LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
TheHobbit13
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:31 pm
i don’t think it was "still strong". It has lost a lot of interest over the past year/year and a half.. ever since the so called broken orcs came into play Think Think
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:59 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Hmm...you know, I really do like the idea of starting from scratch, actually. It would allow for power rebalancing, and some thinking-out of ideas...and potentially the incorporation of some ideas (like signets) that never fully got the chance to flourish.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
TheHobbit13 wrote:
i don’t think it was "still strong". It has lost a lot of interest over the past year/year and a half.. ever since the so called broken orcs came into play Think Think

That’s just part of it, but essentially what happened, yes.

LOTR TCG started dying a slow death after the release of Shadows. People DID like some of the new concepts, like resistance, but the death of most of the old Shadow cultures and the rotation of old fan favorites meant the game steadily lost popularity. Older players began bowing out and the numbers of new players never matched what Big D had expected the post-Shadows world would bring in. The long slumber prior to the release of Hunters (with a WIDE gap between releases) was truly the beginning of the end...the game never recovered after the number of fans that left during that period.

In other words, Decipher first overwhelmed everyone (with the new cultures), then underwhelmed everyone (with the brokenness of some of the said cultures, like Orc) and general lack of creativity. I’d take most of the DC sets created here over Big D’s last few sets any day!
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
kingmj4891
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:54 pm
Quote:
I think revising/X’ing should be limited to overpowered/broken cards, with everything else remaining as is. Even the completely useless ones like Lightfootedness and Frenzy of Arrows. My reasoning is we can simply create new cards to fill in those niches (e.g. Storm of Arrows) while minimizing the risk of alienating players who like to keep their cards as they are--especially given the lack of Decipher’s official blessing and an arbitrarily large card pool anyway.

Creating new cards is where the legal trouble can come in big, revising the game text is totally different. Since we are considering as having this as a different set we could make the errata set a choice format, and even allow players to choose which game text version they want to use but maybe limit it to either one text or another and not both. Kind or like an Special Online Expanded. Using SDA that wouldnt be hard. We have to remember no images or templates can be used for these cards because that would be breaking decipher’s and new line’s copyrights.

I don’t think every card needs to be rewritten and revised, personally I think that goblin runner is dumb. We should compose a list of 25-75 cards from the fellowship block at first and rewrite their text for this revised set.
A dream card contest could be set up for this after a list of cards can be gathered. I think all X-listed and r-listed cards should be on the list, that leaves room for the weak dumb cards such as lightfootedness and dwarf guard. Example Dwarf Guard could just be errttaed to say like Hunter 2 or 3, to at least make him playable in a deck besides Gandy’s burning time. Also

I think this should be a complete new dc contest because it will give all players a chance to input. So who is with me, Lets get the list together and start this thing already, it should have started after Age’s End, and this way we can errata some cards to help change up the current meta.

These should probably be the first 21 cards because of the x-list and r-list then probably 30-50 more???

Dwarven Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-race
Elven Galadriel, Lady of Light
Elven Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
Gandalf Ottar, Man of Laketown
Gondor Flaming Brand
Gondor No Stranger to the Shadows
Gondor Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Gondor Horn of Boromir
Isengard The Palantir of Orthanc
Isengard Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
Isengard Saruman’s Snows
Isengard Savagery to Match Their Numbers
Moria Relics of Moria
Sauron Forces of Mordor
Shire Bill the PonyShire] Frying Pan
Shire Sam, Son of Hamfast
Shire The Shire Countryside
Shire Sting
Shire A Talent for Not Being Seen
Wraith Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
Wraith Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm
kingmj4891 wrote:
Dwarven Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-race
Elven Galadriel, Lady of Light
Elven Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
Gandalf Ottar, Man of Laketown
Gondor Flaming Brand
Gondor No Stranger to the Shadows
Gondor Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Gondor Horn of Boromir
Isengard The Palantir of Orthanc
Isengard Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
Isengard Saruman’s Snows
Isengard Savagery to Match Their Numbers
Moria Relics of Moria
Sauron Forces of Mordor
Shire Bill the PonyShire] Frying Pan
Shire Sam, Son of Hamfast
Shire The Shire Countryside
Shire Sting
Shire A Talent for Not Being Seen
Wraith Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
Wraith Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow

A lot of the stuff here isn’t broken, though. Namely...

Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain Race
Flaming Brand
Saruman’s Snows
Savagery to Match Their Numbers
Frying Pan
Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
Ferny, SSF

The problem with Errata is that its never fun to find out your cards don’t play as they say. So, here’s an idea I’ve had for a while.

Ban anything that’s OP. Meaning no Faithful Stone, no Lackey, no Gorn’s Bow, no Mumak Commander, GATS, no Pallando, Dark Approach, Troll’s Keyward, Goblin Hordes, No Visitors, Pavise, etc, etc.

Of course, we’d keep standard and the new x-list would be for a new PPE format, but a mass banning would, IMO, bring the game into balance a lot easier then errata, both for the players and the people operating the errata. There are still a lot of great cards out there that can keep the game interesting.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
kingmj4891
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm
since NBarden edited his post this is no longer necessary.

Except that Nbarden has no idea what he is talking about.
Last edited by kingmj4891 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gartax
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:24 pm
All depens in wich format you play

Nertea IS BROKEN

Imagine him in a MT deck that add a ton of twilight with warg and those 2 orc from ROs that add twilight....

even in a moria deck he is broken

Frying pan, Gimli are NPE ( imagine mouving always in undergrond)

Flaming Brand should be unique

Snow (as long as Nertea remaine in a x-list) and savagery should be ok

Snow and Nertea combo is too strong you just put a few isen orc in your deck and 2 snow you keep 1 in your hand and bang you swarm with nertea bring back a snow no sirmish event or ability.........

as for ferny i don’t know......

Remember that a card was Xed because it can be an NPE.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:30 pm
If Snow’s broken, then so is Pillage of Rohan.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Hobbiton Lad
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 pm
It’s really a lot cleaner if you start over with a "2nd Edition" mentality rather than try to fix the problems with a massive pool of cards. You just look at things one set at a time, fix the problems, and then move on from there.

So, for starters, we could work on Fellowship of the Ring 2E. Then Mines of Moria 2E, and finish up the block with Realms of the Elf Lords 2E. Within Fellowship block alone there are enough problem cards (and useless cards) to keep things busy for a while.

This way, you’re not really "creating" new cards. You’re just fixing the old ones, but within a controlled environment that allows you to focus solely on one particular set at a time without having to worry about 18 sets worth of metagame.
kingmj4891
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 pm
Quote:
The problem with Errata is that its never fun to find out your cards don’t play as they say.

Errata online is not that way, unless your a retarded monkey(sorry to any retarded monkeys present) I think you would be ok in knowing what your cards did. Your idea is ok but it wont work, because too many people like there power cards, so the best way to deal with them is to let them be, or replace them with more overpowered cards, thats how TCGs work always have always will.

The 2E sounds way to complicated, I would prefer an easier approach to errata with virtual cards sets like the PC did with SWCCG.......

And as far as broken cards go, I have been a player since day 1 ok, so don’t say whats broken about cards from the fellowship block because those cards are defiantly OP and NPE’s.........

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion