LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Beyo
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:51 pm
--- description ---
Article focused on most forgotten turn phase - Regroup. How its actions may be key to your win - analysis for shadow side.
--- end description ---

When playing Shadow cards the most important phase in which you can perform actions is skirmish and archery. Archery gives additional damage to fellowship and skirmish is key phase of almost every deck - if you not survive skirmishes you will often loose game- sooner or later.

But..what to do in regroup? As I said this is often most forgotten phase in game due to fact that FP players want to include many skirmish event and posessions in their deck and Shadow Side acts rather in skirmish and archery.
Regroup actions may give strong advantage when playing sauron or nazgul culture.Take a look at this example:

4R30 No Retreat x4
4R6 Constantly Threatening x2
8C106 Siege Troop x4
1R256 Morgul Hunter (foil) x2
1R240 Band of the Eye (foil) x2
5R100 Grishnákh, Orc Captain x3
6U105 Peril x3
4U11 Dunlending Looter (foil) x2
4C4 Band of Wild Men x2
4R19 Hides x3
6R6 Hill Clan x2
6C100 Dead Ones x3
6C108 Wisp of Pale Sheen x3
2U87 The Eye of Sauron x3

This is big 38 cards site but key cards are in 4 or 3 copies. This side is based around two cards: Peril and No Retreat. Whole success depends on how early you get those card on hand.

Strategy notes:

1)We must play sauron orcs especially Siege Troop. I choose these minions because of strong probability of surviving skirmishes.
2) Grishnak provides cycling ability and even if opponont choose rather to add burdens we still can draw cards from Eye of Sauron
3) Dunland minions..not so cheap maybe but with vitality 2. We want them be played from discard if fellowship moves(but it WILL move again..and another Man goes on table:)
4) Constantly treatening - some would replace it with ready to fall..it need site control but who cares, we have Siege Troop.
5) Sauron Wraiths - i dont have idea how to include them as standalone culture so i put them here because they are cheap ( and roaming to site 4)
and their regroup burden-adding ability.
6) Hides - cycling ability + protection of dunland.
7) Burdens - with Shagrat and Whisps you are able to add 10 burdens. If not - remove remaining burdens to play Dead Ones or to use with Eye of Sauron
I am aware this deck will be hard to play and needs some good cycling FP side..perhaps the best choice are Elves with their Alliance Reforged.
There is little cooperation here between dunland and sauron and they acts rather as 2 separate cultures mixed together but with Dunlending Looter stacked on site previously controlled by Siege Troop you may be able to do little swarm Twisted Evil

Ringwraiths
Regroup ability is rather something new introduced to Nazgul culture which always benefited from corruption or skirmish strength.
You may use this ability in King Block Nazgul deck or in cooperation with Sauron,but how? There is Spied From Above twin sister card of Peril

But why put into play exhausted minions? The most effective is of course enduring mechanic of Nazgul - exert Siege Troop twice..put into play 2 enduring Nazgul for 0 or 1 twilight and I’m sure your opponent won’t move again..and if so..he will have to fight with Black/Red swarm.
Also if fellowship move again there is still possibility that it will lack of initiative..so Ulaire Lemenya,Wraith on Wings will enters in regroup and add a burden. Lemenya with Whisp can be quite effective "regroup
corruption" deck but i haven’t tested it yet on tournament.
You can replace e.g Siege Troop for The Witch King 11R226 to have additional card draw in regroup thanks to "muster" ability Laughing
And additionaly try use Ulaire Nelya,Black Mantled Wraith to exert more ring-bound companions...in many plays you will find only ring bearer capable of taking such wounds Cool

General note: choose your cards carefully to balance number of sauron and nazgul minions and try not to loose skirmishes. If u know how to create such deck let mi know.Smile

Isengard - of course, how can it be? Article on regroup phase without mentioning about Isengard?
This early incarnations of "White Hand" culture introduced Orcs rather than Uruk-Hai. All Isengard Orcs not being warg-riders have their regroup special abilities and properly used thet will devestate every fellowship.
Warg-riders has also opportunity to regroup wounding thanks to Wolves of Isengard.
I created once combo deck of Orcs and Warg-riders but it never was efficient so I think making such deck are not possible.

And thats all. I am not provides strategy of Isengard orcs because there is one post in Deck Clinic related to it so I hope with this little article you will be able to build regroup based deck what are still seldom seen in most local metas..Smile

Remember..Retreat..Regroup and Re-attack!
Time in the universe may be eternal..our patience is not
AdultLink
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:09 am
The only thing that seems shaky to me is that you only have 6 dunland minions with which to use your 4 versions of No retreat. A tough combo to get in a deck with 76 cards... I liked your clear writing style! Very Happy
Haves/Wants
Beyo
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:50 pm
Thanks. Laughing
This deck is experimental, I think you may force FP player to move again only 1 or 2 times in whole game and that is enough to create a swarm, so i put 4 copies as protection vs nasty condition removal. Even when Dunland fail there is still chance that Orcs finish the job Smile
AdultLink
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:12 pm
That's a good point, and also at first glance I didn't notice that you had constantly threatening out (do you know how fun it would be to make them move 3 times if they had Radagast out! Very Happy ). Maybe also you should add in 3 Orc Fighter instead of the Dead Ones?
Haves/Wants
Beyo
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:16 pm
Yees...very fun. I think the best choice is to move first and go more than 2 sides once forcing opponent to go after you.Then you put minions in regroup and make FP player crazy...
I don't have Orc fighter i think in my collection so maybe some another substitute.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest