LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
menace64 wrote:
That’s not quite true, Mr. Lurtzy. The Rings gifted to Men were weak, much weaker than even the Three Rings. Those Nine Rings simply didn’t have the Power to extend life such as occurred. The Nine, the Seven, and the Three were all crafted under control of the One. Those other rings were just a ruse to get the Free Peoples under Sauron’s control.

The nine were great rings and they did extend life. They were of the 21 great rings and were quite powerful. Tolkein said that the nazgul were kings, sorcerors, and warriors of old. We all (should) know that the nazgul are very old and very powerful. Also the three rings that were crafted by celebrimbor did not get crafted with sauron’s help (although they were inspired by his design) so that is why the elves did not turn to wraiths. Their long life (limited immortality) was not due to their rings.
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 am
Elessar’s Socks wrote:
The Witch-king was effectively, essentially dead like a fart in the wind.

LMAO Laughing Eloquently put ES! GP
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
TheHobbit13
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:42 pm
i personally don’t think eowyn killed the witchking for he said no man can kill me Eowyn is a man... so i for the most part agree with meance.

Pippen you should be shot for bumping this thread Laughing
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:46 pm
Eowyn was a woman last time I checked.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:51 pm
Ah, now the crux of the argument comes into play. Did Tolkien mean man as in male or man as in human? Think

Either way, the Witch-king’s final undoing came when the Ring was destroyed. Eowyn and Merry just put him out of play for a while, so to speak.
I had to put something here.
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:10 pm
I’d say just as in male for that one thing but usually I think Tolkein wrote about man as the race.
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:33 pm
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
I read that Tolkien was fond of certain aspects of Shakespeare, such as the fact that MacBeth could not be killed by a man born of woman (then was killed by a man who had been born by Ceserean section). I believe that this is where he got his inspiration for the situation with Eowyn confronting the Witch-King (and the WK not being able to be killed by a man).

By the way, I also read that he was somewhat disappointed in other aspects of Shakespeare, for in MacBeth, he had hoped that the forest really would move (thus signalling that MacBeth’s death was near). He was disappointed when the movement of the forest was really a bunch of guys who had cut down trees to use as cover. It seems that he may have tried to right this wrong (well, it was wrong in his mind, methinks Laughing ) by creating the Ents and Huorns. This way, the forest really did move!

Anyways, this is just a side note, back to the crux of your argument, and I will stand aside and watch! Very Happy
Trade With Me, I went to Middle Earth, and all I got was this stupid ring!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.
gil-estel
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 pm
Joined: 25 Apr 2007 Posts: 545 Location: Groningen, the Netherlands
Well, I took the copy of the book and reread the part. I have the Fellowship in English, Two Towers in english, but Return of the King I don’t have in english, so I can’t literally quote. But after Merry put the sword in to the Witch-King it was said that a shriek voice was heared and never to be heared during that era. That doesn’t imply that the dude is dead, but it also isn’t clear that he stayed around just without a physical form, which they had not....
But later, when Theoden had died and Eomer had found him as well as he found Eowyn, Merry was somewhat left behind on the battlefield, being sad and all, it was said that no stronger steel could have done the damage that Merry’s sword did. It broke the spell that hold the invisible body together.....
Well to put an end to my input: for me he’s dead! Can’t imagine him to come back...
My trading list
My main wants
My refs
Pippin
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:16 pm
TheHobbit13 wrote:
Pippen you should be shot for bumping this thread Laughing

Shocked Let’s not get too hasty here. Laughing
as Pipeweed once said: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeClick Here Please!
Cobra Cards: Dying body filled with thriving cells.
My have's and wantsPopcornMy trade refrences
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 pm
well, you are a hobbit.
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion