LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:08 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
Direct damage in blue?!?
--- end description ---

What comes to your head when you hear direct damage? Blue!!!

Curse me all you like, Grail, but here it is: a Booby Trap deck! And believe me or not, a nice one, from my point of view, when you think about deck cost...
Well, without further delay, here’s my Masterpiece:

The Booby Trap

MAIN DECK:
Island x20
Index x3
Sleight of Hand x4
Vision Skeins x4
Telling Time x4
Mana Leak x4
Remove Soul x4
Hinder x4
Lurking Informant x4
Wizened Snitches x4
Aven Windreader x3
Booby Trap x4

SIDEBOARD:
Rewind x4
Spell Snare x4
Drift of Phantasms x4
Leyline of Singularity x3

Now, explanations on cards:
Index - A good card, specially if played on turn one, which lets you "plan" your next moves, rather than "wondering" them. Also, this deck must have its cards drawn in a very strict order, and this will help you doing it.
Sleight of Hand - Another good card, since it cycles through the deck faster.
Vision Skeins - By looking at the deck cost, you might wonder: why not Compulsive Research? The answer is simple: since you don’t have a lot of beef, you may have to counter some creatures, and that means having mana available at all times! Being an instant, and costing only two mana for TWO cards, this card actually is more of a way of "cycling" faster through the deck, and the drawback of helping an opponent is even acceptable.
Telling Time - Another cycling card to ensure you always have open mana on the field AND counterspells in your hand.
Mana Leak - The best counter nowadays. Cheap and lethal.
Remove Soul - I was gonna go with either Spell Snare or Rewind. Spell Snare is rather limited, IMO, so it might be good in SOME games (that’s why it’s in the Sideboard), but not all. Rewind is a great counter, since it still leaves mana open, but it’s rather expensive, and you may get pounded a lot during the beggining. So, since almost all decks use at least SOME creatures (and a lot of them use A LOT of creatures), Remove the Soul becomes a great counter! However, you could alter the proportion to, let’s say, Remove Soul x2 and Rewind or Spell Snare x2, depending on the meta in your region.
Hinder - Aside from being a nice counter, it’s the first strategic tool of the deck, since it returns the countered spell to the top of the opponent’s library (hence, letting you know exactly what’s there).
Lurking Informant - He’s cheap (so he can shrug off some damage if you need), and has a nice ability. However, the idea of having him on the field is NOT to mill an opponent’s deck, but again, know exactly what’s on top of his deck.
Wizened Snitches - The drawback of revealing your card to an opponent is a little loss, since it let’s you plan your game better, and you’ll probably cycle and draw a lot of cards, not letting him know what you decided to keep. Also, as before, a great way of knowing what’s coming your way next turn.
Aven Windreader - The same as Wizened Snitches, but more expensive (either to play or to use his ability). However, it DOES give you a flying blocker (or attacker, if you need a finishing blow), and doesn’t let your opponent figure out what you have or might have in hand next turn.
Booby Trap - The star of the deck. Sure, you didn’t think you would have to know your opponent’s topdeck just for planning or fun, right? Find out what’s there during his turn, preferably when he cannot draw cards anymore, and play this "little" thing down next turn. What happens? Just pass to instantly deal 10 points of damage, out of a monoblue deck! Pretty nice, hey?

Now, for the sideboard:
Rewind - An amazing counter, but rather expensive. If you read the cards explanations, you’ll see why I decided to go with Remove Soul.
Spell Snare - Another nice counter, but depends a lot on the opponent’s deck, since it counters ONLY two mana spells. But a good sideboard card, since you will need a lot of countering.
Drift of Phantasms - Aggro stopper, mostly, but CAN be used to transmute into Hinder, if you need.
Leyline of Singularity - You don’t need more than one of your creatures on the field, so if aggro is giving you headaches, just limit the number of pounders (also turning this into a Wrath, depending on board situation)!

Well, that’s it. It’s not a world champion, but since I decided to annoy Grail and USE Booby Trap, I’m just keeping my promise! Hehehe Dancing
Hope you all liked it, I sure did!

PS: Don’t get mad, Grail! Just messing with you, ok?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 pm
I’m not angry and I try not to be... I am a little dissapointed at the lack of searching you have in the deck, though.

You could definately stand to have some sort of gifts ungiven with recollect etc. or go dimir and transmute for copies. Just seems incredibly fragile of an idea. Also, I think you have more than enough topdeck revealing- perhaps you could lose some of that for some search or something? I think some sort of recollect and green could really help- mana accelerationa nd a backup plan in case they kill your trap.
Cobra
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 pm
Personally this looks like a "fun" deck that’s not much fun... I like your others much better. Maybe that’s just because I’m not much of a Blue player though. Laughing

I agree with Grail, more search will definitely help you out. Three copies of Booby Trap per game seems like a good goal, to account for opponent’s artifact destruction or life gain.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
The First
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:57 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Never use too many cards like Index, Sleight of Hand and/or Telling Time. They reorder the top of your library but if you don’t have any shuffle effects, those cards aren’t THAT good. They merely change the order in which you will draw cards, you will still draw those cards that you don’t need/want for now.

Compulsive Research is better because it’ll let you draw those 3 cards and discard what you don’t need.

Why not a Mizzium Transreliquat for some booby trap copy action?

The library manipulation and counterspells should be able to protect your combo more or less.

Why not some Remands and Signets (any signet with blue) to slow down your opponent early game/accelerate your own deck at least a little.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:04 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Mizzium Transreliquat is not in here because I just can’t afford the mana. My goal is to find out my opponent’s topdeck, and bomb him next turn with the Booby Trap, thus reducing drastically the chance of having it blown away (since I could just save a Spell Snare or Mana Leak as protection). Having to pay 12 mana is not quite that good. It could, yes, be a bait for artifact destruction cards, but for this I prefer using signets (which I might considering adding, since it kinds of make my opponents believe I’m landstuck, specially if I use Dimir, ’cause of the little black/blue guy). As for the other suggestions, I think I’ll add more searching/transmuting/drawing, and lose some of the expensive cards, like Aven Windreader. I might even consider maindecking Leyline of Singularity (the damage of losing a first game to a control deck with a useless Leyline, IMO, is nothing considered to losing a first game against zoo and having to maindeck Leyline on game 2). As for transmuting, this would mean adding another color, and that’s just what I DON’T want, and I believe blue search might be a bit hard to come by. I think I’ll lose an Index, maybe some Sleight of Hand, and MAYBE one or two Telling Time, in order to make the deck more "shufflable" and to draw faster... I just can’t seem to face Compulsive Research as such a good idea, I mean, the deck has no accelerators, so I HAVE to have 6 lands down on turn 6... And as for the other cards, since I’ll be losing topdeck unveillers, I can’t think of something I could discard, specially TWO cards...
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:40 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
The good thing about the Mizzium Transreliquat is that it costs 2x 3 colorless mana. You can play it 3rd turn and then turn it into a Booby Trap when you can spare the extra 3 mana and Booby Trap is out.

However, I think that the Transreliquat will be utterly useless though since it can’t choose a card nor opponent as it is already in play when you turn it into a Booby Trap d'oh! Embarassed

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest