you liked the deck in general and even more glad you play-tested it. But think again on Axe of Erebor. It allows you to discard the minions you stack on Ever My Heart Rises and allows you to discard Dwarven Heart. I think that is what you are missing!
-wtk

October 14, 2009, 08:59:47 PM
Reply #9

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »
You're right, I can't believe I missed that.  I was thinking too hard about the obvious option (RbBN to remove Dwarven Heart and/or get my minions off of EMHR) that I missed the fact that Gimli's Axe, AoE is more efficient.

Even still, I think more skirmish events are needed against big minions.  These dwarves really struggle against trolls or super-boosted Corsairs, IMHO.  Half of what makes dwarves fun is that they can get so beefy with all the cheap possessions they can have.  Durin could be a REAL beast if you have a hand axe or Book of Mazarbul in there.

October 14, 2009, 09:03:01 PM
Reply #10

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
Durin could be a REAL beast if you have a hand axe or Book of Mazarbul in there.
Dwarven Armor, Dwarven Bracers, etc.

Yeah...I guess I am trying to avoid Grima, Wormtongue and the likes. I feel like between Axe of Erebor and stacked Battle Tested, I can keep my companions alive. That's all you really need with a swarm like this!

Anyways, Axe of Erebor is amazing. Play-test some more and report back, soldier!
-wtk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:24:51 PM by ket_the_jet »

October 15, 2009, 01:54:44 PM
Reply #11

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
I know Lord of Moria is kind of an expensive condition, but to have 2 of those out (or even just 1) with Gimli fully loaded is GREAT with Honed.  I only recommend that because I feel there just aren't enough pumps in this deck still, and if you don't have Honed available, you can still use LoM as fodder for AoE.

Not really sure where that would fit in, but just a thought.

October 15, 2009, 08:08:49 PM
Reply #12

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
Well, here's how I usually stack my companions:
Gimli, Feared Axeman with Axe of Erebor and Ring of Accretion
Durin III, Dwarven Lord with Gimli's Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon and Ring of Fury
Linnar, Dwarven Lord with Dwarven Axe and Ring of Guile
Sindri, Dwarven Lord with Dwarven Axe

Keep in mind that I can recycle my pump with Preparations and Sindri, Dwarven Lord. And to reiterate, I don't care about winning skirmishes. I just want to survive long enough to set up the perfect swarm.

And, on record, I cannot think of any deck that I would run Lord of Moria in to be honest. I thought that was great in Fellowship block and maybe Towers Standard, but I don't really think it is worth [2]. Even with Gimli, Bearer of Grudges. If Saruman's Power is played, well, then you can be corrupted just because you were relying on conditions to keep you from being corrupted. Same reason I don't play The Tale of Gil-Galad, The Saga of Elendil, Endurance of Dwarves, or Boromir, My Brother in any of my decks.

But I like seeing other thoughts on the deck.
-wtk

October 15, 2009, 10:56:27 PM
Reply #13

Calam

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
This is true.  And just to make a point, these dwarves DO do a pretty darn good job of surviving; I've just noticed that against big minions (i.e. fierce trolls) they struggle.  Then again I'm still learning to use the deck, so...  There have been some close calls, but more often than not it comes out on top by site 9, even vs. choke.  I've only lost once and that was my first game with this deck so obviously part of that was my own fault.

October 16, 2009, 05:38:22 AM
Reply #14

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:38:22 AM »
Sometimes the healing isn't the problem. BRC helps out a lot but because you don't have heavy hitters, I mean Durin is max strength 13, maybe 16 with an event, but he is there also to protect the others. So he is likely to take out the strongest minions, or he is taking one for the team so another doesn't get overwhelmed. My point is that there is a possibility that there will be minions left and that an opponent will discard those minions instead of the keyconditions or possessions. And what if you don't get Ring of Fury right from the start, you will be in trouble I assume. So I don't think it is too strong and that some strong decks will turn out to be stronger. I like dwarves more as they are, simple, not too intelligent and megastrong...
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...