LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:20 am
Idea.

When Sauron the lord of the rings came out in reflections I thought he was great and wanted to use him as much as possible but the reality soon came that he was hard to get out and a bit of a hand clogger. Grimbeorn has helped solve that but none the less i was disappointed i couldn’t centre a deck round him. Adding burdens threats and controlling sites seemed a bit much for one culture to do, to allow him to be played with a deck consisting of less than 50 cards! Then the saviour of Mordor arrived. Bloodlines heralded the dark lord. And with toil x where x is the region and the minions dont have to be specific i could finally make a deck revolving round him.

Purpose.

To play lots of little guys and get the beast out preferably with his whacking stick to kill at least 2 companions. This combines swarm and beatdown evily. Twisted Evil

Variations.

I play this deck in 4 way multiplayer so i use evill smelling fens to fetch sauron to play on other people as i can toil there minions as well. Also exerting gollum twice still allows an exertion for toil. If you wanted to cut down the size you could chop esf, which also means you could chop gollum and captured by the ring if you wanted to use this one on one. But its always nice to have free threats and the gollum i have picked means he’s could be a lowly 3 if someone is using frodo and a non str ring, but could also be a str 11 if someone is pumping dwarves or gondor up. I think the risk is worth it as gollums str is a bonus anyway as its Sauron you want to focus on.

Alternatively if you find the deck too small, especially coupled with something like dwarves that cycle fast you might want to add more cards. Minions would be the best choice something like uruk pursuer etc. Costs 2 with 2 vitality. 1 costing minions are best if they have 2 health and if they stop roaming at 3 or 4.

Set up.

In a perfect world you would pull your evil smelling fens, throne and web out asap. Throne of the dark lord is just plain evil for this deck because its likely you can assign a minion due to the swarm and that means dmg +1 anywhere you want! The web means you can always recycle at least one minion for toiling sauron. The fens are there if you have discarded sauron because you drew him too early or you are facing multiple opponents. Then you dont really need sauron until site 4 onwards but he really comes into his own at site 7+ where he is also not roaming.

Tactics

Im sure those of you still reading this can work out the very uncomplicated way to use this. Region 1 is a no hoper so you probably wont be able to play sauron here unless you get given an obscene amount of pool. Region 2 is viable as at site 4 all the minions stop roaming. This means the 1 costing minions generate 1 pool effectively if exerted for sauron. The 2 pool guys mean they cost nothing if you get to play the big dog. Of course region 3 is where it all kicks off. Each guy you play that toils out sauron gives u a net pool advantage, meaning you get lots of minions for the swarm and a 26 strength dmg+2 fierce killing machine that with a club maims 2 companions for sure maybe more.

Deck.

(46)

Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor x4
sceptre of the dark lord x3
Throne of the dark lord

gollum hopeless x4
evil smelling fens x4
web
captured by the ring x4

orthanc warrior x4
isengard journeyman x4
isengard tinker x4
desert sneak x4
desert runner x4
unferth grimas bodyguard
desert warrior x4

I picked minions that cost less than 2, have more than 1 vitality, are useful without cultural reinforcement and can do stuff on their own. The raiders can wound people if you have initiative by chance and get ambush 1 for the heck of it. The isengard orcs can do a wound if they survive because they swarmed someone. Unferth just gets a free exertion. Warriors cos theyre 7 strenght damage +1 for 2 and the warriors cos they can remove excess pool for wounds. Then theres gollum who can be big depending on who the rb is.

This deck is more for fun that serious competition. So i dont know the match ups. Obviously anything that specifically targets a minion like what are they or Denethor last ruling steward followed by no travellers in this land or directed archery are going to urinate on your bonfire. General archery just shoots down your little guys so no swarm but still beatdown. Apart from that fighting decks or similar are in trouble!

I pair it with a fast cycling denethor posession steward that chucks out cards left right and centre, and in a multiplayer scenario. So it works well.

Enjoy using the minion that bought about the One Ring and created all that we know and hold dear to our hearts! Death, Pillage and Destruction.
Last edited by lem0nhead on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:44 am; edited 6 times in totalBan shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:27 am
42 cards is on the large side. I would cut a copy of every minion except Sauron and Unferth. You could also drop a copy of Evil-smelling Fens, which slims the deck down to 36 cards. Still large, but usable. Neat deck, and cool culture combination! GP
I had to put something here.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 am
Cheers AP i think you’ll find in 4 player its the right size. But like i said you can chop bits off it for less players, depends on how many times you wanna play sauron with minions by his side cos at 36 you might run out quick unless you mean for one on one. Thanks for the review though. Anyone else?

EDIT: When you reviewed it id missed the first 3 sections off where i explained why its large deck size! All better now...
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:55 am
Ah, I didn’t realize you were playing 4-player. In that case, nice deck! Applause
I had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:55 am
Maybe cut some of the two cost minions and run Huge Tentacle. Evil-Smelling Fens ensures that its a marsh, and he’s a tough 2 minion.

lem0nhead wrote:
Idea.

When Sauron the lord of the rings came out in reflections I thought he was great and wanted to use him as much as possible but the reality soon came that he was hard to get out and a bit of a hand clogger. Grimbeorn has helped solve that but none the less i was disappointed i couldn’t centre a deck round him. Adding burdens threats and controlling sites seemed a bit much for one culture to do, to allow him to be played with a deck consisting of less than 50 cards!

Hehehehe. http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3674. Check it out!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:07 am
I would use huge tentacle but i tend to stick to a 3 block rule. Thats why i wasnt using things like the orc that adds 2 for spotting an elf. Its my own way of playing standard but not quite. Rotation prevents stupid loops or too hard combos like using what are they with current rangers etc. So if i stick to a 3 block rule i dont exploit brokeness! Quite a few good fotr block minions to splash in this deck if you wanted.

LOL nice deck NB i stand corrected it seems!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Ah, I didn’t realize you were playing 4-player. In that case, nice deck! Applause

in 4- player almost any size goes, you might have trouble killing everyone, so you might want to pair it with a fellowship that can move fast.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded