LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
nessstark
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 am
Hello,
I’m teaching a unit with the theme "obsession in literature."
LOTR popped into my head when trying to find some passages that exhibit obsessional behavior.
Any LOTR or "The Hobbit" experts out there who could suggest a passage that shows Gollum’s obsession with the ring (or even something else in the LOTR trilogy)?
Thank you!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:11 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Ah, gimme a second...I’ve got LOTR on hand...here’s the first one I found, from Return of the King, the chapter "Mount Doom".

’Wicked masster!’ it hissed. ’Wicked masster cheats us; cheats Smeagol, gollum. He mussn’t go that way. He mussn’t hurt Preciouss. Give it to Smeagol, yess, give it to us! Give it to uss!’

With a violent heave Sam rose up. At once he drew his sword, but he could do nothing. Gollum and Frodo were locked together. Gollum was tearing at his master, trying to get at the chain and the Ring.

And as far as other literature goes, Crime and Punishment and Macbeth are also excellent pieces to draw from, depending on the age of your audience.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 pm
Here are a few paragraphs from The Two Towers:

Suddenly Sam woke up thinking that he heard his master calling. It was evening. Frodo could not have called, for he had fallen asleep, and had slid down nearly to the bottom of the pit. Gollum was by him. For a moment Sam thought that he was trying to rouse Frodo; then he saw that it was not so. Gollum was talking to himself. Sméagol was holding a debate with some other thought that used the same voice but made it squeak and hiss. A pale light and a green light alternated in his eyes as he spoke.
`Sméagol promised,’ said the first thought.
`Yes, yes, my precious,’ came the answer, ’we promised: to save our Precious, not to let Him have it – never. But it’s going to Him yes, nearer every step. What’s the hobbit going to do with it, we wonders, yes we wonders.’
`I don’t know. I can’t help it. Master’s got it. Sméagol promised to help the master.’
`Yes, yes, to help the master: the master of the Precious. But if we was master, then we could help ourselfs, yes, and still keep promises.’
`But Sméagol said he would be very very good. Nice hobbit! He took cruel rope off Sméagol’s leg. He speaks nicely to me.’
’Very very good, eh, my precious? Let’s be good, good as fish, sweet one, but to ourselfs. Not hurt the nice hobbit, of course, no, no.’
`But the Precious holds the promise,’ the voice of Sméagol objected.
`Then take it,’ said the other, `and let’s hold it ourselfs! Then we shall be master, _gollum_! Make the other hobbit, the nasty suspicious hobbit, make him crawl, yes, _gollum_!’
`But not the nice hobbit? ’
`Oh no, not if it doesn’t please us. Still he’s a Baggins, my precious, yes, a Baggins. A Baggins stole it. He found it and he said nothing, nothing. We hates Bagginses.’
’No, not this Baggins.’
’Yes, every Baggins. All peoples that keep the Precious. We must have it! ’
`But He’ll see, He’ll know. He’ll take it from us! ’
’He sees. He knows. He heard us make silly promises – against His orders, yes. Must take it. The Wraiths are searching. Must take it.’
’Not for Him! ’
’No, sweet one. See, my precious: if we has it, then we can escape, even from Him, eh? Perhaps we grows very strong, stronger than Wraiths. Lord Sméagol? Gollum the Great? _The_ Gollum! Eat fish every day, three times a day; fresh from the sea. Most Precious Gollum! Must have it. We wants it, we wants it, we wants it! ’
’But there’s two of them. They’ll wake too quick and kill us,’ whined Sméagol in a last effort. `Not now. Not yet.’
’We wants it! But’ – and here there was a long pause, as if a new thought had wakened. `Not yet, eh? Perhaps not. She might help. She might, yes.’
`No, no! Not that way! ’ wailed Sméagol.
`Yes! We wants it! We wants it! ’
Each time that the second thought spoke, Gollum’s long hand crept out slowly, pawing towards Frodo, and then was drawn back with a jerk as Sméagol spoke again. Finally both arms, with long fingers flexed and twitching, clawed towards his neck.
I had to put something here.
AgentDrake
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:27 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Not technically LotR or Hobbit, but in the Children of Hurin, Chapter 8 has Mim the Dwarf growing obsessed with killing off Beleg (an Elf) to the point of making a deal with Orcs to get him. Probably wouldn’t be too hard to excerpt that part of the story. I don’t know if it would work, and It’s not especially detailed, but thought I might as well mention it; I was working with that bit of the book anyway for my DC set.

I’ll try to get the excerpt and edit it into this post when I have a chance.

If you’re looking for more obsessions, Kari’s feud with Flosi in Njal’s Saga is a good one, and the book is absolutely brilliant, but the plot is so insanely complex that it might not even be worth it for something like this....
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Celebrimbor
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:04 pm
I can’t post a huge passage here, but Gandalf said something very interesting in particular.

"He hates it just as much as he loves it." I’ll look in my LOTR book to find more.

Also, to get a better grasp, look at other characters who had obsession with the ring, such as Isildur, bilbo, and Frodo.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion