LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Cobra
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:34 am
You guys are great, but I wish there were more of you! From what I’ve heard, most of you feel the same way, so if you’re interested in bumping the popularity of our Magic: the Gathering forums up a few notches, read on.

First off, here’s what you can do to help promote the forums:

1) Spread the word. I certainly wouldn’t ask anyone to "advertise," but I believe we’re developing some pretty good resources here that deserve mention! If a friend wants help with his deck design, point him to our Deck Clinic. If you’re discussing the best cards of Coldsnap on some other forum, we’ve got a perfect article/discussion thread to link to. And of course, there’s the one and only MTG Riddle Game... Wink

2) Be more active in different areas. Visitors are a lot more likely to become members if they perceive the forums as busy, and especially if they bump into a thread they want to respond to. Not everything has to be a work of strategic brilliance -- simply pasting your trade lists, tournament results, half-baked deck ideas, etc. will be very helpful.

Now, what else can I do? I am definitely open to suggestions...

Whatever promotional efforts I choose to pursue, I’d like to have an "angle" -- something that makes our forums unique, a reason why people would want to come here rather than somewhere else.

La_Sin_Grail once mentioned that he liked the Cobra Cards community because it’s NOT full of know-it-all, cutthroat players, and is therefore a lot more friendly. Cool That might be a good angle.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? (Why do YOU spend time here, rather than at one of the older and bigger forums?)

Thanks all! -- Cobra
Last edited by Cobra on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:47 am; edited 1 time in totalhttp://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:12 am
Hey Cobra!
I play at a games/comics shop a lot, and they are open to posting things on the walls. I bet some kind of printout that mentions the deck clinic and the MTG riddle would get a fair amout of traffic Wink
Howabout making up some spiffy looking ads so we can spread the word? I will do my best with word-of-mouth, but I’m not there 24/7 Razz
Here’s hoping it works!
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
physcosick
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:36 pm
Idea How bout a little bit of perks for us for getting members to go to the site? I mean, the more magic players there are, the more articles there will be, which means we have a less chance of winning each month. I know that it is the only reason to come to this site but it is the only reason I came to it in the first place because that’s what made it different. But let’s just say that, for example, you tell a friend about the site and they get an account and start posting some, they PM you and tell you they were sent by [insert guy’s name] and you give that named member, lets just say off the top of my head for the purpose of this suggestion, 5 dollars in credit. Of course I think for your benefit there should be a limit on how many members you can add or the time period in which you can do such things. Perhaps each person has a specific number of people maximum that they can add to the site for credit, and this promotion only lasts for... idk... a month...

It was just an example of how you could make us more willing. Personally, I don’t mind the size of the forum for magic, I get all the deck help I could ever need from friends around my meta and from aim convos, so the article contest is what attracted me to this place and it also keeps me here because I can build decks and get help for them anytime i want, I just have difficulty being able to make the decks with the cards I have avialable.

As for your angle, I think amateurs being able to come and write articles for their chance to win free cards is enough of an angle. But it seems right now we have a decent group of people that are fair in their ratings and criteques, before I left back than there were quite a bit of people who seemed to be out for blood... so it would be maladaptive to bring in members that will create such a fuss for us.

but you got to do what you got to do

Edit: I’m just nit-picking here, but one thing that bugs me about the deck clinic is that all of the decks are together. If you could perhaps have sub-forums inside the Deck Clinic forum for different formats and than move the decks to the appropriate sub-forums it would not only make the deck clinic cleaner and more organized, but would also do this by not cluttering up the main forum page. You could have Vintage, Legacy, Extended, Standard, Limited/Block, and Other (others for multiplayer decks and other formats like type 4 and highlander).
The First
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:25 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
A few things to attract more people could be;

- add some advertising at the front page for these forums. I only discovered the community "by accident". I always thought about Cobracards as a card shop - thanks to advertising on the LotR forums.

- add some more cathegories. Magic players are used to different cathegories; eg dump extended decks into an extanded forum, standard ones into a standard forum, multiplayer in multiplayer... or make sure that when posting a deck, you can classify it as casual, standard or extended etc. resulting in a keyword in the topic title for instance.

- The angle that makes these boards nice is that there aren’t that many people and you learn to know them and their style pretty easily. That’s what makes these boards special IMO. There are also a lot of "old" LotR members around here that I know.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:10 pm
BrianBoitano:
I’ll try to get you a flyer at some point. Very Happy

Physcosick & The First:
I definitely like the idea of splitting the MTG Deck Clinic up into sub-sections for different formats. (I might try this with LOTR as well!) However, the trouble is that as things stand now, it would just create more empty forums, which are not very appealing to potential members.

If I add new MTG deck forums, would you guys be willing to populate them for me? Wink
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:13 pm
Cobra wrote:

If I add new MTG deck forums, would you guys be willing to populate them for me? Wink

I have 5 or 6 extended decks that are fun to play, but I never really considered them for posting, since the focus on the forums seems to be Standard, and I didn’t want to clutter up the forums with them.
Now that I see that people want extended sections, they’d be fun to post and see what everybody thinks.
So, I guess my vote is for newer sections Very Happy
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
physcosick
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm
I can easily contribute to the site’s deck section. I’m not too big on type 2 right now since i have drifted towards extended, at the moment. In the recent past I have drifted away from type 2 for type 1. So I could post my old type 1 deck, easily. Type 2, I can put up whatever deck I happen to play at my FNMs. I’m not big on multiplayer or any other format for that matter. However, I am very interested in Highlander so once I make a deck, I can put it up there.

It won’t be empty... it won’t be full... but it won’t be empty.

Also, you will need to distinguish between competitive and casual within the sub forums (if that is the way yo go about setting it up). Perhaps you can sticky the competitive decks or something... i dont know... it’s just more of a way to be organized. Perhaps sub-sub-forums within the sub forums for casual decks and competitive decks.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion