LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
TheJord
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:32 pm
My friend got pretty upset the other day when he played The Witch-King, Black Captain, Ulaire Nelya, Thrall of the One and Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin. Knowing my Knights would be devastated by Cantea and his death causing ability, because I need 2 skirmish actions to put a Fourth Level on him and then exert with my Gondor Bow to kill him, by which time he would of killed me. So I put the Fourth Level on him during one of the other skirmishes and then when it came to his skirmish, Boromir popped him.

Is this legal?
Last edited by TheJord on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NBarden
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:38 pm
No, because only the characters in the given skirmish are skirmishing. Sorry, he gotcha.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
TheJord
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:23 am
Well I wondered about that but then someone like Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One says "...he is skirmishing" where as in the Fourth Level it does not specify during a skirmish, just during the skirmish phase. This is what made me think it was legal.

Another example I would use to illustrate my point would be the Gothmog loop that I posted a while ago that mm used for an article. You dont use the Gorgoroth Troop’s skirmish ability during its skirmish, just during the skirmish phase. Another example would be Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One who does not specify his ability to be used if he is skirmishing, like Enquea does.
Last edited by TheJord on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:42 am
TheJord wrote:
Well I wondered about that but then someone like Ulaire Enquae, Thrall of the One says "...he is skirmishing" where as in the Fourth Level it does not specify during a skirmish, just during the skirmish phase. This is what made me think it was legal.

Well, Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One says "If Ulaire Enquea is skirmishing," which I think is actually a mistake in wording (note: opinion coming from the DC forums) and it should actually say "If Ulaire Enquea is assigned to a skirmish," (See: Gondorian Ranger, Frozen by Fear (especcially), Sense of Obligation to a lesser extent: Still they came, Uruk Rogue) which I believe is how they intended (I forget for sure).
Fourth Level could be used during any skirmish, but there has to be a minion in a skirmish with a Gondor Man in order for it to do anything.

For your other examples - Gorgoroth Troop’s ability is worded as a cost to do an effect. Yes, you can do it during another minion’s skirmish, because it doesn’t require him to be in a skirmish to do it. However, taken on its own, it’s not useful to do so (because of the effect wearing off at the end of the skirmish phase).
Likewise, Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One’s ability is worded just like Gorgoroth Troop, with the same results. You could use it during another’s skirmish, but its ability isn’t useful (by itself).
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
TheJord
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:59 am
So are you agreeing with me battle warg? Can I do what I did to Cantea? The Fourth Level does not say it has to be to the skirmish currently being resolved, just to a minion skirmishing a Gondor Man. As Bib would say, cards do exactly what they say.
corvus
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
BattleWarg, you are totally wrong about Enquea. He was meant to perform his ability ONLY during his skirmish. All cards do what they say, and if he there is on errata and just an opinion from someone like me or you in the forums, that does not make it official. Enquea uses his ability ONLY during his skirmish.

Fourth Level’s ability can be used at any time, but it will only be effective if you use on 2 SKIRMISHING characters. If you do not, you will perform the costs (spot or exert) then do as much of the effect as possible. That is, transfer to a minion SKIRMISHING a Gondor man (either the active skirmish or NO other). Of cource in the described situation there is no exhaustion taking place. All cards do what they say, and this one says: Do (cost) TO take me to a SKIRMISHING character (do as much as you can or nothing) and (same goes here).... That simple.

Gorgoroth Troop can use his ability anytime as it doesn’t specify the requirement of any characters skirmishing or involved in a skirmish. Of cource, during the end of the skirmish phase, all bonuses will vanish. Same goes for Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
TheJord
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:14 am
It appears Corvus has made it clear that my knights would have gotten pillaged.
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:10 pm
corvus wrote:
BattleWarg, you are totally wrong about Enquea. He was meant to perform his ability ONLY during his skirmish. All cards do what they say, and if he there is on errata and just an opinion from someone like me or you in the forums, that does not make it official. Enquea uses his ability ONLY during his skirmish.

Okay, I can admit I was mistaken - I thought it had been changed, but if not, my mistake.

corvus wrote:
Fourth Level’s ability can be used at any time, but it will only be effective if you use on 2 SKIRMISHING characters. If you do not, you will perform the costs (spot or exert) then do as much of the effect as possible. That is, transfer to a minion SKIRMISHING a Gondor man (either the active skirmish or NO other). Of cource in the described situation there is no exhaustion taking place. All cards do what they say, and this one says: Do (cost) TO take me to a SKIRMISHING character (do as much as you can or nothing) and (same goes here).... That simple.

That’s what I was saying (maybe not as well).

corvus wrote:
Gorgoroth Troop can use his ability anytime as it doesn’t specify the requirement of any characters skirmishing or involved in a skirmish. Of cource, during the end of the skirmish phase, all bonuses will vanish. Same goes for Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One.

Again, right. The bonuses vanish at the end, so during that skirmish, he’ll be stronger, but outside that skirmish he won’t.

TheJord wrote:
So are you agreeing with me battle warg? Can I do what I did to Cantea? The Fourth Level does not say it has to be to the skirmish currently being resolved, just to a minion skirmishing a Man. As Bib would say, cards do exactly what they say.

Not what you did. Sorry for the confusion, it was late night for me. As corvus said, you could exert, but not transfer.

TheJord wrote:
It appears Corvus has made it clear that my knights would have gotten pillaged.

Yes. Sorry for the confusion, but to state it clearly - corvus is completely correct.
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions