LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:10 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Here’s a crazy idea I had.

The new fighting Ring-bearer Rohan strategy is built around Where Now the Horse?, right? The catch: it’s the only card in the bunch that doesn’t say "Ring-bearer" (or "Ringbearer" thanks to sloppy design Rolling Eyes), but instead says "Frodo". That got me thinking...why not use the only NON-Ring-bearer Frodo with this deck and use a different Ring-bearer entirely?

I thought about making this an article, and I still might later, but for now, think about this deck:

Sam, Bearer of Great Need (with The One Ring, The Ring of Rings)
Frodo, Frenzied Fighter (starting)
Eowyn, Northwoman (starting)

Merry, Noble Warrior
Gandalf, Defender of the West
Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan
Aragorn, Defender of Rohan
Eomer, Northman
Veteran Horseman
Rohan Stable Master x3
Horse of Great Stature x2
Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed
Rider’s Spear x2
Rider’s Bow x2
Where Now the Horse x4
Last Days of My House x2
Riding Like the Wind
They Sang as They Slew x2
Knights of His House x2
On Your Doorstep x4

The primary strategy here is using Eowyn to assign Sam to a skirmish and making minions in that skirmish lose keywords. Then use your other Rohan companions (who will be quite beefed up with Sam assigned) to beat up other minions. Then have Sam’s skirmish last, and at the last moment, swap in Frodo instead. Pump HIM up with Where Now The Horse, and watch your opponent stare dumbfounded.

The rest of the deck is pretty self-explanatory: pure, unabashed pumps. Get everyone mounted with the mounts and Stable Masters; the events are all focused on mounted companions. Throw in Riding Like the Wind when you get it to move more quickly down the sitepath. Gandalf can be a pretty nice help in battle with his 9 strength, but he’s mainly in there to use On Your Doorstep to get Where Now The Horse (and other cards, as needed) back from your discard pile. Merry is a decent fighter too, but you could easily swap in Merry, Swordthain instead to ensure you always have your mounts and weapons to play with. Sam, aside from being one of very few ARBs with no skirmishing drawback, can get up to 10 resistance with all the Hobbits out, and has an ability that works wonders with those followers, too.

This is the first time I’ve done anything like this, so I’m sure the deck is too huge or too varied or too weak in multiple areas, so be gentle. Embarassed But I think my general idea is sound. I hope, at least. Rolling Eyes
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:31 am
Great idea, Dain! Applause

The deck looks good to me, but Rohan is not my forte. Razz

A couple of GP are coming your way! Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 am
Is it too big? 31 cards in the deck SEEMS like a lot to me, but I’m not sure what an ideal FP side should be....

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:37 am
Remember Dain that you need to have 30 cards at least for each side, so 31 should really never seem like a lot. Wink

Most of my decks are 33 cards each, but several of them cycle faster and need 35 cards (or even 37!). A couple of my slower-cycling decks clock in at 30 cards.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:39 am
Okay, good. Smile

So, rookie question: what kind of Shadow would pair well with this? I think I’d like to make it an article now that I think about it, but I could use a tip or two on what direction to take with the other side. GPs for help. Smile

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:49 am
If you play Expanded, then Moria swarm. Thumbs Up

If you play Standard, Men archery cycles pretty well, at least in my experience.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:55 pm
So I want something that cycles well. Hmmm.... Think

How about minions with muster? Anyone tried that for a well-cycling deck? Uruk-hai and Wraith have some potential....

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:06 pm
Orc underground corruption with Unforgiving Depths. Thumbs Up

Edit: Deck design.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:21 pm
How about Orkish Swarm with Unforgiving Depths:

Shadow (31)
Goblin Hordes x4
Unforgiving Depths x3
Ordnance Grunt x4
Scurrying Goblin x4
Orkish Scout x4
Orkish Runner x3
Orkish Worker x3
Orkish Smith x4
Massing Strength x2

That deck can play 16 minions if set up correctly.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard