LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
hblika
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:21 am
I need some help designing a good Rohan beatdown deck for expanded format. For some reason I have always struggled making good Rohan beatdown decks. I find defining the core of the fellowship pretty easy, but I’ve never managed to fill it out so it becomes good, instead of average.

I’d like to design a beatdown fellowship revolving around culture tokens, and

Also, it should be mono-culture (except for Frodo Ring-bearer). Under no circumstances should it be centered around exerting/wounding/archery (so no Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien or Merry’s Sword).

So far I’m thinking of a deck like :

Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
Eowyn, Restless Warrior (s)
Eomer, Horsemaster (s)

Gamling, The Old
Theoden, The Renowed
Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark
Riders of the Mark (or maybe Rohirrim Army)

Firefoot, Mearas of the Mark
Snowmane, Noble Mearas

Eomer’s Spear (from TT)
Eowyn’s Sword, Derhelm’s Blade
Herugrim, Sword of the Mark

Ride With Me x 4 (IMO, one of the best FP events ever made)
Simbelmyne x 4
Wind-swept Homestead x 3

The idea is to use Frodo and Eowyn add tokens to Wind-swept Homestead. Eomer, Theoden and Gamling should be the main fighters. I’ve chosen The Ring of Doom, since Rohan so far only has two Hunter companions, and for the price of 1 burden, Frodo can put on the Ring and make sure Gamling receives his strength bonus.

As you can see, there’s only 22 cards listed here, so I need some advise on which cards should fill out this fellowship. Upper limit should be 32 cards.
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:18 am
You deffinately need some more possessions (like additional hand weapons and mounts) for your companions. If this deck is token based, where are the cards that use tokens? I see only firefoot. Rohan tokens probably arent good enough to be inculded in a ’more than average’ deck right now, simply becasue there arent enough cards for them. Take out your exrta companions, like the Riders of the Mark/Rohirrim army. If you don’t have enough possessions for the companions that are left, take out the extras. Try to have about 5 companions, and put in more protection for frodo. If you do use tokens, you will need a hard-hitting shadow, since you’ll probably want to go second to get your tokens on Wind-Swept Homestead. If your including TT cards, why not use the TT eowyn’s sword? this one doesn’t help you much. Well-Stored, Guma, and Halfwine make a nice combonation. We left none alive is an ok token card. Why don’t I see any coif or Rider’s Bow? Very good in any rohan deck. Finally, the new follower Rohirrim Doorwarden can’t be beat if your looking for a strength boost.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
hblika
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:47 am
elf lvr wrote:
If this deck is token based, where are the cards that use tokens? I see only firefoot. I see only firefoot. Rohan tokens probably arent good enough to be inculded in a ’more than average’ deck right now, simply becasue there arent enough cards for them.

Snowmane also reinforces a token, and so does Eowyn on the double move. And if I chose to give Frodo muster, he’ll reinforce a token as well.

elf lvr wrote:
If your including TT cards, why not use the TT eowyn’s sword? this one doesn’t help you much. Well-Stored, Guma, and Halfwine make a nice combonation.

Allies are in general not a very good strategy, and to get our an effective ally-combo early in the game, I would have to use far too many card slots.

elf lvr wrote:
Try to have about 5 companions, and put in more protection for frodo.

Normally I will have no more than 5 companions in play at any given time, but it’s a pretty basic rule of deck building to have a spare companion or two, in case one or more of your main companions dies. Any experienced LOTR player knows this. Extra companions are also needed in case you’re facing a swarming shadow.

Regarding Frodo protection, I will put in a sword and a copy of The Tale of the Great Ring.

elf lvr wrote:
Why don’t I see any coif or Rider’s Bow? Why don’t I see any coif or Rider’s Bow? Very good in any rohan deck. Finally, the new follower Rohirrim Doorwarden can’t be beat if your looking for a strength boost.

That’s because the decklist provided is far from complete. I agree though that Rider’s Bow is a good choice, depending on how many events I decide to include. I agree that The Rohirrim Doorwarden is very good, but I would need at least 2 card slots for him, (or a few card slots for Last Days of My House), and I’m not sure if I can fit that in.
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:42 am
Hmm. Well what I meant was What cards do you have that USE tokens. There are only Firefoot and Snowmane, is it really worth the card slots to put in the token stuff? Your right, allies can be a little hard to set up.

And for the rest of it, i hope you try to put some in your deck.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
legolamb
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:22 pm
I Suggest using Rohirrim Army and Riders of Rohan, I have a Good Rohan deck and I might post it. I also don’t think Rohan Culture tokens are very good. Again, there aren’t enough cards to make it worth it. I would also expand the maximum amount of cards to 36 or 38. My deck is about 40. It’s big but it works. Wink
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:29 pm
Thank you lord! another fan of larger decks!

However, I do protest the usage of Riders of Rohan or Rohirrim army, they just have never seemed to work for me...

Tokens are, right now, an unstable theme at best.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
hblika
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:32 am
Rohan tokens work very well with Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples though. I’m now leaning towards making a sort of updated HiDaN deck instead Smile

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded