LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
The First
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:25 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Well, I could see it work w/o Niv, and with Mindmoil, if you use enough cantrips like Electrolyse so you can do some damage, cycle and keep your handsize (which is very important for Mindmoil I guess). I’ve been thinking about - don’t laugh - Glitterfang. For only R, you cycle your entire hand, every time again, and keep the same handsize. I don’t know if this would be useful though.

I have the feeling that Niv is a win more card (a bit like Circu in mill decks kinda feeling - seems to fit but very expensive and easily killed). I’d focus on the mindmoil and try to think of some fun stuf to do with it.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:31 pm
I have a feeling that glitterfang is a win more card. If you have mizzet and moil, you already won so...

I think Mizzet is a little bit of a win-more card, but this is still a fun-looking deck Very Happy
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:34 pm
Wow, no need to have that warning (don’t laugh), Glitterfang is pretty good with Mindmoil. It’s a nice red 1-drop to set off the Moil, as you say, and can work the Raging Goblin position first turn. I’d say it should go in, if there is room for it.
As for the ripple, I think since early on this deck doesn’t want to pass up any good cards, ripple might hurt you, say if you ripple just because and miss your chance at mindmoil that you didn’t have in your hand. Then again, ripple is a "may", so you could just play the spells early and ignore the ripple, but then you’re not getting 100% from your cards Razz.
I want to see a good ripple deck, but this isn’t it I don’t think.
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:51 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Wow, good to see all the discussion, AND to see that people actually LIKED the deck! I found it MUCH fun to play with! I’ve been thinking I could cut Hinder from the SB and SG Mnemonic Nexus, since, as you guys wisely pointed out, will only be needed against milling, and that’s not very usual... I’d then MD 2 Sensei’s Divining Top. How’s that for changes?
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:52 pm
Changes look good. Good to know our input is appreciated Very Happy
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
ure_d_best
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:21 am
Good deck built around mindmoil and niv-mizzet. Interesting but definitely need minor improvements to make it more competitive.

If you are running Urza’s land, you should run Demonfire main, if not you can just go with the island and mountain. Also, having 22 lands is low, need to increase it to 23. Since this is control. I suggest you always start with 24 lands, and for every 1 land drop, you should have 4 mana producer permanent (e.g. 4 signets) to make up for it.

Drop the Mnemonic Nexus and you could add spell snare or hinder main. You can also reduce 1 pyroclasm but this depends in your metagame, but 3 should be good enough main.

You may try transformational sideboard for fun to a more competive U/R build in form of U/R Tron, adding wildfires and go with Keiga, Demonfire and Invoke for the win.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:52 am
Thing is, Spell Snare really doesn’t have much room, and in my meta I need the 4 Pyroclasms to survive. Tron uses 3 because it ALSO has Wildfire. I’ve built the deck with the switchboardfor UrzaTron-Fire, initially, but since the MD itself is for casual play (I mean, if you’d enter a tournament with Tron-Fire, you’d DEFINITELY not bring a sideboard for my Moil-Frenzy), I decided to add a "casual" SB. Although, the suggestion IS nice, since it is what I did at first! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:54 pm
Late review... My main concern is what others have already said -- that the Urza lands seem a bit fragile without land search or a lot of card-drawing. Not sure exactly what to cut, but I’d say you’d be well served by leaning a bit more towards offense rather than defense. Get your combo and UrzaTron out early enough, and you won’t have many problems.

"There are wrong answers, but there are no wrong threats," you know. Wink

Anyway, you’ve got a well-written article with some very nice ideas -- 4 from me.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:07 pm
Tks! 4 for an article I’ve written on a fun deck, rather than a competitive one! Pretty cool!!!
Man, this deck’s just SO funny, just look at the other guy’s face when he realizes where you’re going, killing him basically for speeding up you deck, with nothing he can do! Laughing Twisted Evil
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest