LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
80%
  [ 4 ]  80%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
inresponse
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:49 am
there weren’t that many paladins int he top eight of pt honalulu. That does not mean he isn’t played. The first Pro Tour of the standard format only gives the vague outline of what dekcs are going to be good in the new format. For a complete view, it is better to look after that time and see what is being played.

In my area, and many other areas that I have seen, a g/w agro deck with the normal white suite of weenies is accompanied by paladin en-vec and hand of honor. Hand in Hand, by magic online numbers the strongest deck in the format, has increased the count of paladins to at least 3 in most builds. THere aren’t too many other decks that use him, but the fact that he is played in two of the stronger archetypes makes him definitely worth considering.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:30 am
Well I must say I’m not going to count down the whole thing, but een if they have an unburnable paladin, I can still clear the rest fo the board. Two dmg/turn alone won’t kill me, and G/W agro has few other ways to hurt.

My point is while he may be played, he’s not played very much in very good decks.

He is worth considering, I suppose, but there’s not much you can do to change your playstyle because of him. Just swing on over or ping on over and try to clear the rest of their board.
inresponse
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:03 pm
the existence of paladin is not the only problem (although him + moldervine cloak pretty much kills you). There are so many weaknesses to this deck in the format that there really is no place for this archetype. Every deck has a way to kill your win condition, from char to mortify. If you counter the spells aimed at your creatures, you are still left with the attacking rumbling slums and burning tree shamans or the zur’s weirding lock or even a player going off with heartbeat. In a much slower format with fewer removal spells (mirage standard?) than this deck might be viable.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:10 pm
Since when was Zur’s weiding viable? Anyways, I’m not really worried about G/W beats since I’ve not seen a good G/W beats that was good around me. The slums are a big problem because I need to have a volcanic hammer to deal with them, or I need to shoot overhead.

G/R has actually stopped running char for flames of the blood hand as an anti-meta for things like hierarch etc which cause problems- problems which are prevented with flames.

And if anybody’s interested, I won a contest on another site with a deck I like way, way, way, way better than this one at http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?id=6500

and I hope that link doesn’t bug.... lemme try it.

Yup, it works.

(and no I’m not stopping writing for this site or anything crazy like that. I gave them this during the float time while I’ve been waiting on the spoiler)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:04 pm
I don’t expect anybody will mind if I edit out some of the slander?

I’ll leave in all the flaming that’s lawful, but slander I cannot tolerate. Plus, why would I want extra accounts and why do you think I have them? You Can’t vote more than once from an IP. Ask Conor.

Silly me assumes that the R/G Pro Tour Winning deck might be a good decklist to look at. Hm.. no char. Interesting.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:00 pm
Perhaps, inresponse, you would like to write an article this month and show me how it’s done? No offense, but if you can’t do something, don’t criticize those who try.

Nobody likes reading "oh this was a good article no further comments" anyway. Even if I like most of an article I’ll still pick at the points I don’t like becuase that’s what generates healthy discussions.

And I’m sorry to bust your bubble, but I don’t play FNMs. I didn’t quite make the T4 cut at states, though, if you’d like to make fun of me for that. I could have had more packs than I won.
Cobra
Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:34 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
I don’t expect anybody will mind if I edit out some of the slander? I’ll leave in all the flaming that’s lawful...

I, on the other hand, will just delete posts that consist entirely of flaming.

Inresponse, there is really no reason for this. If your reaction to a minor strategic disagreement is to leave the site, throwing insults and unfounded accusations on the way out, then I’m sure we (all three of us Laughing) will be better off.

On the other hand, you are free to post your rebuttal again if you can do so civilly. Personally I hope that you do, and that you continue to visit the site and share your Magic: The Gathering knowledge with us. Differing opinions make the community stronger...
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Cleston
Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:06 pm
great article! I love that deck, have one myself...

but I don’t see it as a bomb in constructed.. I play that deck for fun, and that’s it... creaturer emoval wrecks you...

I’d suggest more blue bouncing... Peel From reality, perhaps... It has always helped me get the tempo I need... besides, there isn’t much to do when an opponent plays any circle of protection: red, or a protection from red creature...

I am a budget player, and I have no char... so, to deal with heavy creatures, I play 4 Surveilling Sprites and 3 Fiery Conclusions, as well as Izzet Chronarc with Peel from Reality. Your deck is nice, won’t need it, but these are my favourite plays... Cool
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
r2d2quino
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:27 pm
This deck is soooo cool! And it gets better by adding new cards, so I don’t believe you got insulted for it! Anyway, a perfect score from me, I just wish you’d add in some of the newer cards to the build, like Skred or Surging Flame.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest