LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
orian
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:21 am
well... if you see site control and last days, ferny is somewhere here

if you see little easterlings and last days, ferny is somewhere here

for myself, I never lost to ferny in 13 post-hunters tournaments online, and that with playing 6 different decks. The simple thing (but I know that doesn’t sound simple ^^) - don’t let him set things up. a hand has only 8 cards and if you break conditions, have direct woundings, ways of exert, whatever, that’s as many cards he needs to keep in hand if he wants to kill you. That weakens his fellowships, that’s very difficult for him Smile

so all in all I generally don’t tech against ferny Smile if you stay calm against him you have all your chances (of course if your opponent drops a 28str Ferny site3 , that’s life I guess ^^)

the cards that saved me the most against little Bill:
- gandalf deck: sent back, the palantir of orthanc
- rohan deck: eowyn, lady of ithilien
- gondor deck: drawing his eye, ithilien blade
- dwarven deck: blood runs chill
+ any way of site changing, especially travelled leader which is the best against Bill because unexpected

another thing is: when ferny is wounded on the table, you can move and move and move again far more easily so don’t let the opportunity pass or you will never make it (if you’re not planning to kill, of course ^^)

and so on...
as usual, the level of players is very important to determine who survives to who
orian - the French pirate, the Bloody Bastard
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:26 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Oh, Sent Back would be awesome. I never think about its skirmish ability. Just about its Fellowship ability.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
michael knight
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:37 am
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 105 Location: Above the Law, Ohio
Last Days is great, but I always try to have at least one Ferny in the discard pile in case Last days gets killed I can still play him with the easterling. If you wipe the support area and have a decent ringbearer you will be ok. I don’t really care about last days as much as stragglers. a 4 strength ferny is not so scary...But vs. an alternate RB fighting ferny every site will be rough, even if he is only a 4 strength.
exerting ferny and then not killing him is a great move. You know that deck can’t do much without ferny, so with a wounded ferny on the board you can move all you want and not worry too much.

Orion: Have you played against the chieftain of dunland version?
One Man Can Make A Difference
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Stragglers? I don’t think that could do much good, unless Ferny never gets assigned at all. Ferny only puts out 1 or 2 minions each turn, so they’ll all get assigned for sure by the skirmish phase.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:00 pm
Yes, but Last Days and the Easterlings will ensure that there’s at least one unassigned minion during Ferny’s skirmish, so Stragglers can make use of them.
All cards do what they say.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:04 pm
I see. Very Happy
syndrome
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm
Lathspell kills the strong ringbearer motion... at least from possessions.
http://myspace/delicatesituation
michael knight
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 pm
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 105 Location: Above the Law, Ohio
I use stragglers with caravan from the south to load them up with tokens. use the easterling discard guys to play ferny and some column of easterlings. Ferny will skirmish first. discard a column to pump ferny, and play a guy with last days. do it as many times as you can, then stragglers spots those new minions for strength. All you need is one or two unassigned minions out to make it work.
One Man Can Make A Difference
orian
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:37 am
Phazanzar wrote:
Lathspell kills the strong ringbearer motion... at least from possessions.

yes but it’s another waste of space most ferny decks cannot afford Wink you have very limited slots because you obvisouly want site control cards / pumps to arrive as soon as possible
orian
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:41 am
michael knight wrote:

Orion: Have you played against the chieftain of dunland version?

yep sure, it was the most played online at hunters release, far more than stragglers version that relied heavily on conditions, which at the time were very difficult to keep on the table, ents being everywhere.

I think at the moment there are three versions running:
- pure site control, very efficient but long to set up. I would call it the risky one because against a running opponent, if you get jammed at least a little it is very difficult to come back. also without pumps you are very much afraid of cavern entrance

- pure pumps, very strong from the start but afraid of special cards (shadowplay being the best example) and of ferny getting wounded, because only Ferny can be dangerous in this version

- toolbox version, the one I play, with a decent site control, but other ways of killing(4x gathering strength, wold battlefield + site manipulation in fellowship, mumak commanders and riders...) . I like this version of course, being one of the creators but it demands a lot of sacrifice at the free peoples level, and it demands a far higher level of play that the two other versions, but all in all its versatility proves that well paired it’s a killer deck.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions