LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Sam-Wise
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:02 pm
This has always stumped me.

Why (in the book) can Tom Bombidile (I think that’s how you spell his name) put on the ring, and it won’t affect him?
My Greatest friend is Jesus Christ.
He's the source of all power.

X+3=8-2. {X=3}. I love little algebra problems!
menace64
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:26 pm
First, it’s spelled Bombadil.

Second, that’s more left up to the reader than anything else. Tolkien said that, within the boundaries of Tom’s realm (those boundaries set by Tom himself in ages long past) he was the Master of all things. That would naturally include the Ring, while it was there.

The debate arises when you begin to question how and why Tom has absolute power in his realm. Is he Eru (God)? Is he one of the Vala? Or is he a spirit of the world, such as Caradhras? There’s no real answer, because Tolkien decided to keep Tom around as an enigma, a force ultimately undefinable and unknowable, but a fabric of Middle-earth nonetheless.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:18 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I believe much of the reason was because Tom couldn’t be tempted by the Ring. It had no power over him, so it had no effect over him. The Ring only has power if one allows it to have power over oneself. Tom does not, in any way, and so it has no effect on him.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Sam-Wise
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 pm
Those make sense.
My Greatest friend is Jesus Christ.
He's the source of all power.

X+3=8-2. {X=3}. I love little algebra problems!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion