LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

55%
  [ 5 ]  55%

33%
  [ 3 ]  33%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:25 pm
Yeah...Shelob can be nice but with moria it is a much better use of the twilight to play more minions instead.
I’ll give it a 3.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:53 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
hblika wrote:
First of all, make sure what you write is correct! Are you sure Pallando can discard Web? How can Faramir, Captain of Gondor render Not This Time useless?

Again, mental slips. Yeesh, go easy on me for once and don’t vote me a 2 for a mental slip! Those comments were in no way essential to the strategy. I edited them; are you happy now?

Quote:
Allthough the Shelob/Gollum package might seem like a nice idea, it doesn’t really do much good to a Moria swarm deck. It doesn’t matter if Durin III is strength 212, or if Faramir, Son of Denethor prevents you from using skirmish special abilities during that skirmish. With Moria, all you care about are numbers. The number of minions that is. As long as you can get out enough minions on the Ring-bearer, what the rest of the companions can do don’t matter. For the first 2/3 of the game you will have to spend 10 twilight for Gollum/Shelob (ties up 3 companions). For that amount of twilight, you could easily play 4-8 Moria minions (and more if you have a few armories in play).

But how are you going to get all those minions? You can only put 4x Host of Thousands in your deck, as well as 4x Goblin Scimitar. Assuming you have 8x of a Moria goblin in hand, that’s theoretically 16 minions. Theoretically.

Furthermore...having 4-8 more minions really doesn’t matter, because you’ll be able to swarm almost any fellowship with Gollum, Shelob, and about four goblins. Add it all up, and that’s about 16. Compare a force of about eleven goblins, also for a similar twilight cost. What does one have that the other doesn’t? Try archery protection. Gollum + Shelob soaks up 7 archery wounds-Seven! That would winnow the eleven goblins down to four-not a very impressive swarm, is it?

I think you missed some of the point of the article. I don’t care if Durin is Strength 212 either. All I care about is tying up as many companions as I can. Which happened, for example, in my game vs. AP. He could only skirmish two companions, including his RB, and so I swarmed him with Gollum and three goblins, a total of 23 strength. It got the job done. And that’s all that matters.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:23 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yep. And supposing he cycles, and AT LEAST 5 of them get stacked in a Goblin Swarms, next time there will be around 18-20. Supposing, this time, 8 of them get stacked, he can try a final cycling to a massive 24 minions at site 9, or even more! (Believe me, it CAN be done in Open, I used to do it). What will you do then?
I don't like YOU.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:04 pm
Pallando, Well-Traveled takes that out too easily. And, as hblika noted, it can’t take out Web...and Shelob has plenty of ways to be recursed (is that even a word?).

In short, there’s plenty more ways to get minions out for a Site 4 or Site 5 kill. With pure Moria, as I mentioned, you can only use Host of Thousands, Goblin Scimitar, They Are Coming. Assuming that you’ve got four cheap Moria minons in a row, you get ten minions that way. Using up probably something around 20. But what if ten archery is unleashed? No more goblins.

But with this...you can instead get Gollum, Shelob, and four goblins out for about the same cost, and that’s still enough to swarm the fellowship. And Gollum and Shelob can soak up that ten archery without reducing the number of minions.

It doesn’t have to be ten archery, of course. If there’s more, one of your weaker goblins can bite the dust. If there’s less...well, that’s a good thing.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:06 pm
Actually, with Goblin Swarms and The Underdeeps of Moria, you can play a whole lot more. For a lot less than 2 0, mind you.

But archery has always been the bane of Moria swarms, and you seem to have found a way to get around that. However, personally, I never run an archery deck with less than 9 companions, and that in itself could be a problem for your deck .
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:58 pm
You can’t play that many minons with Underdeeps for under 20...you burn 3 every time! But I see your point.

Regarding the 9-comp thing...yeah, that is a problem. My answer is the same as with the Ents: punish them for breaking the rule! Fight back with Anduin Banks and City Gates, and they’ll regret it. That’s a base total of 10 minion archery, with five threat wounds triggered. Ouch!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:33 am
One final addition here: Ulaire Enquea. Twisted Evil That should take care of those big fellowships.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:16 am
Looks good. The deck doesn’t look extremely strong, but it’s an original idea and was well-written. A 4 from me!

Oh yeah, I did have a few questions about your match-ups. For example....

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Archery: Possibly the easiest threat to take out. Targeted archery is only good for knocking out Shelob

Couldn’t they take out lots of the Goblins with targeted archery? I mean, why attack Shelob?

I definitely see how untargeting archery can be taken care of, but targeted archery still looks like a threat.
Quote:
Hobbit "Beatdown": They may be pumping their Hobbits up to fantastic strengths, but Shelob, Her Ladyship can ensure that Sam, Great Elf Warrior doesn’t interfere with your plans

Don’t forget that if Frodo dies, Sam can take the Ring, and he can double-move with ease, since Sam can’t skirmish that turn (thanks Shelob! Wink).

Still, a good deck.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:04 pm
Regarding targeted archery...well, most of it centers around Legolas, Greenleaf and Reckless we rode. Reckless we rode is obviously best here to attempt to knock out Shelob, because otherwise you’re burning a single event to take out one little goblin. Which won’t help when you’ve got quite a few of them out. Greenleaf, well, he’s a little more of a problem, since he can down two minions in one shot. But if Shelob does her work...threat wounds will be coming in, and an exhausted Greenleaf can’t live forever.

Yeah, I forgot about Sam taking the Ring...pesky little hobbit! Of course, if there is a double that turn...you can pick off another hobbit with an overwhelm. Maybe even two hobbits. Man, maybe not as good a matchup as I thought...thanks for the reminder about Sam!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest