LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open
turkeymk
Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:17 pm
This deck can exhaust the fellowship, put Frodo at 9 burdens, and heal it all without any need for a sanctuary. Massive directed wounding and some killer combos.

Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, Answer to All Riddles

Gandalf, Leader of Men (s)
Aragorn, Strider (s)
Merry, Friend to Sam (s)
Smeagol, Slinker (s)
Legolas, Greenleaf
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Bilbo Baggins, Retired Adventurer
Pallando, Far-travelling One x2

Gandalf’s Pipe x3
The Gaffer’s Pipe x2
Frodo’s Pipe
Aragorn’s Pipe
Aragorn’s Bow x3
Old Toby x2
Halfling Leaf x4
Gandalf’s Staff
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer x2
Hobbit Sword x3
Anduril, Sword that was Broken x2
Narya
Phial of Galadriel, The Light of Earendil x3
Frodo’s Cloak

The Shire Countryside x4
Shadowplay x3
The Saga of Elendil

Terrible and Evil x2

Total: 48

This deck is a new variation of my favorite fellowship - Smeagol, Slinker/Gandalf’s Pipe/Shire Countryside healing madness. Pardon me if I’m rusty - I haven’t played in quite awhile as I’m living far away from anyone to play with. Anyway, the healing generated by Shire Countryside allows you to go to town with directed wounding. If anything unusually nasty survives to the skirmish phase, it can bounce off Smeagol. It doesn’t matter if Frodo goes up to 9 burdens - they can be peeled right off at the next site. There’s condition removal. Bilbo can bear a pipe, and get countrysides back if they get discarded (or pipeweed).

Weaknesses - Mass condition removal would be nasty, and if the shadow does manage to kill a key companion early it breaks down. If several strong minions survive to skirmish at Cavern Entrance, it could get ugly. Still, the other (more skirmish-oriented) version I played proved to be almost impossible to kill (although not always great at double moves).

Also - Shire Countryside doesn’t belong on the x-list in my opinion. Sure, it can do amazing things, but it’s combo -dependant and it’s not like many top-tier fellowships are built around it.

Edit - thanks for your comments. I extensively reworked it, and decided to focus on the starting fellowship. They get extra copies of key possessions for a faster setup and protection from possession removal, and extras can be discarded with muster. Legolas and Eowyn are optional, replacement companions who I might not play depending on the matchup.

The deck is really big, although it can cycle with the phial. Needs to be paired with Moria, probably. I could try to trim the deck by cutting out the pipes and rely on Glamdring, Narya, Frodo’s Cloak, and such for burden removal. What do you think?

The deck has major strengths. Healing, burden-removal, built-in counters. Shadowplay could help with troll bombs by exerting the keyward. Combined with Terrible and Evil, I should be able to shoot up forestgul bombs as well. Merry can exert to pump Gandalf, when he wins the skirmish with Glamdring, Foe-Hammer I can remove a burden and heal Merry or anyone else who needs it (and also discard a condition with Pallando). Ninja Gollum will have a hard time surviving to the skirmish (and he’ll run into nearly unkillable Smeagol if he does).
Last edited by turkeymk on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:59 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
add the saga of elendil and The tale of gil-galad. I have always wanted to see a deck like this!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
turkeymk
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:10 am
d'oh! as I mentioned I haven’t played in awhile, and I forgot an important point - to play Shire Countryside you need to spot 2 hobbit companions (yet another reason that card isn’t broken). Anyway, I’ll probably start Gandalf, LoM with Merry, Friend to Sam and Pippin, WoBaS or Pippin, Remove a Burden and become expendable.

Moving Legolas out of the starting lineup means multiple copies, and then those Sagas...I think it’ll be have to be expanded to about 45 cards and paired with Moria. Anyway, I’ll have to keep working on it later or if anyone has other ideas, feel free to share.
yerkamig
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:47 am
The Prancing Pony can pull Aragorn. Then you could either add three more copies of Legolas or change your Gandalf, then start your second Hobbit.

Looks like fun!
turkeymk
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:36 am
I guess I could start Aragorn, Strider with Merry, Friend to Sam. I don’t want to bid high to make sure I get the pony, because I may need to add burdens for Smeagol to survive early, tough minions.
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:06 pm
turkeymk wrote:

Also - Shire Countryside doesn’t belong on the x-list in my opinion. Sure, it can do amazing things, but it’s combo -dependant and it’s not like many top-tier fellowships are built around it.
Love to hear some suggestions/comments

Well, the reason many top tier decks aren’t built around it is because it is indeed on the X-list. Wink Otherwise, with all the new Shire burden removal cards such as, oh, Bilbo, Aged Ring-Bearer, would get to remove two burdens (and that is a conservative estimate of how many ring-bound hobbits you could spot) and heal two companions (or more with multiple copies) every time he is assigned to a skirmish. This would make ring-bound hobbits unbeatable.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:55 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
it says except by a hobbits game text so it wouldn’t be broken with sam son of hamfast. it is still good though. it was X’ed because of infin gandi
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 pm
Instead of 4x Aragorn, Thorongil, add in Aragorn, Strider with Merry, Loyal Companion. He can be a beast. Throw Greenleaf into the deck, have a couple copies, and add Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien with Coif. Twisted Evil Cut Roll of Thunder, not many decks use Shadow possessions or artifacts. Consider Deep in thought.

Use Glamdring, Foe-Hammer over the typical Glamdring, and consider some Shadowplay, (if you run Merry).

(BTW, the card you’re looking for is Terrible and Evil).
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open