LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

66%
  [ 6 ]  66%

22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04 pm
--- description ---
This article tells how to use the Uruk-hai Hunters, while constructing a Shadow decklist.
--- end description ---

In The Two Towers set, we got a cool new strategy: Isengard trackers. They were fierce, and liked putting search conditions on companions and then beating those companions into a pulp. The strategy didn’t receive many new cards in the next few sets, so the deck quickly went out of style. But once The Hunters was released, we got the Isengard trackers in a different form, and this time they are in the Uruk-hai culture and they have the Hunter keyword instead of the Tracker keyword.

The Uruk-hai trackers excel at exerting companions and then finishing them off. They are also all Hunters, which can be nasty against older decks. Plus, most of them are fierce, instead of being damage +1 like most Uruks.

One of the key cards in this deck is With All Possible Speed, a condition that is surprisingly good. The first part makes each unwounded Uruk-hai hunter strength +1, which can be just enough to get in a couple extra wounds. The second part is more powerful: each time an Uruk-hai hunter takes a wound during a skirmish, you can discard the hunter to exert a non-hunter companion. That means that even if your minion loses the skirmish, he gets back at you, possibly doing more damage than he would normally since you can exert someone already assigned to a skirmish.

You would be crazy not to include Violent Hurl in this deck. Since all of your minions are hunters (with the exception of 1 minion), this event makes one of them strength +2 and damage +1. There aren’t many events that make minions damage +1, and believe me this can be a real surprise to your opponent, often finishing someone off.

The first minion and most powerful minion that you should use is Ugluk, Ugly Fellow:

(4) •Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
Minion • Uruk-hai
9/3/5
Fierce. Hunter 3.
At the start of each skirmish involving Ugluk, each non-hunter skirmishing Ugluk must exert.
15 R 172

He is relatively cheap, yet has the easy potential to be 12 strength, and in addition to being fierce he exerts the companion he is skirmishing. For 4 twilight, you can get a monster of a minion.

The Following Uruk has good stats, and packs a powerful punch for so cheap a minion. He too can deal out 4 wound tokens. Seeking Uruk is a bit weaker in his first skirmish, but can soar to more impressive strength during the fierce skirmish.

Tracking Uruk is a strong, medium-cost brute, who normally only deals out one wound, but can overwhelm weaker companions. Sentry Uruk copies other characters stats, adding them to his own. This can be potentially very strong; play a Violent Hurl on him, and he changes from damage +0 to a damage +2 minion.

Mauhur is the special-ops minion, allowing you to assign him to fight almost anyone. He is a great way to finish off an exhausted companion, or overwhelm a weakling. You can also use Violent Hurl with him to finish off someone who normally would be out of harms way.

Isengard Sword is a normal weapon that makes overwhelming much easier. In addition, if the current site is Moria Stairway, it can wreak havoc if you equip Ugluk with the sword, as he becomes a fierce and damage +1 minion that exerts the companion he is skirmishing.

To finish off the decklist, I also include Shingle in a Storm. Decks that play over 5 companions are a pain, and this card quickly neutralizes them. Also, if they bid high or Frodo is forced to take burdens, then you can discard it to force some assignments.

Shadow (32)

Ugluk, Ugly Fellow x4
Mauhur, Relentless Hunter x4
Following Uruk x3
Seeking Uruk x3
Tracking Uruk x3
Sentry Uruk x2
Isengard Sword x3
Shingle in a Storm x3
With All Possible Speed x3
Violent Hurl x4

Oh, and one more thing: sites. Include Moria Stairway to have some fun with damage, Anduin Banks to make them regret playing so many companions, Rohan Uplands to protect the Uruks, and Westfold Village to make the Uruks strength +1. Other sites can be included for your Shadow, or you can make them benefit your Free Peoples player.

I’ve playtested this deck at home, and once you get the hang of things it is hard to stop. You learn some cool little strategies, like assigning Mauher to the strongest companion so Ugluk kills the weaker people. I suggest giving it a try, and stock up on Ugluks and With All Possible Speed, because they are worth the couple $$$.

This deck would probably work well with a Rohan deck; if the Shadow doesn’t work out so well, then the Rohirrim can race to the end, using the Theoden from Bloodlines, Radagast, or Riding Like the Wind.

Thanks for reading this far, and please comment on the deck, and let me know what you like/dislike about it.
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:37 pm
Very informative, concise, and clear.
I had to put something here.
AdultLink
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Once again, AnxiousChieftain has contributed an excellent article. Well done. I enjoyed it because I hadn't as of yet delved into looking at the new Isengard hunters.
Haves/Wants
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:25 pm
Thanks guys! I wanted to write an article about a new strategy in The Hunters, and the Uruk Hunters came to mind first. Glad to hear you both enjoyed it. Cool
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
ingold55
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
good article, but to make it a bit more readable, why don't you put card names in italics. it would help the article to be a bit more clear.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:15 pm
ingold55 wrote:
good article, but to make it a bit more readable, why don't you put card names in italics. it would help the article to be a bit more clear.

I think it's silly to give me a 3 (assuming it was you that gave me a 3) for what you consider a good article just because that doesn't use italics for card titles, Thanks for the comment, but I don't think the italics are needed. They would really seem out of place to me.

Still, your opinion is your opinion and I'm not going to try to make you change it.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Grashopper
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 am
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Schalbruch, Germany
Well-written article. I've always loved uruks, and you have some good tips. 4 from me..
Check out this Online Strategy TCG:
StarChamber
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:47 pm
Thanks, Grashopper. Smile
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest