LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
hblika
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:30 am
How does Reckless We Rode work? Let’s say I have 3 archer companions in play. Originally I though this meant my archery total was 3, and I coul use Reckless We Rode to wound a minion 3 times. But after reading the rules a bit more carefully (Comprehensive Rulebook Chapter 4, page 5), I’m pretty sure I’ve been playing this card wrong.

Since I start the archery phase with an archery total of 0, and then count the number of archers AFTER all archery actions have been performed, I’m thinking I have to play events raising my archery total to +X before I can use Reckless We Rode. Can anyone confirm this?
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:38 am
You always have an archery total. If you have 3 archers in play, your archery total is 3, and thus Reckless We Rode can reduce it by up to 3 to wound a minion up to 3 times.
All cards do what they say.
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:15 am
bibfortuna25 wrote:
You always have an archery total. If you have 3 archers in play, your archery total is 3, and thus Reckless We Rode can reduce it by up to 3 to wound a minion up to 3 times.

once again, bib to the rescue! Very Happy
hblika
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51 am
That’s how I have been playing it, BUT:

Comprehensive Rulebook wrote:

Perform archery actions
During this phase, players may perform archery actions (special abilities on cards in play with “Archery:” and events with that keyword) using the action procedure. When all players consecutively pass, conduct archery fire.

Archery fire
All Shadow players count the number of all their minions with the keyword archer to determine the “minion archery total.” No matter how many Shadow players there are, there is only one minion archery total.
As the Free Peoples player, you also count the number of your Free Peoples archer companions to determine the “fellowship archery total.”
Archery Phase Summary
• Perform archery actions
• Determine archery totals for each side.
• Free Peoples player assigns archery wounds to his companions (and participating allies).
• Free Peoples player chooses one Shadow player.
• That Shadow player assigns archery wounds to his minions.

According to this, the archery total isn’t determined until after all archery actions have been played, thus I’m assuming that the sequence is as follows:
1) You start the archery phase with the default archery total of 0.
2) You may play cards adding, or subtracting, to the archery total, making the archery total +/-X.
3) All archery actions have been performed, and you count the number of companions/minions with the archery keyword, and adds the number from 2) to this count.

From this I’m reading that when using archery actions, I only make adjustments to the archery total modifier, thus starting the archery phase with an archery total of 0 and a archery total modifier of +/-0. So, in order to use Reckless We Rode to wound a minion X times, I would have to raise the archery total modifier to +X first.

Please correct me (with an explanation) if I’m wrong.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:37 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Whoa, that doesn’t sound like the way D intended it.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Cobra
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:43 pm
The only interpretation that makes any sense is Bib’s: "You always have an archery total." When you reach the archery fire step, you’re not creating a new archery total, you’re just counting what was already there.

That entry could use some rewriting, I think.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:38 pm
Although the rules say that you determine your archery total at the end of the phase, it doesn’t say that’s the only time you determine it.

For example, the rules say that a companion’s and a minion’s strength are compared at the end of their skirmish. But there are plenty of other times when you perform an action based on one character’s strength (Aragorn, Thorongil comes to mind).
All cards do what they say.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Now talk about a perfect answer! Gp fot that! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
hblika
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:53 pm
Thanks bib! Exactly the arguments I was looking for Smile GP awarded!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions